Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

The main thing that got to me as I listened to this album was how it was so similar to Guns, and yet so different. Rather than taking bits and pieces from their previous bands, Slash, Scott Weiland, and company just do what they always have done. The result is a Guns N' Roses/Stone Temple Pilots hybrid, and it's bad. This is not to say this entire album is bad; it's just not what I wanted. The solos are only okay, whereas Guns' solos always soared to unforeseen hights. "Slither" is okay, but the horrible "Fall To Pieces" is just unbearable. It's like the sequel to "Sweet Child O' Mine," only bad.

I don't like Scott Weiland, and I don't like Stone Temple Pilots. His lyrics aren't good, except maybe on "Slither." His voice just doesn't have the power needed to front a band with this kind of energy.

Well, it's not Guns N' Roses, but that's unfair because nothing is. I listen to this album attempting to forget "Welcome To The Jungle" or "Sweet Child O' Mine," but it just won't happen. You hear Scott sing and wish sadly to yourself that he were Axl. That is not to say it's horrible, though. Slash is one of the most badass guitarists of all time, ranking up there with Jimmy Page and Joe Perry. As mentioned before, his solos lack the energy he once had, but I'd be damned if I could do better. His fingers still fly across the fretboard with incredible speed and accuracy, making it a more enjoyable experience. I realize this review (and most reviews) have made plenty of Guns N' Roses comparisons. It's not fair, but as an audience we can't help it until Velvet Revolver truly hits their stride.