Libertad review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jul 3, 2007
Velvet Revolver: Libertad

VR mixes the explosive 80's excess with, Scott weilands "Voices" straight out of 94', and a little bit of 70's arena rock. This album is like taking a radio and hurtling it through some kind of time warp, it is different and I like it. It is good old fashioned fun loving rock like I've never heard it before.

Scott really does a solid job of writing here even though he sticks to the classic rock template for subject matter. Still somtimes his lyrics don't make sense to me, but they do to him and fit the music so that is all that matters. Scott's voice is solid throughout the album and I still think he was a great choice for a singer.

Don't listen to this album expecting Contraband or you will probably hate it. It isn't as balls to the wall hard rock as Contraband, but that is what Contraband a solid collection of hard rock, as an album Libertad is much better it has diversity and a classic sound that I really have fallen in love with. As for the songs being single worthy I say more power to it! This stuff is much better than today's typical radio fodder. 01. Let It Roll - good solid opener, a little short but Slash saves the day with great guitar work. 02. She Mine - singable chorus, great guitar, great song. 03. Get Out The Door - I really like this song, it just has that rock n' roll feel to it, Props to Brendan O' Brien for warping weiland's voice at the end, it freaks me out. 04. She Builds Quick Machines - this was a good choice for a single because it eases you into VR's new sound, it would fit on Contraband, but the new sound is there during the "What you give" part. 05. The Last Fight - this song rocks easily one of the best on the album lyrically. The heir apparent to "Fall To Pieces". 06. Pills Demons & Etc - another great singable song, it's about pills and demons, go figure. Solo is short but good. 07. American Man - this song's chorus reminds me of "The Who". All around solid song I love Slash's guitar work here. 08. Mary Mary - this is a classic anthem to a rock and roll vixen. The Ooh ooh oohs are awesome. It gets in your head and sticks. 09. Just Sixteen - I'm torn here I love the song, but the second verse is disturbingly dirty, still the chorus is great. 10. Can't Get It Out Of My Head - an ELO cover fits the whole feel of this album and VR nails it, Slash burns the place down with his guitar one of the bests. 11. For A Brother - probably about Scotts Bro, and I give him props he gives him a rock song instead of a ballad, and a good one at that. Another great song. 12. Spay - as much as I love this album for some reason I hate this song, easily the worst song here, sounds like a Contraband reject. It's not that bad but it it doesn't come close to the rest of the stuff. 13. Gravedancer - another good ballad, probably the softest and most emotional we will ever hear these guys, I really like it though, and stay tuned for a sweet folky country bonus track afterwards. If you like rock buy this album immediately it is really good, different, but good. If it were lost or stolen, I would go buy it again and play it just as much. I have heard the whole thing close to four times now and it doesn't get old. Put this and Contraband in a playlist and you are ready for anything!

nico_vr
    this guys are so ****ing great, i love this record, and i wont get tired of listening never, thanks for that reviews