At War With Satan Review

Venom: At War With Satan
Released: Apr 16, 1984
Genre: Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Label: Neat Records
For this album Venom combined elements of their two previous albums "Welcome To Hell" and "Black Metal". It had "Welcomes To Hell"'s heavier more intense feel and it also had "Black Metal"'s faster, insane feel to it.
 8.6
 8.2
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
At War With Satan Reviewed by: Megadethfan245, on july 26, 2011

Sound: Well for this album Venom combined elements of their two previous albums "Welcome To Hell" and "Black Metal". It had "Welcomes To Hell"'s heavier more intense feel and it also had "Black Metal"'s faster, insane feel to it. I like "Black Metal" a bit more than this album, but I do love what they did with this album. I'd say after this album Venom started to lose a bit of their magic. The first 3 Venom albums are must have for all metal heads. But anyway, like the other early Venom albums the recording quality is less than excellent, or even okay really. But it was mixed in such a way that almost made the bad quality better. So I am very glad that it was mixed like this. The title track of this album "At War With Satan" is about 20 minutes long. It was inspired by Rush's "2112". Cronos said that was one of his favorite albums. // 9

Lyrics: Typical Satan, Satanism all that stuff really. Like I've said before in my other reviews, Venom always find new ways to present the same ideas really. But my favorite song lyrically that isn't completely about hell and Satan is probably "Women, Leather And Hell". Cronos's voice is great on this album like all early Venom albums. I personally prefer his older vocals instead of his newer vocals like on "Metal Black". Cronos is actually one of my favorite singers of all time. But like I've said before in my other reviews, Venom always find new ways to present the same ideas really. // 8

Overall Impression: It is definitely a great metal album. If you've never heard it than definitely check it out soon. It is definitely worth it. I think the best song on the album is "At War With Satan" because it's such a long epic story. With heavier and lighter parts, and really it is a war with Satan, it's brilliant. I really love everything about this album, nothing I would change if I could. Go buy it kids. If this album was stolen from me I'd probably do a Satanic ritual and get Satan to kick the f--ker's a-s! // 10

Comments