Black Metal: Deluxe Edition [DVD] review by Venom

• Released: Sep 14, 2009
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 8
Venom: Black Metal: Deluxe Edition [DVD]

The Sound of this album is actually terrific, considering this was filmed 26 years ago and converted from VHS, there are some fuzzy moments here and there but overall the sound is brilliant. There is a little story from the booklet that comes with the deluxe edition DVD, i'll type if out for you all Cronos - '' This show has only been available before on video, or as a bootleg and you'd have to go on some bogus internet site to get a copy. Now, we've cleaned it up a bit and decided to finally put it out on DVD,so the fans can have a proper version to watch. We've not gone overboard on the transfer, the show works fine the way it is. I didn't want to remix the audio or put any special effects on the footage, the DVD is exactly the same as the original VHS, '' warts'n'all.'' That is straight from Cronos himself, what a legend. The musical style of this album is pure mayhem! Real straight up Venom metal, hard hitting, fast, high gain, 80's speed, black, Venom metal! Overall, the sound is great, and you can hear what the boys are screaming about easily enough, I'm giving this a 9 because it is so good

Content — 9
The DVD comes with 14 tracks 01. Intro 02. Leave Me In Hell 03. Countess Bathory 04. Die Hard 05. 7 Gates Of Hell 06. Cronos Bass solo 84 07. Buried Alive 08. Don't Burn The Witch 09. In Nomine Satanas 10. Welcome To Hell 11. Warhead 12. Stand Up ( And Be Counted ) 13. Mantas Guitar Solo 84 14. Bloodlust I am satisfied i suppose with this setlist but i would have loved to heard Angel Dust and Witching hour thrown into the mix,but sadly they were not. This is a live DVD, filming Venoms seven dates of Hell show at the Hammersmith Arena in London in 1984, showing the show in its entirety. Besides the initial performance, the DVD also features some bonus music videos thrown in. Witching Hour Bloodlust Nightmare The best out of these would be nightmare I say, as the production of the video and the storyline also is fantastic! Cronos in a top hat will bring many laughs to the family.

Production Quality — 8
The production quality really is terrific, this was filmed 26 years ago as of 2010 and converted from VHS to DVD, the boys have cleaned it up and taken the fuzz and other blotches out of the initial recording, which gives it a world of freshness. There are some moments where the color goes a little out of wack but you really cannot expect something like that not to happen to a recording this old. There are plenty of great camera shots use to film the whole performance, the camera changed angle about every 6-9 or so seconds and it really does keep the ball rolling, it has views of just about every part of the stage. Although one thing I did find annoying is that the drummer is rarely looked upon, perhaps this is Cronos's way of getting back at Abbadon for rarely helping write the songs back in the day?

This DVD, considering the time it was filmed also, and what it took for this to come into the hands of Venoms legions, is truly a masterpiece that all Venom fans should pick up, this was an extra with the Black Metal deluxe edition also! There really is nothing that stands out about this DVD, the whole thing is equal in terms of awesomeness, I absolutely love it and every part of it is wonderful. I love the production and the fact that it was filmed with the original line up, I love the pyro and the effort and work and love put into the show, this truly is Venom at their best! The only thing I hate is that they did not put Witching Hour onto the set list.... If this were stolen or lost, I would buy it again for sure, assuming I could get my hands on it, I truly am happy with my aquiring of this, it sounds great, it looks great, and any real Venom fans will try to get their hands on this, there really is nothing bad about it! Lay Down Your Soul To The Gods Rock And Roll! Black Metal!

krvolok
    as I allways say,Venom,not the most talented bunch but allways fun The same thing iw sith Motorhead,there are faster,more aggresive,heavier,but non louder or funer good review
    TheEsupremacy
    krvolok, you hit the nail right on the head. Not the most talented band on the planet but a blast to see live. The fact of the matter is, they have had a great influence on a LOT of metal bands. I have nothing but respect for Cronos. His voice rules. Venom was one of the first concerts I ever saw, good times, good times...
    Frost_Power
    Maybe because the majority of people prefer this album over all others? what are you so sore over?
    krvolok
    the number of bands influenced by Venom is large no doubt abut it,Venom is one of the earliest,if not the first extreme metal band,and their influence was great on thrash bands,death bands,and of course black metal bands,and you cant really dispute that.Every band has a fan favorite-album in their discography,Slayer's Reign In Blood an so on I've spent a entire summer with "Black Metal" in my old(then new)128mb mp3 player playing counter strike in a local club...all night long the virgins /counter-terrorists win/
    KileManA7X
    This is the most ****ing overated album ever in existance. Sure I loved it like 10 years ago but am so ****ing sick of hearing all these re-issues and wtf was up with naming their album "metal black"? It's like you ask any Venom fan what their favorite album is and they always say this. They have a ton of other albums but this one just gets the most attention.