Contraband Review

Velvet Revolver: Contraband
Released: June 8, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock
The intensity of the music on Contraband is a selling point, heartbroken lyrics that fill the songs with lingering emotion.
 Lyrics: 8.2
 8.8
 8.7
 8.9
 1,456
Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2004

Sound: The main sound on this record is just straigh, in-your-face Rock n' Roll. The album has 10 rockers, 1 power ballad and two slow ballads. Dave brings a great industrial side to the album and blends with Slash's Les Paul perfectly. The Rockers on this album are all accompanied by Duff's groovy bass work and Matt's hard hitting snares. Together with Slash's awesome solos and Scott's powerfull, low voice it creates a bit of a dark atmosphere of people who've been through all the shit of the music industry, and now just want to rock. The ballads on the album are also very good, with Loving The Aliens (Sometimes) being the best of them, with Pink Floyd meets GNR sound to it. That song is one of the best in recent years, and surely the best work Slash has done since the GNR days, with great guitarwork and amazing emotional solo. The best part about the album's sound is the guitarwork, with Slash's amazing Les Paul and Dave's great industrial sound they create great stuff, not the most innovative things, but surely great stuff are different from what we got used to in the last couple of years, i.e Superhuman, Dirty Little Thing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have been the fans' biffest concern before this album came out, since scott is not known for his great lyrics. But in this album scott really proved that not only he's a great vocalist, he's also a good songwriter, Superhuman, Loving the Alins (Sometimes), Do it for the Kids and You Got No Right are the lyrical highlights for me in this album. Also the lyrics are not mindblowing, it's decent enough, together with Scott's voice, which sounds better here than on any STP record, it's all good. // 8

Overall Impression: Great great album. If you're expecting a GNR sequel, you won't get it. If you're expecting an STP sequel, you won't get it. If you want Rock and fuckin' Roll that is all about rocking and kicking ass, together with quality guitar playing (by both guitarists, Dave raeally surprised me) like the music industry haven't had in years, that's exactly what you're gonna get. This album is for hard, heavy Rock n' Roll fans. No keyboard, violin, special effects bullshit! // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 18, 2004

Sound: The music on Contraband is great. It comes as a relief from all the punk rock music thats been clogging the air waves (not to say that all punk rock sucks). The Slash, Duff, and Matt combo is back baby! And they completely make up for bad lyrics. The solos are great just like any other Slash solo from GN'R/Snakepit/Etc. Dave Kushner also sounds excelent. The ballads are great but they don't quite match up to "Don't Cry" or "Patience" but hey, they're still awesome. Scott's voice isn't like the old rock and roll voices of past times and in turn, gives the album a more modern sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album is completely lame with the exception of a few songs such as Big Machine and others. However, like I said earlier, the music makes up for it. And let's face it, Scott is no Izzy Stradlin but he still has some good writing skills. His style of music and songwriting is just a little different. He's more abstract and it seems to me like he cares more about how the overall song sounds rather than if the lyrics makes sense to the audience. Also, it's important to note that Scott didn't write all the lyrics himself. // 6

Overall Impression: Finally I can listen to the radio again! I'm actually just 17 and I wasn't around during GN'R's hayday but when I started listening to them a few years ago, I was hooked to classic rock. All these years i chose only to listen to things that had to deal w/ GN'R and classic rock cuz most of the music today is more like noise with lame lyrics. Contraband is what many of us have been waiting for: a genuine rock album. I'm a huge Slash fan and this record is great. I think that the album sounds more like STP than it does Guns N' Roses but nothing will be like the original. Listen to this album and take it for what it is. Velvet Revolver is one of the best bands of the year so get out there and get this album. Also, listen to the ballads as they are the highlights of the album and try not to let the lyrics spoil it for you. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: Alexsy, on may 13, 2005

Sound: In this album, you get an awful mix of GN'R and STP. There's a lot to talk about, so let's take this bit by bit. First, let's talk about Slash. Everyone seems to be in awe of Slash. And, given his background in GN'R, that's probably a deserved reverence. But on this album, quite frankly, he sounds terrible. First, and most noticably, is that every song on the album might as well be the same thing. If they have influences other than "pop metal," it isn't obvious to me. Slash's guitar tone is dreadful, dreadfully boring. Humbucker. Marshall stacks. Lots of noise. But very little actual control over how the guitar sounds in between. I was really disappointed with his work on this album, I have to say. It's just like, the songs are either loud or quiet, or full-on distortion, or not, when there are so many interesting areas in between. I got very bored with this guitar rock very quickly. Sometimes, simplicity can work. But this isn't so much simplicity as it appears to be a failure to consider interesting sounds. They have all sorts of processed effects (because those are cool or not), but the guitars themselves have nothing interesting to say by themselves. really quite a sad de-evolution. Scott Weiland really can sing. Go listen to Purple, or Tiny's Music From the Vatican Gift Shop, or Shangri-LA-DE-DA (STP's final release). It's just that for whatever reason, on this mistake of an album, he chose not to sing well. his voice sounds weak and thin. Following in the general theme of good musicians doing bad work, neither Matt Sorum or Duff McKagan do anything of note on either the drums or bass. It's your standard pop-hard-rock fare, with nothing really to say about it good or bad. It's just there. Yawn. Another point of contention I have is that the band often ends up sounding like GN'R trying badly to cover STP. STP wrote amazing songs in their day. Go listen to track 10, then listen to Sex Type Thing, and tell me that there's no ripping off going on here. It's a joke, really. And STP wrote great songs, it's just that most of them weren't on Core, the album that VR is most clearly trying to steal from. So, VR is really an STP cover band that's covering the worst STP material. I give this album a because it falls into the worst possible category an album can fall into, I simply don't care about it. It hurts me to give this rating to one of my favorite singers, Scott Weiland, but I really have to do it. // 2

Lyrics: Godawful. It's really shockingly bad. Ok, Scott Weiland was never a great lyricist, but he was never embarassingly awful. In fact, at times, with STP, he could be quite good. Not the case on this album. It's either drugs or marriage, and there's not a whole lot left to say about either topic if you ask me. It just gets old, and it gets old quickly. // 2

Overall Impression: I'm glad I didn't buy this album. I wouldn't, and I would never reccomend that anyone else do. Look, here's what you should do instead. Go listen to STP. Go listen to GN'R. Listen to them seperately. Then you'll hear two great bands doing their own thing, unburdened by some ridiculous supergroup experiment that takes the worst elements of them both and combines them into something awful. Please, stay away from VR. // 2

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2005

Sound: The main thing that got to me as I listened to this album was how it was so similar to Guns, and yet so different. Rather than taking bits and pieces from their previous bands, Slash, Scott Weiland, and company just do what they always have done. The result is a Guns N' Roses/Stone Temple Pilots hybrid, and it's bad. This is not to say this entire album is bad; it's just not what I wanted. The solos are only okay, whereas Guns' solos always soared to unforeseen hights. "Slither" is okay, but the horrible "Fall To Pieces" is just unbearable. It's like the sequel to "Sweet Child O' Mine," only bad. // 6

Lyrics: I don't like Scott Weiland, and I don't like Stone Temple Pilots. His lyrics aren't good, except maybe on "Slither." His voice just doesn't have the power needed to front a band with this kind of energy. // 4

Overall Impression: Well, it's not Guns N' Roses, but that's unfair because nothing is. I listen to this album attempting to forget "Welcome To The Jungle" or "Sweet Child O' Mine," but it just won't happen. You hear Scott sing and wish sadly to yourself that he were Axl. That is not to say it's horrible, though. Slash is one of the most badass guitarists of all time, ranking up there with Jimmy Page and Joe Perry. As mentioned before, his solos lack the energy he once had, but I'd be damned if I could do better. His fingers still fly across the fretboard with incredible speed and accuracy, making it a more enjoyable experience. I realize this review (and most reviews) have made plenty of Guns N' Roses comparisons. It's not fair, but as an audience we can't help it until Velvet Revolver truly hits their stride. // 6

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2004

Sound: I loved this record from the moment I heard it was coming out. I've been a fan of STP since the early 90's when they came on the scene. And GnR, I need to say nothing more. These two musical talents combined to create a timeless cd and sound. Its just what we need to get rock to the level it should be at. From the driving guitars on sucker train blues to the melodies on Loving The Alien it's one of those cds that I would give my life for. // 10

Lyrics: Scott Weiland is the f---ing man. After all this time and the shit he's gone though, he's on top once again. He fronted one of my favorite bands for years, STP. And have you ever heard 12 bar blues(weilands solo album,'94), what a awesome, unique album. His lyrics are heartfelt, emotional rollercoasters from his own life and troubles. I have never had a problem understanding what he is saying. I'm not putting anyone down that said he was a bad writer, it's your own opinion. The lyrics are poetry that are supposed to make you think. And did I forget to say that, he can sing! In my opinion, one of the best rock voices of the last decade. He is an amazing songwriter that will go down in history. He will have his place in the Rock and roll hall of fame. Along with STP and GnR. // 10

Overall Impression: It is impossible to find the best band ever, because music is all opinion based. But this album has brought a new meaning to the word "Rock!" I loved slither since I saw the video for the first time.And when I bought the album, I fell in love with fall to pieces and You got no right. But I would be remiss not to mention the rest of the great songs on this album. The whole thing is the best album to come out in a while. I love the style of Weiland's vocals and the drive of the whole band. It just gets you going everytime you play it. My cd player doesn't know any other cds but that one, cause it hasn't come out since I bought it. (I bought the white one.) Some one already stole my appitite cd and I would die if someone stole this one. So don't steal it! I was thinking about buying a backup just in case. It gets a 5 rating all around. Oh and don't forget to buy STP "Thank You" (greatest hits) and GnR greatest hits, your collection won't be complete without them! // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 18, 2005

