Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

Even though this review is coming 3 years late, I still feel I have to give a review to one of my most treasured and beloved albums of all time, Contraband by Velvet Revolver, which, in case you're one of the odd people who still don't know, is made up of former GNR bandmates' duff, matt sorum, and the legendary slash, the line-up is completed by former STP frontman scott weiland and former wasted youth guitarist dave kushner. The sound on this album kicks ass, easily one the best albums in the history of rock n roll and the top album of 2004 in my opinon, here's a track by track description: 01. Sucker Train Blues - odd into, good riff, avaerage singing, great solo, but nothing stands out. 02. Do It For The Kids - nice riff, good ending solo, the vocals were alright for this one, but osmething felt missing. 03. Big Machine - I love the drum and bass intro for this one, the vocals are also pretty well done, the chorus is simply killer, could've used a solo. 04. Illegal I Song - not a great song, I don't like the way scott screams in this song, but the guitar work and drums made it acceptable. 05. Spectacle - definite improvement from the previous track, the riff sounds pretty good, the singing and instrumental work also fit together well. 06. Fall To Pieces - with 3 members being former GNR bandmates, this "follow-up" to sweet child o mine was expected, it may not have the legendary intro or the kick-ass solo, but I found this song addictive, from the ringing riff that recurs to the incredibily sing-a-long-able chorus. Great song. 07. Headspace - probably the most head-banging riff in the album, the vocals were top notch in this one, the solo was good, and the bass and drums definitely delivered too. 08. Superhuman - another great riff by VR, the guitars were good in this one, but the bass and drums weren't that good, bt still a good song, thanks to vocals and guitars. 09. Set Me Free - very repititive, the vocals may have been good, but I thought the instruments didn't sound as good compared to the previous tracks. 10. You Got No Right - the best vocals in the whole album, scott sounds amazing in this one, a good ballad which then distorts nicely, a very good chorus too. 11. Slither - a great great riff with a trademark slash solo, the drums were simple in this song but it worked, not much to talk about in the bass, good vocals. 12. Dirty Little Thing - excellent riff, catchy chorus, amazing shredding solo by slash, brill song. 13. Loving The Alien - a good ending to a solid album, not a bad song, the vocals were kind of whiny in this one, but it still delivered with the drums and bass.

I never paid any attention to the lyrics as I just listen for the vocals and the instrumental work, this happens with me no matter what I listen to, so I didn't actually care much. But when I decided to examine the lyrics a little closer when I had time, I foudn that they were just your normal set of rock n roll lyrics, sex, booze, girls and some other subjects, nothing really stood out but with this album just listen for the music, the lyrics really don't compare.

This album was a great experience for me, VR definitely is a great band with more to offer, the most impressive stuff from the album would be Dirty Little Thing, Fall To Pieces, Slither, Headspace, You Got No Right and Big Machine, the other songs are also good stuff to listen to so I can honestly say this album is an album that I can listen to from beginning to end with no skips whatsoever. Any fans of GN'R, STP, and any good rock band should be looking out to buy this album, totally recommended.

slashismyhero92
    Midnight Rocker wrote: Normozoidz wrote: This IS one the fewest bands who really means rock 'n' roll unlike those EMO AS*HOLES and mainstream pop rock like CLICK 5. Velvet Revolver F*CKING ROCKS!!! you, my friend, are EXACTLY right. death to emo! bring back TRUE hard rock.
    i agree, GN'R STP VR etc are hard rock, not all da new crap u hear on da radioXD