Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

The sound is, in my opinion, a more raw and "in-your-face" type of sound than Guns N' Roses. It is, too, more of what appears to be a "modern rock" album, rather than what might become what GN'R will become soon (hopefully). However, some similarities to GN'R are still there. Slash's awesome riffs and solos for one.

The lyrics are, in my opinion, just full of explicit language just for the sake of it, used too often, thus removing the effect, but then again so is most music. The singer has quite a bit of talent, but it may not be being used to its full potential.

Compared to some other albums I have bought, this is an inferior album, and I don't think I would buy it again, dependant on the price. Some of the best songs are "Slither," "Headspace," "Do It For The Kids" and "Big Machine." Though, overall, I think VR are just a band trying to re-create the success of Guns N' Roses, and this, in my opinion, puts a sort of barrier on originality, thus making the album less impressive.

fod_666
    yeah tht tool who gave Contraband obviously hasn't got an iota of musical taste/knowledge.his/her review wasn't even filled with subtle opinions...pathetic