Sound: It is an instant realization, once you hear the music, that it stands out from today's modern rock. I was skeptical at first about Scott fronting Slash, Duff, Matt, and Dave, who are all notorious for their previous aggressive raw bands, I was never much of an alternative rock fan, and never quite got into STP. But nevertheless, I picked up the CD, seeing as the members are basically rock royalty. I was much surprised at Weiland's ability to front at heavy rock group such as Velvet Revolver. From the opening bass-heavy intro to "Sucker Train Blues" to the sad-thought provoking "Loving The Alien," the music is consistent. As for each member's work: Matt Sorum's tight rhythm section keeps you tapping along, it is evident the rhythm section shines in songs like "Big Machine" and of course many of the songs, brilliant openers are fueled by Matt's aggressive drumming skills (Illegal I Song, Dirty Little Thing). How would Slash begin to rip into Slither's solo without the solo opening drumbeat. Next, Duff (my favourite bassist of all time). McKagan opens the album with "Sucker Train Blues," and keeps the blistering fast music from falling apart. He shines on songs like "Fall To Pieces," "Big Machine," and "Dirty Little Thing." Dave Kushner, another essential part to the rhythm section, is often overlooked. Consistent and always in time, he backs and complements the lead guitar, with thick power chords. Unlike Izzy (Stradlin, G'NR), he brings a new sound to the table, FX pedals. He proves himself worthy on tracks like "Slither" and "Headspace." Scott Weiland has risen to the challenge. An incredible frontman for an incredible band. The emotion in his vocals and sincerity is reminiscent of the late Cobain (emotion-wise, not style-wise). He kicks-ass on tracks like "Fall To Pieces," "Superhuman," "Slither" and "Dirty Little Thing." Finally, Slash, well he's back and swinging, on nearly every song, the emotion in his playing, can leave you crying, pissed, and most of all in awe. His loose off the cuff style of playing can not be reproduced. As tapping is Van Halen's personal statement, reckless abandon is Slash's. He stands out primarily on "Spectacle," "Fall To Pieces," "You Got No Right," "Slither" and "Dirty Little Thing". All in all, this supergroup, has created a powerful big sound, and left a crater in the world of rock, reminiscent of Van Halen 1. // 10

Lyrics: To be honest, it takes a while for the lyrics to be fully understood and realized. The lyrics however are meant to provoke thought. "Sucker Train Blues" paints a vivid image of drug abuse: "Brain and body melting, while there's roaches multiplying..." "Do It For The Kids" takes on the hard rock attitude with "Went to fast, I'm outta luck, and I don't even give a f--k!". "Superhuman" shows the ugliness of addiction: "What was she thinking? She'll never get enough." Scott Weiland has had the life experience obviously to write in detail about such things, and the vibrant language used gives a listener a vivid point of view on the evils of rock and roll. // 10

Overall Impression: I have yet to see an album in this genre compete with "Contraband." I can only wait to see what the new album has in store. If I lost this CD I would buy 2 more, for insurance. From mind-bending, lyrics, melt-your-face-off guitar solos and incredible drumming, Contraband has resurrected rock and roll. Competitors will have to answer to a revolver, a Velvet Revolver. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: faqu, on june 04, 2004

Sound: The sound on this albums is so clean and so tough, and yet so very heavy and melodic and sexy all together. Scott's voice is just rough and very nice to hear his voice with heavy guitars again. If you expect to hear somthing like Guns N Roses, and Stone Temple Pilots so you have a good reason, you can hear both bands on almost every song. Slash with his awsome solos, and Matt's heavy drums, and Duff's funky yet hard bass lines, and dave is awsome guitarist. Slash did a solo every song, I think exept one song but that's cool. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are so beautiful and yet so tough. Scott was in rehab while the band recoded the songs and then he came to finish the lyrics, and you can tell on some somgs that he fought drugs, on songs like "Slither", or "Fall To Pieces" or "Superhuman". His voice is awsome! // 10

Overall Impression: I think this albums is one of the greatest rock albums to come out this year. This albums got it all, 2 slow songs, and another 11 hard rockin songs. I liked all the songs exept Illegal Song. As I said before this album has somthing of GnR and STP, and you can be sure that the match is very good. The only thing I hate about it is that Matt is just trying too hard on the drums. We all know that he is a great drummer but he dont need to try too f--kin hard. But that's only on couple of songs, on the rest he is kick ass. I heard people saying that the albums is very expensive but I can say that the album is worth it all. It's just a good album you can hear with friends or get drunk or lifting weights, or anything else you like to do this albums is almost perfect. Enjoy. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2004

Sound: Absolutely fantastic album! Great from start to finish, not a weak song around! Slash stamps his name on each track with beautifully performed licks and solos, the one that sticks out the most is the November Rain-esque "Fall To Pieces". Slash is back in a big, big way! Matt is his usual excellent self on the drums, and Duff goes without saying. Scott Weiland provides a mind-blowing experience with his superb rock-suited voice. Dave Kushner is also a brilliant talent on rythym guitar. It's a very Guns N' Roses album, with hints of Stone Temple Pilots. Full marks! // 10

Lyrics: Beautifully written lyrics, especially on "Slither", "Fall To Pieces" and "You Got No Right". I go more for the music than the words, but Scott's lyrics hit the spot on every recording, lots of depth, lots of meaning, and plenty of emotion! // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion the best album of its kind since G N' R released Appetite For Destruction in 1987. Every song sticks in your head, makes you wanna listen to it again and again. An excellent collection of songs from an excellent selection of rockers, "Contraband" is a must for any fans of great music. I love Slash's solos though, I've always been a huge fan of his, and he does himself justice with his awesome sounds. I will definitely buy this album, probably 3 times over, just in case anything happens to my first 2 copies, it really is that good! // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: bennie_2006, on june 09, 2004

Sound: I Just bought the CD and it rocks! GNR and STP blend to make the ultimate flavor. Pure rock n roll, the way it should be. Slash is back and hasn't lost anything from the old days. His guitar work is beautiful on all songs and the song that really stands out to me are the ballads: Fall To Pieces and Loving The Alien. Great sound. // 10

Lyrics: Scott Weiland actually does a great job lyrically and vocally. The lyrics are satisfactory and his voice is soothing for the music. I think that it all meshes pretty well, I know Scott Weiland isn't the best singer or writer but this cd has made a better name for him. // 8

Overall Impression: This CD is the best you will find these days. Rock the way we wanted it, no more Drop D every song, only power chord screaming nu metal, Velvet Revolver are here to save the day and hopefully set an example of how to rock for the future of bands. Must buy. Great album. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: dudebud, on june 09, 2004

Sound: Very fast paced and catchy. This album is a really good new age rock compilation by the proclaimed "supergroup". Contains everything you would expect a rock album to have: Catchy hooks, "rippin'" guitar solos, scratchy yelling vocals, just follow the cliche. Thats my more disappointing part of the album. // 8

Lyrics: Quite frankly, Scott Weiland's lyrics are crap. But they sound good and I believe that was the intention. It comes through that Scott was trying to write to make the lyrics sound good and not actually be good. // 6

Overall Impression: It's exactly what everyone needs finally. Not Nu-metal, not punk, not pop-punk, not EMO. F--ing rock and roll. The more impressive songs on the album are definitely "Slither", "Set Me Free", "Loving the Alien", and "Superhuman". I love how this album is high energy and fast all the way through. If I lost this album I would replace it. It is definitely worth the buy and this is definitely a combo the world has been needing for a while. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 11, 2004

Sound: The sound on Contraband is absolutely amazing. The guitar work that Slash uses is simply taking every other modern band to school. Velvet Revolver is bringing back pure rock n roll. The drumming is also pretty good, just like the 70s-80s era. Pretty much every song is in standard tuning which is good because like I said, it's like the time when rock n roll kicked major ass. I am stunned on how good Velvet Revolver is. The funny part is I expected this, but I am still surprised. // 10

Lyrics: Scott Weiland's lyrics are ok throughout the album and his voice is perfect for all of the songs. He deserves to be in such a good band after his STP break up. Working with Slash, Duff, Matt and Dave has brought up his skills in the Lyrics department. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is one of the best I own. Better than the majority of the 60+ albums I listen to frequently. Since I bought it, I just can't stop listening to it. Amazing riffs on the bass, guitar and drums and most importantly the guitar solos are back! Slash pulls out a face - melter (as Jack Black says) in practically every song. I recommend that if you consider yourself a rocker, you buy this album. It kicks everybody's ass. I am still shocked on how good this album is, even though I expected that. There are a couple slower songs on the album which were pretty good, but I like those six songs the best. Guns n Roses + STP = One of the best bands ever! This album is kick ass! // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 18, 2004

Sound: I love Slash's guitar solos. Its awsome that after all these years, he can still come up with new solos like that. I never heard about this new guy they picked up for guitar, so far, all the rythme guitar seems pretty simple. The drumming is superb. It really brings back the hard rock sound. So all in all because of the basic rythme riffs, i give sound a 4. // 8

Lyrics: Lol I have to laugh at the guy who said Scott Weilands Vocals are crap! Do yourself a favor, go to stp's website and listen to "Atlanta" He is an outstanding vocalist. It's appalling that someone actually said that. His vocals are filled with emotion. He is also able to change his tone well. His vocals deffinitly kick ass in Contraband though, Its not the early stp sound, but the later years. // 8

