Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

This really should be the best album of the decade. Any band combining GN'R and STP that make an album should be worth buying. And this album is definitely worth buying. But there's something about Contraband that doesn't quite fit. Contraband is probably the best 2 guitarist, metal record of this decade so far (maybe Metallica just better). But having said that in some areas it is fairly weak. The guitar parts are awsome (of course it is it's Slash for gods sake) but there's something about the way Weiland sings just doesn't work for me. His vocals on 'Fall To Pieces' (the Sweet Child O' this album) are amazing and he really conveys the song well. But he seems to try a bit too hard to impersonate Axl's low voice on 'Dirty Little Thing', which is a good song. This is a good album, one of the best of the 21st century so far, but it's no GN'R album.

As I said before, Scott Weilands voice doesn't quite seem to fit the songs sometimes. But his songwriting abilities are excellent I think. 'Fall To Pieces', 'Slither' and 'Dirty Little Thing' are all great songs. I love the reasoning Slash gave behind writing 'Dirty Little Thing'. "I hate to give her credit, cos she's such a tart, but the lyrics are inspired by Paris Hilton, so keep that in mind when you're listening to the song." I did keep it in mind, and it made the song so much better. But overall the lyrics are probably the strong point on this album, apart from Slash.

You cannot compare this to any GN'R album, ever. Not even Spaghetti Incident. You can't even compare it to a STP record either. But having said that, it is still a good album to buy. Listen out for 'Dirty Little Thing' and 'Fall To Pieces', the strongest songs. I like this album beause its the first full length album that Slash Duff and Matt have appeared on it together since Spaghetti. I love this album because of Dave Kushners guitar playing (severely underrated), but there's something about it that doesn't make it an instant classic. But it's still a pretty good album. Go and buy it, just for novelty purposes.