Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

This album is incredible. Long awaiting have we been to listen to a CD of this magnitude. Every song has a distinct sound or classic Slash riff to remember it by. The way in which Slash's guitar, along Kushner providing the rythem, sounds is near perfection. Take "Fall To Peices" a basic 4 or 5 note riff by Kushner and Duff behind Slash and his genius riff. And the bridges are untouchable.

Weiland has done exceptionally well in writing the lyrics for this album. Using real life experiences and all the shit that he went through with his wife and kids, has really enhanced the lyrical content. He has great one liners; "Funny right here I find myself inside a paper cup" or "keep me running like a deer in the headlights" thoughout the whole album. The verses to every song have meaning and flow beautifully, never on the album do you find lyrics awkward or hard to understand, they obviously have sentimental meaning to him and the members. For example, "Do It For The Kids" Slash has a great deal of influence on that song, due to his upcoming compilation for children. Weilands voice matches if not out does Axl's voice. Scott can be down right hard and agressive (Headspace) and soft and harmonic (Loving The Alien) his versatility is under-rated. I also like the fact that Weiland admits to challenging himself in a couple songs, read the liner notes.

In my opinion this is the best album of the last long while. Everything about it rocks, you could compare it Appetite for Destruction but that's far too easy a comparison. The albums originality makes it very difficult to decipher a comparable album. "Headspace" and "You Got No right" are the highlights of the album in my opinion due to Slash's ear bleeding solo's and great hooks, but like I stated earlier, the whole album is awesome to listen to. There isn't one bad song on the album, some are better than others but on the whole you have earned what you paid for.