Overall Impression: Great band. Really brings back memories of good music. I cant stand this rap and Nu metal era. Can't wait for the next album. // 8

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2004

Sound: Right from the 1st song (Sucker Train Blues), you hear an eerie intro, then sirens come on, and bam the G and E chords blast you away! Slash knows how to rock! He still has crazy and good kick ass solos. Duff still playing the bass great, and still has good vocals. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, just some, dont make sense, but screw it, it's Scott Weiland. I went to see them at the Wiltern on the 8th, and I was surprised at how great Scott sounds live. He sounds great on the CD, but live he sounds much better. Highlights with vocals are in fall to pieces, you got no right and in loving the alien. // 10

Overall Impression: Obviously Nothing will ever come close to the best album ever, Appetite For Destruction, but this is one of those albums that you could pop in the cd player, n not skip a single track because it's that good. This album is worth buying in all 3 flavors (by flavors I mean colors). I shoulda got all 3 the same day, but I needed money for the show. Best show ever, if you get a chance go out and see them, they are the best band around! // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: BarryMcBatt, on june 28, 2004

Sound: As I am a Slash obsessed miscriant I love the sounds (and the album in general). Compared to the good old GNR days the whole album is much more industrial with heavy, original riffs. Every solo is ace, everyone should except no less from the master. Dave's effects are brilliant, they are there to enhance the music and not just for the sake of it. Duff's driving bass is probably the most distinguishable difference from GNR. Matt, as usual, never misses a beat. Finally, Scott is the perfect accompliment to an already great band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics take rock straight back to what it should be about. None of the crappy "I lost my girlfriend so I'll go 'n' sulk in a corner" emo. However, some of the songs do seem to be about the same thing, drugs. This is fair enough considering Weiland's past. No point in complaining though because he is better than "The f--ckin' redhead". (Those are Slash's words if you must know). // 10

Overall Impression: I suggest that everyone buys this album, even if they didn't like GNR or STP. But that is my opinion. I hate nothing about it, and love everything about it. If it was stolen I would kill the mofo that stole it, and then burn it on to a CD until I bought another copy. So far my favourite song is Superhuman, simply because of the killer riffs. I also love Slither (obviously), Loving The Alien and Set Me Free. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2004

Sound: The guitar parts are amazing. This is some of Slash's best work to date. The solos are a little short compared to guns stuff but this is a band that really shouldn't be compared to them. Slash's technical ability shines through on this album. Dave Kushner, although relatively unknown, plays solid backing throughout and shows he is worthy of his place in the band. The music style is different to many of the members previous bands. Duff's bass playing is as solid as ever and Matt's pounding drums still shake your brain. // 10

Lyrics: I have noticed in previous reviews that people say the lyrics are 'crap'. I don't see how they come to this conclusion. Scott Weilands lyrics and voice remain true and strong on every track. This record is the only piece of evidence you need, to show that he is one of the best frontmen in rock history. His writing skills as a lyricist and composer are undoubtly some of the best in the world. // 10

Overall Impression: Lets get this straight, this is f--ing rock and roll as it should be. This band is ready to pick up where other bands left off a decade ago. They are reaching new audiences with this record as well as keeping old ones. The record is a masterpiece, a holy graile of modern rock. New rock bands i.e. The Darkness should be quaking in their boots because these guys are back and they're better than ever! // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: SeeinYellow, on july 14, 2004

Sound: This is a very solid album. The songs in here range from crazy hard rock to sweet smooth acoustic. Since Slash is in for lead, you can hear pretty cool and rad solos/licks. Even though hes aged a bit and not at the same youth as when he was with Guns N Roses, his solos are still enchanting and mesmerizing. Slash also uses some effects in this album and many can relate that he uses a wah (and nearly masters at it) for the solo on "Slither." Also with Dave on rhythem, you can catch his pounding riffs. Also since this is a new band, back when Slash, Duff, n Matt were in GnR, Slash n' Izzy had a different approach on how their sound should be. But since Izzy not in here, Dave n Slash approached the more "punk" and raw sounds instead of the harmonizing sounds in the past of GnR. In some of the songs, you can distinct the tones and sounds off GnR. For example the song "Superhuman" kinda reminded me of the starting riff of "Sweet Child O' Mine." and for all those into acoustic sound, the closest so far to "Patience" would have to be "Fall To Pieces" yeah so that covers most of the sound. Some of the better songs in the album would probably be: "Sucker Train Blues", "Do It For The Kids", "Big Machine", "Fall to Pieces", "Superhuman", "Slither", "Loving The Alien". // 10

Lyrics: Okay. We all know that Scott Wieland has a problem with cocaine n drugs but who wouldnt? I mean all rockers have had drug related problems, and Scott had one during the time they were making this record. Most of the lyrics in the song talks about how Scott battled cocaine and in which is described in "Superhuman" , "Fall To Pieces" , "Headspace" , "Slither". // 10

Overall Impression: I completely loved the album. It's worth every single penny of my money that I spent. All the songs show how much talent that VR put into it. Well as much as this is a good band. It still doesn't cut Guns N Roses but I'm sayin they're gona make it big, just not as big as GnR. The best songs on here are: Sucker Train Blues, Do It For The Kids, Big Machine, Illegal I Song, Fall to Pieces, Superhuman, Set Me Free, Slither, Loving The Alien. Heh thats basically the whole thing. If this album cracked, stolen, I would totally get another copy of this, overall just a good kick ass album. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2004

Sound: This album is straight up rock! Sucker Train Blues gets the album off to a great pace and Do it for the Kids follows it up perfectly although the slightly dodgy opening may put listners off at first. The riffs just seem to roll off from 'The Top Hatted One'. 'Fall To Pieces', 'You Got No Right' and Loving The Alien provide a differnt pace. These power ballads are what the kids of today need to listen to. It takes you back to the stadium years of G'N'R. But Scott and Dave keep reminding you this is fresh.Dave Kushner provides the solid base upon which those solos are built. Dave also adds texture with his various pedals, every listen you hear something new in the background. Duff's heavy bouncy bass sound is ever present. Duff and Matt are really locked in on this record. Matt, although thinner, is as powerful fast and technical as ever. Scott proves he can really sing and all the public shananigans seem worthless to what this guy do with a microphone, Loving The Alien and Fall To Pieces his best work. Slash's solos are shorter but none less intense. The whole band creates a massive sound. // 10

Lyrics: Scott Weilands lyrics on this record don't make sense to a lot of people I know. BUT, that's the point he knows the meaning and everyone else can make up their own meaning, people can relate it to themselves or just take them for what they are, Scott's feelings. He doesn't have to make it crystal clear, he doesn't have to lead you by the hand and show you what they mean. They make you think though... The way Scott sings them though makes the meaning seem pointless. He could have done this album without words. Just sung melodies. The melodies express his feelings as much as the words. Whether it be anger or sadness. This guy can f--ing sing. // 10

Overall Impression: Well. I'd say it's the 'Appetite' of it's era. I'm not saying it's better I'm not saying it's worse but it is as significant. It's a new chapter in rock. If these guys stay together they could be world dominant and we'll have big rock shows again. In wembly stadium or tokyo dome, maybe. The album isn't STP, it isn't Guns, hell it's hardly a mixture. Sure, these guys have a common core but you can tell through the music they feel reinvigorated, fresh. It's like a brand new band. And, like Guns, the beauty of this music is that I can't see any other band playing it. It's unique. In fact it's old rock new! If it were stolen I'd hire MI6 to get it back and then leave the thief in a room with Scott Weiland. He'd get his ass kicked. This record to me was like the coming of christ I haven't listened to anything else for about a month now! Buy this record it's one of those that every rocker whose worth his hair should buy! Did I mention I like it? // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2004

Sound: If Rock'n'Roll was dead, it's alive and kicking now! For all the ignorant buggers out there who think the likes of AC/DC, Led Zep, and hell, even G'n'R's aren't "kool" to listen to these days, then listen to this and you will think twice. The riffs are quality. This album defines rock'n'roll! I love a song with a riff, this album is full of beauties. It's great to have traditional rock'n'roll sound again. None of this "nu-metal", "emo" crap. Buy It! // 10

Lyrics: Strange to say the least. As has been said, not completely clear what they mean. But hey, they do the job as it adds to the albums quality! Weiland obviously no's what he's on about. // 8

Overall Impression: Quality 1st album. But with someone like Slash in your line-up, you wouldn't expect anything less. I love the sound, solos, lyrics, structures, everything about it! I hate nothing about it. Not one fault. Album of the year. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: LedZeppelin, on july 26, 2004

Sound: I've only heard Sweet Child o' Mine and nothing from STP, so I can't really compare this to either band, so I suppose I'll be less biast to say it's better or worse than the other bands' albums. The sound ranges from hard-rocking, head-banging stuff like Slither and Headspace to near-rapping on songs like Sucker Train Blues and Set Me Free to worthy acoustic tracks like Fall to Pieces, You Got No Right, and Loving the Alien. What annoys me is that Slash's excellent guitar playing is often covered up by the sheer loudness of the rhythm guitar. People have said that it sounds too "old" because the members are in their 40's - first, it doesn't, and second, even some tracks like Fall To Pieces - which is obviously a nod to Sweet Child o' Mine with the guitar riffs - sound great. Perfect mix of sounds to make it heavy rock but also very tasteful. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics range from absolutely horribly stupidly awful to excellent and well thought-out. Unless there are some drug references I'm not tuned in to, what does "Let's meet at the station, no heavy concentration, the kids are all alright there" mean? However, there are some songs like Loving the Alien in which the lyrics are the main focus of the song. They're alright. // 6

