Black Metal review by Venom

• Released: Mar 11, 2002
Venom: Black Metal

Venom's second album Black Metal is a very good example of early extreme metal, arguably more akin to the speed/NWOBHM style of Motorhead or even the early thrash acts than the later black metal bands. But this album takes a step beyond the the New Wave, the sound is crude and muddy, especially the guitar, most of the riffs resemble the classic New wave style but often they slip to the proto-thrash/death/black approach.

The lyrics are mostly abut hell and Satan, as all early Venom lyrics were. Not the best written lyrics but they are delivered well by Cronos' strange and harsh voice, certainly not growls or shrieks, just shouted with little or no control or melody. The vocals are different from those used by other bands at the time, in some parts they even surpass Lemmy's.

I can't say that Venom is a very talented band, Cronos(bass and vocals)plays along the guitar during the instrumental sections and when he sings he often just plays eight or sixteen notes, Mantas is no better story, you definitely wont hear any devastating leads or complex figures, what you will hear is a bare guitar sound, which I like but most will not. There is a lot of great vibe, and this is the main attribute of both Venom and Black Metal. I like most of the songs especially "Countess Bathory" "Heaven's On Fire", To Hell And Back" and "Teacher's Pet".

Phil Collins
    whaip wrote: Religulous wrote: I'm not trying to get in a fight but, how is this Black Metal?... Yeah I know most Black Metal bands truly are lame... But not all.. There are a few that are just excellent. I was looking at videos by Venom and they seem more Thrash than Black Metal.. Especially since the intro solo to one of the songs was just running up and down the pentatonic scale, lol Eh, I don't get it. The lyrics aswell were more 80's Slayer-esque than any black metal band maaaan, check the time... with venom the hole scene started!
    Because this was before the term "Black Metal" was an established music genre. It's obvious that it won't sound like the 2nd and 3rd gen black metal you listen to, but it got the ball rolling.
    prof.cx43
    that album was cool and i still jam it cause it's Venom, thats it,don't over think it.
    Metalmangini
    SilverHammer :O wrote: I used to have this on Itunes. It's a pretty good album. I think the only effect it had on Black Metal is the shitty quality.
    rofl so true
    SilverHammer :O
    guitarman47
    I could never really get into this album but I can certainly respect them for the large impact that it had on the metal scene. That's really the only reason why I bought it
    MotörHeadFan22
    Venom named the genre, but they influenced the thrash scene the most.
    FearOfTheDuck
    These guys scared people back in the day! Its funny when you look back on it now. They were just having a laugh. I like them. They influenced slayer, metallica, and early extreme metal like sepultura.
    whaip
    maaaan, check the time... with venom the hole scene started!
    Religulous
    JustLikeMe
    oldschoolthrash wrote: Wait...sorry for double post, but why is the pic and info Metal Black but the title and review are for Black Metal?
    Thank you! fixed
    oldschoolthrash
    Thrashing Matt
    Great album! A must have any Metal fan. "Lay down your souls to the Gods Rock n Roll!"- Cronos