Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

Really good sound out of this CD, it's really a fresh new sound that we needed. Some people don't like Weiland, and I'm not a big fan when he's singing over hard rock, but there's no denying he's a good vocalist. He can keep up with the pace and he doesn't sing out of tune. Although it sounds like a GN'R/STP mix, it still has a modern feel to it which is why it's innovative. Slither, Fall To Pieces, Dirty Little Thing and some others are great. Overall, great sound- Slash sounds awesome.

Scott Weiland has the skills again, some might not like his voice, but even when his voice is irritating, you realize that when he holds those notes, it's rather soothing. Really, the radio killed their 3 singles for me, which thank god didn't ruin the other not so great songs. Some lyrics really shine, and others, what can I say, Slither, Fall To Pieces, Dirty Little Thing, Big Machine, Superhuman + other good songs would be good, but instead they took those songs and added half a cd of crappy songs. Very good lyrics though, not Fade To Black, but good.

If it was lost or stolen, I'd buy it only after their next album came out, and if it never came out, I'd wait 2 or so years after buying this, cause I get tired of it. Slash could have been so much better, and the GN'R/STP mix could have been so much less irritating. Love all the singles, Superhuman, Big Machine and some other songs, but the other stuff put more effort into your non single work next time please VR - impress more people next album. I would have given this a 3, but it gets about a 3.8 for overall impression, and for those that think 3 is a bad rating, it's not, 3.8 is above average, and VR is an above average band, except Slash and Duff are awesome, you can say Scott is kvlt too, but hey he wears tight pants and that gets bothersome sometimes. But on the other hand, they kinda match is druggy face.