Overall Impression: As I said before, can't compare it to any other albums. I like every song on the album except Do It For the Kids and Illegal I Song. I love nearly everything about the album, except for the copy protection, which I won't get in to at risk of being sued for hating the record industry. Long story short, if you have an iPod, get this album from iTunes, do not purchase it in a store, copy protection prohibits you from playing it on your Pod. If it were stolen or lost, I'd buy it from iTunes, but I wouldn't get anything else - this album is gonna stay in my CD player for quite a while. // 8

Contraband Reviewed by: stumaster18, on august 11, 2004

Sound: Every song is amazing. It's not quite as good as Guns N' Roses, but it's sure way up there. Slash is one of the greatest guitar players of all time. His solos rock and I'm still trying to play them all. Neways, great sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are gay, but they work well with the music. Plus, you can't even tell what the guy's singing most of the time. All gibberish. But I still like it a lot. And when I listen to music, I don't really care about the lyrics that much. // 10

Overall Impression: Blink 182 will always be my fav band, but these guys I know have a lot more skill and can write way better songs, even then ne other band, too. The best songs are definitly Spectacle, Fall To Pieces, Sucker Train Blues, and Slither (damn, that song is so catchy). I love everything about this album. They did a damn good job. I hate nothing. And if it were lost or stolen, I'd get my sister to burn me a copy of hers lol. Neways, we'll be seeing a lot more from these guys. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2004

Sound: I liked Guns N' Roses. I liked Stone Temple Pilots. Together you get one hell of a band. Velvet Revolver's debut album, Contraband is the best CD that I bought in a long time. Velvet Revolver's sound is unquie and sounds like no other mainly becuse its a cross between GN'R and STP. The Cd is great. Slash does awsome work on the guitar playing and the solos are awsome. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics make no sense. However, Scott Weiland does good work fitting them into the songs. I believe the song "Fall to Pieces" is about his drug problems. Scott Weiland does awsome work and proves he is better than Axl Rose. // 10

Overall Impression: Contraband is the best CD of 2004 so far. The album beated, in opion, The Darkness, Los Lonley Boys, The Trews, and Jet. The best songs are "Set Me Free", "Slither", "Dirty Little Thing", "Sepecticale", and "Sucker Train Blues". The worst song was "Loving the Alien". Velvet Revolver is definatly going to be around for a long time now. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: fr0zt, on august 23, 2004

Sound: A early 90's Hard Rock/Metal band coming together with a post-grunge singer. How does it work? Suprisingly, it's rock solid. The sound is original. The album flows with ideas and influences. They never once in the album sound like they're trying too hard, which was a poor case for Alter Bridge and Audioslave in some spots. The band sounds tight. The rhythm section is obviously put more out of the spotlight, and I wish Matt and Duff went nuts a little more. This is the album that will bring technique back into mainstream rock. // 10

Lyrics: Scott Weiland is an awesome singer. His voice works with the rest of a band, but gives a completely different sound to the songs than Axl did. Whereas Axl's voice is more gritty, Weiland's is a tad more melodic. The lyrics are solid, maybe a bit too extreme at times, and if he didn't have such a great band backing him, it could've been worse. I'm a fan of Weiland and love his singing. // 10

Overall Impression: You can't buy this album thinking it's going to be Appetite Pt. 2. That's not to mean it's not as good. This is definately one of the first classics of the 2000's. Many of the songs are about drugs and they can get vulgar at times. Slash's playing will be as influental on new rising guitarists as it was on Appetite. Who knows, maybe these guys will give the mainstream the spark that it needs to ignite. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: ninjai, on september 15, 2004

Sound: Before buying this album you should not expect to hear anything related to Guns 'N' Roses music or Stone Temple Pilots. This bands music is not the combination of either, so if you go and buy the album thinking they are then you will be surprised because all your going to hear is a new band named Velvet Revolver. The cd it self starts off great with an energetic bass line followed by the guitar. The music they make is what hasn't been made in yrs., it's just rock no pop no nothing else. The riffs are great, the only minor problem is that slash plays solos that sound unfinished (no disrespect to him, he's the man!) // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are different from what we hear today, which is really good. It's not an I love you and you broke my heart crap. They have topics about cocaine, satan, and other good stuff. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the best rock album of the year, from fast melodies to slow ones that relax you this album has it all. I love that they didn't try to make music like the other bands they were in. I hate that the solos aren't super long but this cd was still worth the 15 bucks I spent on it. If someone were to steal this album I would cry but I wouldn't buy it again not because their not worth it but because I don't have much money. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 16, 2004

Sound: First of all, anyone who says this album sounds nothing like GNR they're crazy. In an earlier review the writer states he has heard just one song by GNR and he still makes the connection between "Fall To Pieces" and "Sweet Child O' Mine". The listener may make a mistake to say they sound different because Scott Weiland's voice is obviously different than Axl's. But listen to the band. To use another great hard rock band for example, consider AC/DC. When Bon Scott died and they came back w/ their new album (Back In Black) they still sounded like AC/DC even though Brian Johnson's voice was much different. I think the best way to describe might be is to say full and versitile. It is 100% rightous rock if I've ever heard it before. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Mr. Rose but if he wouldn't have turned into a crazy control freak, and the rest of the band had it their way this is what their later albums would've sounded like. // 10

Lyrics: I agree with some of the others, a few of Weiland's lyrics are a bit confusing. In his defense I think those of you who have tried to put lyrics to a song would agree that its tough to get words to fit with the song and still keep their meaning. What's good is that Weiland's voice is still great and makes the music come full circle, even if sometimes you can only guess what he's talking about. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is one of the years best. To compare it to anything that comes out now days would be a crime. They really show that the old school still kicks the new school's ass. Put this CD back in 1987 and release it instead of "Appetite" it just might do as well. All the songs on the album have their strong points, but you have to mention "Slither", "Fall To Pieces" and the catchy "Superman". What I love about the album is that it is pure rock and roll. If someone stole this CD from me I would have to buy another. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: bigbumhole, on september 23, 2004

Sound: The sound of this couragous album is, in itself a crafter of a new wave of music, but firmly keeps its feet planted between rock's hazy guidlines. It takes a step on from Guns N' Roses memorable accomplishments, while still continuing their rock legacy. The powerful chords and riffs lay a stunning path for the untouchable solo's which croud your eardrums. Weiland's vocals fit confortably into well timed beats and this only adds to the great sound. 'Slither' sets scene for a masterpiece in the album and the band's future, and 'fall to pieces' touches greatly on the rating of the album, highlighted as you hear Slash's gibson sing serenades that will mark your mind. The only argument I have with VR is the added bonus track 'Bodies' which I beleive sufficiently dents the album and shows not everything is perfect. // 10

Lyrics: I find it hard to call the lyrics of this album 'average' as the quality seem to peak and trough from song to song. While lyrics from, 'Fall To Pieces' and 'You Got No Right' beg for your attention, it is let down slightly from songs such as, 'Big Machine', which while being a good song leaves little space for imaginitive lyrics. They seem slightly sluggish and repetitive. The lyrics over the album fit well with the music, as does Weiland's skills keeping up with the pace. // 6

Overall Impression: I think it reflects on a past of Guns N' Roses and digs up licks from the Rolling Stones and Slash's Snakepit. Do get the best overview of the album I would recommend: Fall To Pieces, Slither and You Got No Right, as I fing they peak the album. A very worth well album to buy and to keep listning to, and I think it gives a good idea of what may come from the band in the future. Definately one of my favourite albums! // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: Voodoo Chile, on october 11, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is kinda wierd, but in no ways bad. It is a new sort of of sound, while at the the same time remembering the old, if that makes sense. Scott Wieland is a good singer, who fits in well with the music. Slash is as expected, simply brilliant, with kick ass solos in all songs apart from 2. Duff Mckagon can always be heard with good basslines. Dave Krushner is an impressive gutarist, and Matt Sorum is good on the drums, although gets a bit carried away in some parts of some songs. // 10

Lyrics: Some people complain that Scott's lyrics don't make sense, but for me they're easy. The majority of songs are about his drug adiction. They fit in really well with the songs. He is a very talented singer, he can sing in many styles, and he is probably the best in modern rock. // 10

Overall Impression: The major thing about this album, is don't expect Guns N' Roses, 'cos you won't get them. What you will get is rock veterans making brilliant music, simply because they can. Best songs, Slither, Fall To Pieces, Sucker Train Blues, Big Machine, Superhuman, Do It For The Kids. My version also has a bonus track, a live cover of the Sex Pistols' Bodies. This is an excellent album, which I would definatley replace if lost. If your only going to buy one album this year, make it this. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2004

Sound: The sound is so damn good. The way Slash and Scott work together like they were made in hevean! It would have mr A. Rose turing in his grave! I'm a huge Guns N' Rose fan so I was amazed that they could have produced an album of the same qualties of Appetie For Destruction! I love Slash and hes made a brilliant album! It's hard rock at it's best! Sorry Axl, but this is s--t hot! // 10

Lyrics: Lyriclly it's all good! Scott Weiland has came from the heart and put his life into songs! The drugs, everything! It's very moving stuff! Slither is fantastic and Fall To Pieces is one of the best songs, lyriclly I've heard in a long time! Although you really have to listen to him to get what hes saying! // 8

