Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

The sound of this couragous album is, in itself a crafter of a new wave of music, but firmly keeps its feet planted between rock's hazy guidlines. It takes a step on from Guns N' Roses memorable accomplishments, while still continuing their rock legacy. The powerful chords and riffs lay a stunning path for the untouchable solo's which croud your eardrums. Weiland's vocals fit confortably into well timed beats and this only adds to the great sound. 'Slither' sets scene for a masterpiece in the album and the band's future, and 'fall to pieces' touches greatly on the rating of the album, highlighted as you hear Slash's gibson sing serenades that will mark your mind. The only argument I have with VR is the added bonus track 'Bodies' which I beleive sufficiently dents the album and shows not everything is perfect.

I find it hard to call the lyrics of this album 'average' as the quality seem to peak and trough from song to song. While lyrics from, 'Fall To Pieces' and 'You Got No Right' beg for your attention, it is let down slightly from songs such as, 'Big Machine', which while being a good song leaves little space for imaginitive lyrics. They seem slightly sluggish and repetitive. The lyrics over the album fit well with the music, as does Weiland's skills keeping up with the pace.

I think it reflects on a past of Guns N' Roses and digs up licks from the Rolling Stones and Slash's Snakepit. Do get the best overview of the album I would recommend: Fall To Pieces, Slither and You Got No Right, as I fing they peak the album. A very worth well album to buy and to keep listning to, and I think it gives a good idea of what may come from the band in the future. Definately one of my favourite albums!