Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

Velvet Revolver's sound is a kind of "meet in the Middle", like if, say, Led Zeppelin were to meet Pearl Jam and have an illegitamite love child. Velvet Revolver were formed when ex of Guns N' Roses Slash, Duff and Matt got together to jam. They realised they still rocked, and enlisted ex of Stone Temple Pilots Scott Weiland.

The lyrics are done as a band (the CD leaflet says) and are extremely good. Some of it sounds a bit GN'R reminiscant, and Slither at least sounds STP ish. Other than that, they are awesome, just listen to fall to pieces, and you'll understand. Musically, the lyrics go well with the music, probably owing to the fact all the band have a huge bucketload of experience. It has been said the lead singer sounds like a less whiny Axl, but I can't see it, I think it's a perfect match.

It does compare, largely, to GN'R, for obvious reasons. There are some of the intros sweet child o mine-ish, and some are very GN'R-ish, but again, it's a modern band, that would be able to cut it in 1986, and 2006. They are very versatile. The most impressive songs, in my opinion, are fall to pieces, slither, and sucker train blues, but it's like saying the Les Paul classic is better than the Les Paul Standard, they're both excellent, but ones a bit better, same here, they're all bloody awesome songs, just these stand out a bit more.

BucketheadRules
    "I'd say he looks like what would happen if Callista Flockhart was ever raped by David Bowie" I lol'd.
    SLASHer77
    this is the the 3rd best cd in my opinion. 1st)Appetite for Destruction 2nd)GNR's Greatest Hits
    Shimekiri
    I'd like to point out that this is NOT Guns N' Roses and NOT STP. So breadfan82 don't talk shit about things like that. This is a brand new band... Just because members originate from older bands does not make the new band a sequel to their previous bands. I tell you this all I heard was Slash was making a newe band I didn't even bother reading the Reviews or DLing it first I jumped on it. Surprisingly enough it OWNED. GNR was awsome, Snakepit was awsome, Slash is Legendary... all this means he's got something to bring to that new band. He did awsome album get it.
    Normozoidz
    Normozoidz
    Will the assh0les stop comparing Velvet Revolver to the members previous bands?!!!!
    ThunderKiss65
    "axl this...izzy that..." VR never promised to be GN'R, and quite frankly, compared to today's "Band who used to rule the world now made of cheap sessions players to help boost Axl's ego (formally known as Guns N' Roses)), I'm glad. The less said about GN'R when talking about VR the better, because VR offer a healthy injection of hard-ass rock n' roll which is welcome in this time of indie/emo clone bands...
    6al9oy
    Midnight Rocker
    6al9oy wrote: ok... this may not be able to compare to past GnR or STP albums but hey its better than metallica's St. Anger album and that is enough reason to buy this album.
    dude, no. st anger was a great album...yeah, im one of the tiny minority who thought it was good. VR's good too, but you cant match st anger for the emotion and the feeling.
    Midnight Rocker
    Normozoidz wrote: This IS one the fewest bands who really means rock 'n' roll unlike those EMO AS*HOLES and mainstream pop rock like CLICK 5. Velvet Revolver F*CKING ROCKS!!!
    you, my friend, are EXACTLY right. death to emo! bring back TRUE hard rock.