Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

Before I begin I would just like to say that Velvet Revolver is one of my fav bands. The songs on this CD is a breath of fresh air for a hard rock deprived generation. I myself am only 15 but I listen to mostly old bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Nirvana and AC/DC (just to name a few, I like death metal too) so I know what music used to be and I am fed up with the crappy rocks bands we have today. Bands like Good Charolette make today's youth think that they are what rock should be when are defintiely not. Velvet Revolver plays hard rock and plays it very well. The songs are load and melodious at the same time. Slash really shines on this CD with amazing guitar solos like in Slither and Dirty Little Thing. But I still think he could have played better on some of the other songs. Some of the songs sound remotley like Guns N' Roses and some sound like Stone Temple Pilots but the rest are sound totally original and epitemise what rock should be these days. Their songs are really more hard rock than heavy metal so some metal heads would be disappointed. But I fell in love with this cd when I heard it.

Scott Weiland has an amazing voice. His voice sounds so different in the songs that you have to stop and wonder if it is the same person singing. His voice can be soothing like in the slow sons or can be deep and hateful in the faster songs. The lyrics are kinda hard to figure out. They a bit too vague but this kust adds to the listening experience as you can interpret the song as you like. Some people might like having to think though but I do.

This CD is excellent and I recommend it to everyone, especially the people of the mew generation how don't know what true rock should sound like. It isn't a death metal CD but it a very good hard rock album. I would definitely buy it again if it was lost.