Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

The sound on contraband was simply incredible. The revitalizing breeze that this CD brings to the table easily and entirely destroys the horrid simple emo and punk bands out there. No offense to those kinds of music, but Velver Revolver is simply, loud, in your face, dont give a crap about what you think rock n' roll, and thats something Hard Rock fans have missed ever since GN'R split up. The combo of Slash and former Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland is indeed unusual, but Weilands modern voice, combined with the incredible guitar play of Slash molds perfectly. So this CD sorta combines good modern rock, with good old rock. A winning combo.

I always did like Scott Weiland's voice back when he was with STP. His combination of meaningful lyrics, and his easily recognizable voice is a good match for the music. Songs like Slither just make you want to headband with its catchy riff, and Weilands impressive singing style. Hard rockers of old may grumble a bit, because Weiland does not have the traditional Hair Metal band wailing voice, but it will soon grow on you, as soon as you realize how good his voice blends in the the musical stylings of the former GN'R members.

Personally I think this CD was the fresh breeze of good old hard rock that everybody needed. I personally was tired of hearing simplistic punk riffs on the radio, I did miss the heavy, in your face rock n' roll that only a reconstruction of former GN'R members could bring. Again no offense to people who like punk, but I just missed the rock of old. If you havent heard old rock before, then you dont know what you're missing.