Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

Hard rock with a darker tint. These guys must be like wine because they just get better with age. The industrial sound brought in from Dave meshes instantly with Slash's slippery solos. Indefinately Slash at his best second only to the work in Snakepit and on Appetite for Destruction. As for the drums I can say I'm ecstatic to hear Sorum beating the snare for all it's worth. Lots of hard songs with a few soft songs with a sharp edge to them. Scott's vocals give it all the kick in the ass you want from a hard rock band. From his low growl to his soft serenade he fits the music perfectly.

Scott has worked wonders for the message behind the sound. It has all the points of drug addiction and rehab along with the classic 'f--k off' message for those who choose to disagree. The lyrics over such coordinated instrumentals and melody fit so perfectly that you can almost think they were written by the diety of rock himself.

The album could've been a tad better, a few more hard songs and maybe a GN'R remake. But overall it has a little somethign for everyone's taste and mood. Slash's soloing for the dedicated faith in the guitar heroes; a singing voice American Idol couldn't revoke; and just some kickass songwriting. My favorites on this would have to be Headspace, Slither and Set Me Free. This album is a must have and there is no exception for anyone.

jfsj123
    oi the guy who gave it 5.3 ur bonkers vr are amazin n cant wait for new album libertad
    Spiritweaver
    I'm definatly much more of a Velvet Revolver myself, and this is coming from someone who practically worshiped GN'R. This CD gets played about twice a day at least, and Libertad is just as good Slash 4 life!!