Overall Impression: I would die if someone stole my copy! It's my favorite album and I can lisen too all the songs! Sucker Train Blues is a fantastic song! Live and studio! Do It For The Kids is a bit annoying after a while but its still very good! // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: SuperHuman, on november 01, 2004

Sound: I think the point of the formation of Velvet Revolver was to forget about the days of GNR and STP and move on and to change and to bring the music world some fresh new rock, well in a way the album succeds in doing so, though sometimes there influences from being in previous bands sticks out like a sore thumb to much, though in this day in age of Sum 41 and Green Day bands it's drasticly diffrent raunchy guitars, loud solos and popy drums set the tone for this album, and Slash remind us hes the king of all guitarist by showing hes still got cool riffs up his sleeve expecially so in Superhuman and Slither, and Scott delivers a good performance in all with a voice so angry and frustrated you can feel it. // 8

Lyrics: Scott really shows his talent here in really expressing everything hes been through in the last couple years or so. Hes expecially good when he hides the meaning to lyrics and makes you think about what just dose he mean? Ex. - "somebody riged by tapworm abortaion, come on all you b-- and deliver the cow." briillintly done. Thugh some of the lyrics I admit can be a bit to akward. // 8

Overall Impression: This album really is something fresh to todays music industry, yet most of it weve heard before in all the band members previous bands, by and large this album is worth the listen. // 8

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 01, 2004

Sound: This album is incredible. Long awaiting have we been to listen to a CD of this magnitude. Every song has a distinct sound or classic Slash riff to remember it by. The way in which Slash's guitar, along Kushner providing the rythem, sounds is near perfection. Take "Fall To Peices" a basic 4 or 5 note riff by Kushner and Duff behind Slash and his genius riff. And the bridges are untouchable. // 10

Lyrics: Weiland has done exceptionally well in writing the lyrics for this album. Using real life experiences and all the shit that he went through with his wife and kids, has really enhanced the lyrical content. He has great one liners; "Funny right here I find myself inside a paper cup" or "keep me running like a deer in the headlights" thoughout the whole album. The verses to every song have meaning and flow beautifully, never on the album do you find lyrics awkward or hard to understand, they obviously have sentimental meaning to him and the members. For example, "Do It For The Kids" Slash has a great deal of influence on that song, due to his upcoming compilation for children. Weilands voice matches if not out does Axl's voice. Scott can be down right hard and agressive (Headspace) and soft and harmonic (Loving The Alien) his versatility is under-rated. I also like the fact that Weiland admits to challenging himself in a couple songs, read the liner notes. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion this is the best album of the last long while. Everything about it rocks, you could compare it Appetite for Destruction but that's far too easy a comparison. The albums originality makes it very difficult to decipher a comparable album. "Headspace" and "You Got No right" are the highlights of the album in my opinion due to Slash's ear bleeding solo's and great hooks, but like I stated earlier, the whole album is awesome to listen to. There isn't one bad song on the album, some are better than others but on the whole you have earned what you paid for. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: breadfan82, on november 08, 2004

Sound: I'm just going to say that this crap sucks. Guns N' Roses is dead, and so is STP, so why mix the two? This music is really lame. I think Slash is a great guitarist, but even he couldn't save this album. // 4

Lyrics: These lyrics could've been collectively written by a room full of retarded third graders. Very, very basic and poor, unlike some of Weiland's previous work with STP. Everything that the lyrics bring to the table has already been said before by the likes of Journey or Culture Club. Absolutely pathetic. // 2

Overall Impression: Well, since GNR sucked to begin with and most of its members have wormed their way into Velvet Revolver, I think we're doomed from the start on this one. Scott Weiland has no creative energy left, and I also think that he's opted for an "alternative lifestyle". Have you seen their videos? If so, then you've also been given the distinct pleasure of watching him strut his pasty white ass around in hip-huggers and no shirt. I'd say he looks like what would happen if Callista Flockhart was ever raped by David Bowie. But, if you just can't get enough of that insincere, rock-star-reject, my-life-sucks, I'm-a-failure-without-you, you're-oppressing-me-and-I-think-I'm-going-to-cry corporate rock of today, then this is the best thing since white milk. If you have any sort of intuition, respect for music, or even if you're just plain budget savvy, you will not buy this album. // 2

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2004

Sound: This is one of the best Rock bands of this year. They have a unique sound that is diffrent from either GNR or STP but they have the same kick ass attitude they have always have. One or two of the songs sound just like a GNR or STP song but the solo usually makes it seem like its new. Slash is brillant and has a unique style that not many people of his time or anytime for taht matter have. He combines the hard rock of the late 80's with some of the best Blues you can find. He is very skilled and good at what he does. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of Contraband are unique but some how remined me of how STP's lyrics were but with a diffrent eomtion. With Scott Weiland sobering up his vocals and apperance have grown thus making him able to make the awesome lyrics you have in this CD. He has succsfully made the lyrics in the same delivarence of the music and with Slash's blues/rock solos and riffs. Scoot Weiland is a f--king genius! // 8

Overall Impression: I think this is one of the best CD's of the year. It is unique from what has been shown this year and completly kills Jet and other poser bands. some of the most impressive songs of the album are "Sucker Train Blues", "Set Me Free", "Do It For The Kids", "Big Machine", and of course "Slither". I love the blues/rock style of Slash with the straight up no lie lyrics of Weiland. I absolutly love this album and have no flaws with it what so ever. If this CD was lsot or stolen I would instantly go out and get a new one without a doubt! // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2005

Sound: This is definitely the album of 2004. Slash, Duff and Matt have not sounded this good since Appetite For Destruction, and Dave Kushner's fuzzy tone compliments the great line up. All is left is the singer, Scott Weiland, whose etheral vocals leave you dazed. From the Bluesy "Sucker Train Blues" to the all out rock-fests "Slither" and "Set Me Free", from the riffing of "Do It For The Kids" to the more melodic sides of "Fall To Pieces" and "You Got No Right", there isn't a weak track here. Slash is a phenominal player, and he has really found his tone here. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics also are superb. They echo around the songs, bouncing off the other instruments. There are numerous references to drugs, marraige and annoying children. They are genuinely innovative and humorous and aren't repetitive. They are let down very slightly by the song "Big Machine", where the line "We're all hooked to a big machine" is said a bit too much. They're still excellent, however. // 8

Overall Impression: This is really an album you must own as an album. You have to listen to this from start to end to appreciate the excellent songwriting on display. With funky bass, pounding drums, cool vocals, blasting rhythm guitar and blistering solos, what's there not to like? // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: finisher, on january 17, 2005

Sound: Velvet Revolver and their debut Contraband give rock lovers their just deserts. This CD has it all from soft to hard rock, face melting guitar solos, headbangin riffs and Scott Wieland provides a great voice. Slash is as amazing as hes allways been. His solos are bluesy solos that sound great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for the cd are great. Scott Wieland has different modes of singing and thats all good. The only bad thing about the lyrics is that alot of the chorus's just repeat the same words over and over. Like Big Machine repeats it's a big. But all in all the lyrics are great. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this is the best cd since Metallica's Black Album. I can't state my favourite song because they are all amazing. Slither would probably be my favourite but it's played on the radio alot. If the CD got stolen from me I would hunt down the thief. This CD is amazing, Slash is amazing, Scott is amazing. I can't wait untill VR put out there next CD. Rock On! // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: The Fiddler, on january 24, 2005

Sound: The reunion of 3 of the members of Gunr N'Roses really got my attention, but the new group disappointing. The record was a metal/hard-rock set more or less. I expected some vintage "classic" rock feel to their music, but they are more like Audioslave than anyone else. There were one or two decent guitar solos by Slash. It's basically loud and hard hitting modern rock with a slightly nostalgic feeling of classic GN'R. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were in context with the style, but they did not have much compared to GN'R, but then again, Axl Rose is not in this band. The chorus was sung many times more than they should have ("Fall To Pieces" for example) with too many new verses. The lyrics are original however and make the cut. // 8

Overall Impression: The album is definitely for curious GN'R fans or other classic rock listeners although they may be slightly disappointed like I was. About half the album are good songs while they other half are songs that will never be remembered. // 8

Contraband Reviewed by: GuitarBrad, on january 28, 2005

Sound: Contraband is full of hard rock style music with a classic feel. Slash and Dave work exceptionally well together. The riffs they play fit together perfectly. Dave gives a solid foundation for Slash to work around, and you can really tell that the music was thoroughly planned out. Add Scott's vocals and you have perfect harmony. These artist have experience and it shows. They understand what they want to sound like and they understand how to produce that sound effectively. // 10

Lyrics: Scott Weiland is an exceptional singer in my opinion. He ranks right up there with Robert Plant. The mood of his lyrics fit with the mood of the song. His lyrics have meaning. They tell the story of how he, and other members of the band, over came hard times in their lives. People say they don't make sense and they are simple and poorly written, but you can really read into them and understand them. They have deeper meanings than you first realize. // 10

Overall Impression: There is a stereotypical machine running rock and roll today and frankly the modern rock I hear on the radio just sucks. Velvet Revolver really breaks through the barriers that all the other bands seem to be caught on. They are doing things the way they want them done and that makes them the best listening experience since the Jimi Hendrix Experience. They will probably be the best for a long time and I look forward to growing up listening to them. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 07, 2005

