Libertad review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jul 3, 2007
Velvet Revolver: Libertad

Velvet Revolver's second album Libertad is the much needed kickstart to the modern music industry consisting of untalented, rap, pop, and crybaby emo artists. Libertad is good, hard rock and roll, something we lack nowadays. Slash pumps out solid riffs and solos, some of his best since Appetite, and Duff, Dave, and Matt hold down a tight and punchy rhythm section. Scott's vocals are strong like always, especially on the few slower songs. The sound is more polished than on Contraband, but not to the point of being overproduced. Libertad is the album which the boys start to come into there own sound and not just GN'R meets STP. It does lack some of the hard hitters Contraband had, but is in no way bad.

Scott Wieland has never been Dylan or Lennon but his lyrics are sharp and fit the music well, especially on The Last Fight and Just Sixteen. Most of them are the typical rock fair, hedonism, but that's never a bad thing, especially now, where everybody just cries about losing their girlfriend.

01. Let It Roll - a nice strong opener, with some sweet, heavy riffing. Scott's performance stands out and Slash has a short but good solo. 02. She Mine - the song took time to hit me, but since it has it turned out to be pretty good, with a nice catchy chorus. Not one of my fav's but still a great track. 03. Get Out The Door - I really like this one. The guitars and bass have a nice, pulsing rhythm and the chorus is catchy as hell. 04. She Builds Quick Machines - the leadoff single for Libertad and a very strong track. The opening riff is awesome and the band lays back for the verses before blaring back for the antemic chorus and the very sweet breakdown. Also a cool solo by Slash. The lyrics are wierd, but the music more than makes up for it. 05. The Last Fight - the first slow song and it happens to be great. The snare/guitar opening is sweet with great lyrics. A very pretty song most anyone will like. 06. Pills, Demons, And Etc. - this is another short one but it is very cool (especially the backing vocals, Sympathy for the Devil anyone). It has a nice alternative sounding riff. 07. American Man - a good, hard, rock song with a catchy chorus. Not a fav but solid. 08. Mary Mary - this track flows right off American Man with some nice guitar Work from Slash and some cool lyrics. 09. Just Sixteen - I love this song. One of the fastest on the album, with some ripping guitar trade-offs from Slash and Dave. The vocals kick ass and the chorus is one of their best. Great solo too. 10. Cant Get It Out Of My Head - an ELO cover that fits surprising well with the other songs. Nice vocals. 11. For A Brother - this song never stood out to me for some reason. it's not bad and is pretty strong, just not a highlight. 12. Spay - this one is pretty cool. A lot of people don't like it, but I think it has a cool STP like sound. 13. Gravedancer - this one rocks, It's slower like The Last Fight, but has a real haunting sound and an amazing solo from Slash, great closer (not counting the country thing, which is hilarious). Overall, Libertad is an awesome album, one of the best in a while, with no filler. I'd go buy another one even if it wasn't stolen.

Polish guy
    sounds different than Contraband, but if you listen songs a few times, you're gonna love it Libertad is awesome !
    bls4life8
    i like this cd but i think contraband is a lil better and i cant wait to see these guys in concert with alice in chains it should rock
    mrbiscuits315
    I dunno if im going to get this album... it sounds pretty cool but it sounds like theres better cds out there to buy.
    Chevelle454
    i want someone to tab out can't get it out of my head, with the exception of a few singles from the last contraband, i like libertad more.