Libertad review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jul 3, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Velvet Revolver: Libertad

I have had the honor of getting an early copy of the album so I will post a review for those whom it may concern. This album was some what hard to judge compared to Contraband but here we go. There is defintly more musical influence's on this record. Some of the intro's like on the song, "She Builds Quick Machines" are stong. And in my opinion, a song has to have a strong intro. "Let It Roll" has a great intro to. I have rated the song to the best of my obility. Some of the songs on this album almost have a punky feel, or pop like feel to them. Which isn't a bad thing. But others like, "She Builds Quick Machines," "Just Sixteen," are great up beat rock songs with great intro's. there really isn't much of a story that I can see behind this album. It just seems like a group of guys trying, and completing to make a great rock album.

The thing about Scott (frontman), is that you can't really tell what he is talking about. Like sometimes there videos are completly different than what sounds like there singing. It just doesn't fit sometimes. But on the song "The Last Fight" the lyrics are strong, and really emotionall sounding, he has a good gift for melody. I wish he would use his voice better. He is definitly albe to do more than he did I think.

It almost sounds like some "Snakepit" stuff (Slash's band). But There really isn't any other album it sounds like. it's got it's own thing going on. In my opinion, the strongest songs are, "She Builds Quick Machines," "The Last Fight," "For A Brother," and "Just Sixteen." I love this album, cause it is really melodic. It's got great solos, and guitar work (bass to) drums are great, the vocal melody could be better on some songs, but over all is a great album. If I lost this album, I would go out that same day and get another copy. any music love sould get a copy.