Sound: Before I begin I would just like to say that Velvet Revolver is one of my fav bands. The songs on this CD is a breath of fresh air for a hard rock deprived generation. I myself am only 15 but I listen to mostly old bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Nirvana and AC/DC (just to name a few, I like death metal too) so I know what music used to be and I am fed up with the crappy rocks bands we have today. Bands like Good Charolette make today's youth think that they are what rock should be when are defintiely not. Velvet Revolver plays hard rock and plays it very well. The songs are load and melodious at the same time. Slash really shines on this CD with amazing guitar solos like in Slither and Dirty Little Thing. But I still think he could have played better on some of the other songs. Some of the songs sound remotley like Guns N' Roses and some sound like Stone Temple Pilots but the rest are sound totally original and epitemise what rock should be these days. Their songs are really more hard rock than heavy metal so some metal heads would be disappointed. But I fell in love with this cd when I heard it. // 10

Lyrics: Scott Weiland has an amazing voice. His voice sounds so different in the songs that you have to stop and wonder if it is the same person singing. His voice can be soothing like in the slow sons or can be deep and hateful in the faster songs. The lyrics are kinda hard to figure out. They a bit too vague but this kust adds to the listening experience as you can interpret the song as you like. Some people might like having to think though but I do. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is excellent and I recommend it to everyone, especially the people of the mew generation how don't know what true rock should sound like. It isn't a death metal CD but it a very good hard rock album. I would definitely buy it again if it was lost. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: Contraband, on march 09, 2005

Sound: Really good sound out of this CD, it's really a fresh new sound that we needed. Some people don't like Weiland, and I'm not a big fan when he's singing over hard rock, but there's no denying he's a good vocalist. He can keep up with the pace and he doesn't sing out of tune. Although it sounds like a GN'R/STP mix, it still has a modern feel to it which is why it's innovative. Slither, Fall To Pieces, Dirty Little Thing and some others are great. Overall, great sound- Slash sounds awesome. // 10

Lyrics: Scott Weiland has the skills again, some might not like his voice, but even when his voice is irritating, you realize that when he holds those notes, it's rather soothing. Really, the radio killed their 3 singles for me, which thank god didn't ruin the other not so great songs. Some lyrics really shine, and others, what can I say, Slither, Fall To Pieces, Dirty Little Thing, Big Machine, Superhuman + other good songs would be good, but instead they took those songs and added half a cd of crappy songs. Very good lyrics though, not Fade To Black, but good. // 10

Overall Impression: If it was lost or stolen, I'd buy it only after their next album came out, and if it never came out, I'd wait 2 or so years after buying this, cause I get tired of it. Slash could have been so much better, and the GN'R/STP mix could have been so much less irritating. Love all the singles, Superhuman, Big Machine and some other songs, but the other stuff put more effort into your non single work next time please VR - impress more people next album. I would have given this a 3, but it gets about a 3.8 for overall impression, and for those that think 3 is a bad rating, it's not, 3.8 is above average, and VR is an above average band, except Slash and Duff are awesome, you can say Scott is kvlt too, but hey he wears tight pants and that gets bothersome sometimes. But on the other hand, they kinda match is druggy face. // 8

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2005

Sound: Here comes Velvet Revolver to kick your ass. Three of the former GN'R badasses are back (Matt, Duff, and of course, Slash), along with STP frontman Scott Weiland, and Slash's friend Dave Kushner. This supergroup has a thankfully refreshing sound to alleviate the light-rock and punk garbage that has been clogging the radio and all of the supposed "rock" countdowns. This band has a very hard rock sound, and although very raw and powerful, it can be melodic, such as in the songs "Fall To Pieces" and "Loving The Alien." Slash is stilll rockin', dishing out one awesome riff after the other. The rythym guitarist, Kushner, does a good job punding those chords. Duff is still a god at bass, and Matt, although a somewhat clumsy drummer, does well. Weiland does a fantastic job on the vocals, although some of his lyrics are a little confusing for us rock guys to understand. All of the fast-paced songs (Slither, Dirty Little Thing, Set Me Free) make you wanna mosh around and play air guitar, and most of the teary-eyed ballads (Loving The Alien, You Got No Right, Fall To Pieces), although not as good as former Gn'R masterpieces, Don't Cry and November Rain, still make you remeniss. // 10

Lyrics: This is the albums only problem. Most of the lyrics tend to deal with Weiland's drug and addiction problems, and can easily go over people's heads, but they go great with the music, and Weiland's vocals go well. Once you understand the lyrics, though, you'll realize that they are very good. // 10

Overall Impression: This blows all other rock records out of the water. It's only flaw I can thnk of is the sometimes confusing, even bad lyrics. But along with the driving guitar riffs, awesome vocals, and completely badass solos (especially in Slither), this is one of the best rock n roll albums out there. If mine got stolen, I'd hunt down the thief, castrate them, and buy three more. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 21, 2005

Sound: Slash is a kick ass guitarist, one of the best ever. His riffs on the album are excellent, his solos even better. Dave is also very good and Duff's bass is also excellent. Matt keeps an amazing beat on every song. For a great hard rock song check out one's like 'Sucker Train Blues,' 'Set Me Free,' 'Dirty Little Thing' and especially 'Slither,' the best song on the album and my favorite song ever. And this is coming from someone who loves Zeppelin and The Beatles. The ballads Fall To Pieces, You Got No Right, and Loving The Alien are also highlights. The music on this album kicks ass. // 10

Lyrics: I've always thought Scott Weiland was a great lyricist, even if his lyrics are a bit confusing. His lyrics are personal and really cool too. For instance, I love the one: 'man here comes the water it comes to wash away the sins of you and I' on Slither. That just sounds cool. Scott is a great singer too. // 10

Overall Impression: Velvet Revolver is the most talented and awesome rock band you'll find out there today. Scott, Slash, Duff, Matt and Dave are all really talented people and great musicians. GN'R and STP were great bands, GN'R being one of my all time favs. You will not regret buying this album. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: metalheadache, on may 06, 2005

Sound: The band had some good singles on the radio, Slither and Dirty Little Thing. But a lot of the songs on the CD sound a lot alike. Before I knew the name of Dirty Little Thing, I had a lot of trouble finding it on the CD. Not being able to tell songs apart is a bad thing, and that is true of this entire CD. And the things that sound different aren't so hot either. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics don't ever really make an impression or impact, they're just there. They don't really push the song forward, but they don't hinder them either. Scott still has one of the best voices in rock and it still shows here. // 6

Overall Impression: This should be a great band, with GN'R and STP's Scott, but they aren't. Every song sounds so much a like and nothing really stands out. It's not as bad as other crap on the radio now, but it is not worth buying. // 4

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 12, 2005

Sound: One of the problems with this album is that none of the guys from GN'R were main contributors in GN'R. You get Slash who did cool solos, Duff who did cool bass lines and Matt who really just played drums. Izzy and Axl who wrote most of the songs are not here and it's clear from the first minute of the album. The songs sounds the same, except a very few small highlights. // 4

Lyrics: Overall the lyrics here are quite weak. You get to ehar about Scott's drug abuse and his wife through the whole album, highlighted with a song where he's falling to pieces again and again. While the song itself could've been pretty good, Weiland wrecks the song. There is really just one song that has good lyrics on this album - Loving The Alien. And that is if the song is about drugs - if it's about his ex-wife, it's bad song. Other than that I sit back as empty after listening to the CD as when I start. // 2

Overall Impression: A natural comparison for "Contraband" would be former albums by GN'R and STP. The simple conclusion is that it doesn't compare soundwise or in style. It is a mix of both with more STP than GN'R, and still the music by the former two is much stronger and different. A few songs does stand out: Loving The Alien, You Got No Right and perhaps Slither, but they are not very enjoyable either. A good thing about the album is that it's good recorded. The best place for this CD is in your garbage can. It saves you space and it saves your ears. // 2

Contraband Reviewed by: GNRobsessed013, on may 25, 2005

Sound: Velvet Revolver has an amazing sound. It wasn't just a mix of GN'R and STP, like some people have said. It has amazing guitar riffs, and short yet amazing solo's. I was really amazed by the album. Very good, and definitely beats the shit called music we're stuck with today. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on some of the songs confused the s--t out of me, and some still do, but they're still well thought of. Scott has an amazing voice, and always had one. The lyrics fit perfect with the songs on the album proving that no member of VR has lost talent in the past years. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression was that this is the type of band we need around, real rock and roll. No nu-metal emo s--t, just the real thing. Sucker Train Blues is probablly one of the most impressive songs on the album, with it's drum beat, amazing guitar riff's, great bass lines, awesome solo, and powerful lyrics, it can own you. I love the album cause it isnt what people say, it isn't a mix of GN'R and STP, it's a whole different band with a different yet still amazing sound. If it was ever stolen from me, I'd track the bastard down and shoot them with nothing other than a Revolver. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Sound: The sound is pretty amazing. I would say the sound is pretty unique and very riff orientated. The riffs are superbly crafted, especially in songs such as slither, sucker train blues and headspace, and even though not quite on guns n roses par, the solos are pretty amazing. The music styles incorporated in the record are basically just rock n roll but there are a few slowish songs, like the brilliant, Fall To Pieces, and Loving The Alien. There really are not any weak tracks on this velvet revolvers first offering and sound wise its faultless. // 10

Lyrics: Lyricwise, Contraband isn't as good. Some songs ahve good lyrics in, for example, fall to pieces has really good lyrics relating to Scott Wielands life experiences and slither also has some pretty good lyrics, however, some of the lyrics tend to be rushed and non- sensical especially in the illegal I song. In saying that, the lyrics to tend to fit it quite well with the music, but lyrical clarity is in short batches. The singing abilities of Scott are average, nothing exhilrating and conversley not terrible, just average. // 6

Overall Impression: This album is pretty solid. If you are looking for superb riffs with mesmorising solos then this album will not dissapoint you in the slightest, but if you are also looking for lyrical clarity, you maybe a tad dissapointed. The most impressive songs on the album are Slither, You Got No Right, Headspace, Sucker Train Blues, Fall To Pieces and Loving The Alien. If this were lost or stolen I definetly would buy it again. // 8

Contraband Reviewed by: whatamidoinhere, on august 08, 2005

Sound: When you break this album down in to it's seperate parts, you have an amazing performer and singer, Scott Weiland, who's voice varies greatly across different tracks; listen to Slither, Dirty Little Thing, and Fall To Pieces and you'll hear all different ways that he can sing. Since Slash left Guns N' Roses, I've missed the amazing sound of his guitar playing, he may not live up to previous expectations with solos in this album, but his playing is still enough to leave anyone in awe. Duff probably didn't get the chance to show off how brilliant he can be, yet along with Matt, gave the album the backing sound any great rock album needs, and occasionally take the spotlight in a burst of ability (drum intro to Illegal I Song, mint). Dave who? He may not be famous, but he gives something to this album that I don't think many others could have. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are varied. Fall To Pieces is an amazingly heartfelt piece showing off Scott's vocal qualities amazingly, yet do it for the kids, whilst an amzing song, is random and the lyrics seem irrelevant to any point the song might have. However, the lyrics and the music go extremely well together, so, I have no complaints! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is not what I was expecting, like many others were, I thought it would be a mix of STP and GNR, but it's not. It was always going to have aspects of their former bands, but it's all been mixed up, added to, and then taken even further. Fall To Pieces and Slither are the biggest highlights of the album, but Dirty Little Thing and Loving The Alien are also brilliant and there is not a bad song on the album. If you haven't yet bought this album, do it now, but get the tour album, cost me 1 more and has 3 extra videos and songs! Value or what? // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: fox69, on november 28, 2005

Sound: I was a little skeptical when I bought this album because I'm a pretty good GN'R fan, but I didn't know how long VR would stay together anyway. But I bought it and I was surprised at how well Scott fits with the band. Slash had a lot of good solos, Duff's bass was actually very good with him playing intros in a lot of songs. Matt's drumming seems to have improved a lot, and that Dave seems to be a pretty good rhythm guitarist. a good overall rock sound. // 10

Lyrics: Scott's singing actually fits better it the bands sound than Axl Rose's voice, although I'm sure axle is more talented. they sing about some good things, which is cool. In "Dirty Little Thing" its almost anti-drugs, which I thought was cool, but not a week later I heard scott was in re-hab again. thats a downer, but still a good album lyrically. // 9

Overall Impression: It's cool to have an actual '80s rock band back at er so theres better stuff than the adrkness out there. Best songs are "Do It For The Kids," "Big Machine," "Illegal I Song," "Fall To Pieces," "Slither" and "Loving The Alien." I hear even though Scott has issues with herione still, they are gonna keep making music so thats cool and I'd probably buy anthoer one of there albums. I recommend it if your into '80s rock. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 30, 2005

Sound: The sound on contraband was simply incredible. The revitalizing breeze that this CD brings to the table easily and entirely destroys the horrid simple emo and punk bands out there. No offense to those kinds of music, but Velver Revolver is simply, loud, in your face, dont give a crap about what you think rock n' roll, and thats something Hard Rock fans have missed ever since GN'R split up. The combo of Slash and former Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland is indeed unusual, but Weilands modern voice, combined with the incredible guitar play of Slash molds perfectly. So this CD sorta combines good modern rock, with good old rock. A winning combo. // 10

Lyrics: I always did like Scott Weiland's voice back when he was with STP. His combination of meaningful lyrics, and his easily recognizable voice is a good match for the music. Songs like Slither just make you want to headband with its catchy riff, and Weilands impressive singing style. Hard rockers of old may grumble a bit, because Weiland does not have the traditional Hair Metal band wailing voice, but it will soon grow on you, as soon as you realize how good his voice blends in the the musical stylings of the former GN'R members. // 9

Overall Impression: Personally I think this CD was the fresh breeze of good old hard rock that everybody needed. I personally was tired of hearing simplistic punk riffs on the radio, I did miss the heavy, in your face rock n' roll that only a reconstruction of former GN'R members could bring. Again no offense to people who like punk, but I just missed the rock of old. If you havent heard old rock before, then you dont know what you're missing. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: Will_GnR_87, on february 18, 2006

Sound: This really should be the best album of the decade. Any band combining GN'R and STP that make an album should be worth buying. And this album is definitely worth buying. But there's something about Contraband that doesn't quite fit. Contraband is probably the best 2 guitarist, metal record of this decade so far (maybe Metallica just better). But having said that in some areas it is fairly weak. The guitar parts are awsome (of course it is it's Slash for gods sake) but there's something about the way Weiland sings just doesn't work for me. His vocals on 'Fall To Pieces' (the Sweet Child O' this album) are amazing and he really conveys the song well. But he seems to try a bit too hard to impersonate Axl's low voice on 'Dirty Little Thing', which is a good song. This is a good album, one of the best of the 21st century so far, but it's no GN'R album. // 7

Lyrics: As I said before, Scott Weilands voice doesn't quite seem to fit the songs sometimes. But his songwriting abilities are excellent I think. 'Fall To Pieces', 'Slither' and 'Dirty Little Thing' are all great songs. I love the reasoning Slash gave behind writing 'Dirty Little Thing'. "I hate to give her credit, cos she's such a tart, but the lyrics are inspired by Paris Hilton, so keep that in mind when you're listening to the song." I did keep it in mind, and it made the song so much better. But overall the lyrics are probably the strong point on this album, apart from Slash. // 8

Overall Impression: You cannot compare this to any GN'R album, ever. Not even Spaghetti Incident. You can't even compare it to a STP record either. But having said that, it is still a good album to buy. Listen out for 'Dirty Little Thing' and 'Fall To Pieces', the strongest songs. I like this album beause its the first full length album that Slash Duff and Matt have appeared on it together since Spaghetti. I love this album because of Dave Kushners guitar playing (severely underrated), but there's something about it that doesn't make it an instant classic. But it's still a pretty good album. Go and buy it, just for novelty purposes. // 7

Contraband Reviewed by: ilovemyepi, on march 13, 2006

Sound: Contraband obviously has influences of early Guns N' Roses and Stone Temple Pilots in its sound. This could be a good thing- if executed properly. Some parts of this album, it just gets too repetive. The solos sound the same after a while, and the way Scott Weiland sings "Sucker Train Blues" reminds me of "Dirty Little Thing" too much, among other things. A great sound but too repetive. // 7

Lyrics: Overall, the lyrics are pretty good in this album. They talk about drugs, sex, love, and rock n' roll; something you'd expect from Weiland's lifestyle. Although he has a small vocal range, Weiland actually sings very well. // 8

Overall Impression: Of course, this album compares to Guns N' Roses and Stone Temple Pilots's work. Some of the better songs on this album include "Set Me Free," "Slither," and the brilliant acoustic song "You Got No Right." The song "Fall To Pieces" also ranks high up there, with excellent guitar work from Slash. In conclusion, I love this album's pure rock n' roll force but dislike its repetitiveness. // 8

Contraband Reviewed by: acytonestd69, on march 14, 2006

Sound: I heard this album and was absolutely happy to hear such a versitile band. They're heavy metal, hard rock, classic rock, mainstream and true visionaries. The album is compiled of raw and rowdy songs along with melodic songs that are just for the tired soul. Sonething I loved about this CD is that Slash used D tuned guitar in some of the songs. I think that proved not all people from the '80s rock scene was just playing EADGBE tuned guitars. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are political yet synical. whats not to like? I felt the lyrics come from a really dark yet intense amount of memories of sex and drugs and current day images of what's wrong with America. The vocals laid down by Scott Weiland on the music created by the GN'R rhythme section blew me away. Scott has an incredible voice and ever power-fuller charisma. // 9

Overall Impression: There is nothing/noone in comparison with this album. I love "Illegal I Song" and "Dirty Little Thing." I love that they're more then a super group. They're just such dedicated and talented guys. I hate the over kill of political satire brought on by Scott Weiland. I have it burned and what not but I would get it again simply 'cause the orig. is better. // 9

Contraband Reviewed by: TheDarkestNights, on march 20, 2006

Sound: The sound is, in my opinion, a more raw and "in-your-face" type of sound than Guns N' Roses. It is, too, more of what appears to be a "modern rock" album, rather than what might become what GN'R will become soon (hopefully). However, some similarities to GN'R are still there. Slash's awesome riffs and solos for one. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are, in my opinion, just full of explicit language just for the sake of it, used too often, thus removing the effect, but then again so is most music. The singer has quite a bit of talent, but it may not be being used to its full potential. // 6

Overall Impression: Compared to some other albums I have bought, this is an inferior album, and I don't think I would buy it again, dependant on the price. Some of the best songs are "Slither," "Headspace," "Do It For The Kids" and "Big Machine." Though, overall, I think VR are just a band trying to re-create the success of Guns N' Roses, and this, in my opinion, puts a sort of barrier on originality, thus making the album less impressive. // 5

Contraband Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 10, 2006

Sound: Very good raw hard rock sound, excellent guitar playing on both Slash and the very much underrated Dave Kushner's part. Brilliant catchy riffs and driving rhythm make this album invincible in terms of sound. The bass playing from Duff is wicked and "You Got No Right" surprised me pleasantly, as all I thought they could do was rock. // 9