Mynewerusername
    hippotato7
    molfe
    Stop Messin' wrote: Great album! Awesome follow up to Contraband.
    Perfectly Said!
    Waterboy799
    nzhead
    I really like this album, but I think I would like it more if it wasn't VR...I guess I was expecting some of that "mongrel" that was Contraband. If this was a debut album though, and had nothing before I think it would be ruling!!
    leSRVpaul1990
    like many people are saying, nothing on the album really stands out to me. "Pills, Demons & Etc." has a nice little funky feel to it, and "The Last Fight" has a nice acoustic twinge to it. But save for these to songs the "grinding" rhytm sections just get a bit monotonous and blend together a bit. They sound a bit underdeveloped, one could say. Velvet Revolver, in my opinion, are stuck in a groove that i just can't find depth in. They lack the freedom that Axl's vocal range afforded them. The only track i'm still pleased with from Contraband is Fall to Pieces, and i have yet to find a track from Libertad that i'll be listening to a year or two from now
    grungeisdeaduk
    at first i wasnt too into it but i dunno after a few listens quite a few tracks have grown on me and its a decent album nothin special but it wont be with everyone expecting another "apatite for destruction" if you forget its VR and listen to it its quite a decent album
    eurodude
    I really Like VR.. but i wasn't to impressed at first by Libertad.. but after listening it twice... it all changed.... !!
    olithebass
    pretty good album bought it today prefer contraband but thats maybe cos Ive had more time to listen to and appreciate all the songs probably better than chinese democracy ambum still whenevr it comes out. I duno I wont be alive at the time it does so I supose Ill never find out
    FRDesign
    Me@UGC wrote: I cant listen to this album... Most of the songs are boring and often anoying. And the fact that a lot of songs sound "pop-ish"... Anyway, I listened to it 2 times. The first time I hated it, and the second time i almost couldnt finish. And, execept for some riffs, I wouldnt consider this rock. It's more like Pop-Rock. It should fit teenagers needs, though.
    Your kidding me.
    Herman-Ri
    LynchMobster
    grayfox1001
    if you ask me, contraband was better. this sounds like stone temple pilots without sweet guitar solos, instead of it's own sound, like how contraband was...it's still a good album though
    Herman-Ri
    LynchMobster wrote: Herman-Ri wrote: hippotato7 wrote: the singer weiland or whatever is terrible, but the music makes this album way better then the first Scott Weiland is one of the best vocalists in modern rock, your comment shows you stupidity to the max. He was, but maybe not anymore. Well, actually he is still probably one of the best. But compared to his stuff with STP, hes not even close to what he was once able to do. Slash seems held back on this album too. He really didnt do too much fancy stuff, and the solos for the most part were unsatisfying. i know he could do some better stuff, he just didnt. I was listening to some of the tracks, and he sounded like he was about to take off and shred, but then he didnt and the solo was over. I was hoping for more harder stuff though. There were a couple moments that brought back memories of Appetite, but quickly faded. I liked the album, but not as much as Contraband.
    I know he wasn't as good as his STP days but too say he was terrible? He may not be as good as he was before but he is still pretty damn good.
    zackk
    i just got it... i listened to it on the way home and its good
    jerbal
    it's nice but i rate contraband was better . Fall to pieces ftw
    mr_sinistah
    Mynewerusername wrote: Today I bought both this album and contraband. I listened to each of them twice; so my comparison was fair, seeing as I hadn't listened to either album previously. Contraband wins. Way sleezier and ballsier and all of that great stuff.
    Contraband WAAAAAY better Libertad is not heavier at all, Slash and Dave just took distortion from 7 to 9, that's all, sounds crap. Slash's sig tone isn't there, nor are all maaaaad solos. American Man solo is good though. Nothing Special....disappointed.
    zackk
    im going to pick it up whenever i can. and scott is better than axl
    mr_sinistah
    Waterboy799 wrote: Teh1337Hax0rz wrote: It's a really mediocre album to me, nothing really stands out agreed, Contraband was such an awesome album, Libertad just doesn't hold a candle to it. i was disappointed to listen to this album to tell you the truth
    Too true so sad....Hope Slash isn't on a downfall and VR for that matter.
    pfa
    if u want some ballsy sleeze rock check out steven adlers band "adlers appetite" they sound ace.
    Teenager07
    As far as slash is concerned on this album he truley is at his peek.. the guitar is amazing.. i do think its a shame weiland dosnt inject as much energy in an album as axl did but what can you do... but the guitar drums and bass are all awesome and show a real progression in all there playing.
    sp0ckr0cks
    i just think Slash kicks ass and VR is better than GnR ever will be again (although Appetite is probably the greatest album ever made).
    simonjw87
    Disappointing, i loved contraband and expected similar. Lots of repetitive riffs in libertad. I heard she builds quick machines and found it OK but hoped the rest of the album would be better, but i dont think it was. My favourite song was probably the last fight and i dont mind the cover can't get you out of my head. (off topic but i recommend checking out Megadeth - United Abominations) Im obssessed with it atm.
    scra9iron125
    kinda disappointed with the last fight, expected a real november rain-type wailing solo, but the rest of the albums is good
    Warheart1188
    I got the 'special edition' album w/bonus track a few weeks ago and the first 4 songs are good but other than that, it's not anything great.
    scarfacesuit
    jamesy15 wrote: Really good, could of done with being a bit more hard ass though!! She Builds Quick Machines is definetely the album's highlight.
    i didn't really like "She Builds Quick Machines" much... i was kind of hoping the rest of the album would be better. hm..
    hardrocker64
    Yea, I agree with that. However I think it is more solid from start to finish.
    Litmus wrote: cant say i was to impressed with this album. There is'nt really any song that stands out on it self, unlike the first album with Fall to pieces and Slither. Avrage album at best
    SynisterSlash92
    Ok Guns N' Roses and contraband aside this is a great album of course comparing ibertad to the genious of GNR is outragous. But overall this is a great abum slash and the boys are at the top of their game!
    pfa
    just listened to a few tracks off the album and ive gotta say im slightly disspointed, when i saw them in manchester the new songs sounded ace. it comes across as having more of dancable feel to it and scotts chorus' seem really repetetive. maybe it will grow on me.
    guns4ever
    i actually think she builds quick machines was the albums weakest song, but i like the album as a whole better than contraband...wierd view i guess but there ya go