Lyrics: Some sceptics would say that there was too much swearing on this album, but if you listen to some of the lyrics, especially on "You Got No Right", then will find that they actually mean something. Scott Weiland's vocals are second to none, and the arrogance of the music is matched both by the lyrics and by the singer's voice and stage presence. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this is a good solid rock album and I would reccommend it to any rock fan. If tickets are available to see this band, snap them up! These five rockers are awesome live! // 9

Contraband Reviewed by: f-e-z, on august 07, 2006

Sound: Velvet Revolver's sound is a kind of "meet in the Middle", like if, say, Led Zeppelin were to meet Pearl Jam and have an illegitamite love child. Velvet Revolver were formed when ex of Guns N' Roses Slash, Duff and Matt got together to jam. They realised they still rocked, and enlisted ex of Stone Temple Pilots Scott Weiland. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are done as a band (the CD leaflet says) and are extremely good. Some of it sounds a bit GN'R reminiscant, and Slither at least sounds STP ish. Other than that, they are awesome, just listen to fall to pieces, and you'll understand. Musically, the lyrics go well with the music, probably owing to the fact all the band have a huge bucketload of experience. It has been said the lead singer sounds like a less whiny Axl, but I can't see it, I think it's a perfect match. // 10

Overall Impression: It does compare, largely, to GN'R, for obvious reasons. There are some of the intros sweet child o mine-ish, and some are very GN'R-ish, but again, it's a modern band, that would be able to cut it in 1986, and 2006. They are very versatile. The most impressive songs, in my opinion, are fall to pieces, slither, and sucker train blues, but it's like saying the Les Paul classic is better than the Les Paul Standard, they're both excellent, but ones a bit better, same here, they're all bloody awesome songs, just these stand out a bit more. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: Midnight Rocker, on february 22, 2007

Sound: Velvet Revolver, the supergroup consisting of ex-Guns N' Roses members Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum, ex-Stone Temple Pilots vocalist Scott Weiland, and ex-Wasted Youth guitarist Dave Kushner have created an album that blends the signature sounds of all these bands, resulting in a solid disc of hard rock. From the straight-up rocker Sucker Train Blues, to the power ballad Fall To Pieces, to the acoustic-driven Loving The Alien, this album delivers. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty much typical of the hard rock genre. They deal with drugs, sex, and all the other rock and roll cliches, but of course fit with the music perfectly. Scott Weiland is a surprisingly versatile vocalist, although his true power still lies in the harder songs. This is not to say he cannot sing other styles, far from it. Loving The Alien is a fine example. This soft, almost exclusively acoustic ballad showcases a sensitive side to him that is not often displayed. All in all, an excellent effort, on all the tracks. // 8

Overall Impression: With four of the five members of Velvet Revolver being ex-GNR and STP, it is not surprising that Contraband sounds quite a bit like the releases of these bands. However, with the added presence of Dave Kushner, the band are able to create their own sound, rather than sounding like any other hard rock band. The standout songs from Contraband are Do It For The Kids, Fall To Pieces, Superhuman, Slither and Loving The Alien. There is not a whole lot wrong with this album, the guitar work gets a bit repetitive, and the vocals aren't always up to par, but this is not a problem unless you think it is your duty to pick these small imperfections. Stolen or lost? I would get another copy, because in these days of most hard rock bands sounding the same, Velvet Revolver are a breath of fresh air. // 9

Contraband Reviewed by: ZaDunne, on june 11, 2007

Sound: Hard rock with a darker tint. These guys must be like wine because they just get better with age. The industrial sound brought in from Dave meshes instantly with Slash's slippery solos. Indefinately Slash at his best second only to the work in Snakepit and on Appetite for Destruction. As for the drums I can say I'm ecstatic to hear Sorum beating the snare for all it's worth. Lots of hard songs with a few soft songs with a sharp edge to them. Scott's vocals give it all the kick in the ass you want from a hard rock band. From his low growl to his soft serenade he fits the music perfectly. // 8

Lyrics: Scott has worked wonders for the message behind the sound. It has all the points of drug addiction and rehab along with the classic 'f--k off' message for those who choose to disagree. The lyrics over such coordinated instrumentals and melody fit so perfectly that you can almost think they were written by the diety of rock himself. // 9

Overall Impression: The album could've been a tad better, a few more hard songs and maybe a GN'R remake. But overall it has a little somethign for everyone's taste and mood. Slash's soloing for the dedicated faith in the guitar heroes; a singing voice American Idol couldn't revoke; and just some kickass songwriting. My favorites on this would have to be Headspace, Slither and Set Me Free. This album is a must have and there is no exception for anyone. // 8

Contraband Reviewed by: kfong03, on august 22, 2007

Sound: Even though this review is coming 3 years late, I still feel I have to give a review to one of my most treasured and beloved albums of all time, Contraband by Velvet Revolver, which, in case you're one of the odd people who still don't know, is made up of former GNR bandmates' duff, matt sorum, and the legendary slash, the line-up is completed by former STP frontman scott weiland and former wasted youth guitarist dave kushner. The sound on this album kicks ass, easily one the best albums in the history of rock n roll and the top album of 2004 in my opinon, here's a track by track description: 01. Sucker Train Blues - odd into, good riff, avaerage singing, great solo, but nothing stands out. 02. Do It For The Kids - nice riff, good ending solo, the vocals were alright for this one, but osmething felt missing. 03. Big Machine - I love the drum and bass intro for this one, the vocals are also pretty well done, the chorus is simply killer, could've used a solo. 04. Illegal I Song - not a great song, I don't like the way scott screams in this song, but the guitar work and drums made it acceptable. 05. Spectacle - definite improvement from the previous track, the riff sounds pretty good, the singing and instrumental work also fit together well. 06. Fall To Pieces - with 3 members being former GNR bandmates, this "follow-up" to sweet child o mine was expected, it may not have the legendary intro or the kick-ass solo, but I found this song addictive, from the ringing riff that recurs to the incredibily sing-a-long-able chorus. Great song. 07. Headspace - probably the most head-banging riff in the album, the vocals were top notch in this one, the solo was good, and the bass and drums definitely delivered too. 08. Superhuman - another great riff by VR, the guitars were good in this one, but the bass and drums weren't that good, bt still a good song, thanks to vocals and guitars. 09. Set Me Free - very repititive, the vocals may have been good, but I thought the instruments didn't sound as good compared to the previous tracks. 10. You Got No Right - the best vocals in the whole album, scott sounds amazing in this one, a good ballad which then distorts nicely, a very good chorus too. 11. Slither - a great great riff with a trademark slash solo, the drums were simple in this song but it worked, not much to talk about in the bass, good vocals. 12. Dirty Little Thing - excellent riff, catchy chorus, amazing shredding solo by slash, brill song. 13. Loving The Alien - a good ending to a solid album, not a bad song, the vocals were kind of whiny in this one, but it still delivered with the drums and bass. // 9

Lyrics: I never paid any attention to the lyrics as I just listen for the vocals and the instrumental work, this happens with me no matter what I listen to, so I didn't actually care much. But when I decided to examine the lyrics a little closer when I had time, I foudn that they were just your normal set of rock n roll lyrics, sex, booze, girls and some other subjects, nothing really stood out but with this album just listen for the music, the lyrics really don't compare. // 7

Overall Impression: This album was a great experience for me, VR definitely is a great band with more to offer, the most impressive stuff from the album would be Dirty Little Thing, Fall To Pieces, Slither, Headspace, You Got No Right and Big Machine, the other songs are also good stuff to listen to so I can honestly say this album is an album that I can listen to from beginning to end with no skips whatsoever. Any fans of GN'R, STP, and any good rock band should be looking out to buy this album, totally recommended. // 10

Contraband Reviewed by: TJM2482, on february 13, 2008

Sound: Contraband is the debut album of super-group Velvet Revolver. Their sound is different from the members' older bands (Stone Temple Pilots/Guns N' Roses), so don't expect November Rain and Interstate Love Song. However, it's a great sound all its' own. You'll get the groovy riffery of Slash coupled with the grainy grunge voice of Scott Weiland. This album is mostly hard rock, with small glimmers of ballad-type radio songs. It's a sound that you can really latch onto, since it's an overall "fun" album. It's full of straight rock songs, typical bar stuff and car-singing, shower-singing, basically anywhere. It's catchy, groovy, and one of the few remaining solid rock bands of the decade. // 10

Lyrics: Scott Weiland's work in Velvet Revolver is pretty similar to his Stone Temple Pilots stuff, but it has small differences. You'll hear more of his higher-pitched vocal parts and more upbeat stuff in VR that was in small doses in Stone Temple Pilots, which was one of the big 90's grunge bands. The lyrics go pretty well with the music, it's the whole "badass" package. Weiland can still sing, and his style is still somewhat in tact enough to keep STP fans, but won't really convert people that didn't like STP. It's solid, can get annoying at times, but his voice is solid still, and he can still write some great songs. // 9

Overall Impression: Velvet Revolver's follow-up "Libertad" came out in between the release of Contraband and the writing of this review, so it's hard to really compare. I'd say it's better than Libertad though. I really like "Big Machine", "Slither", and "Fall to Pieces". They actually did a good job of picking the radio/TV singles, and they haven't really gotten "played-out" or boring despite hearing them thousands and thousands of times. I love the kickass sound they have, but like I said some people may be turn off by Weiland's style, and some people might even get bored of it by the end of the album even if they like it. I personally like it a lot, so I whole heartedly recommend this album. It's a great modern rock album, something pretty scarce nowadays. // 9

Comments