Welcome To Hell review by Venom

• Released: Jan 12, 1981
Venom: Welcome To Hell

This album may have been the start of all things extreme metal. Without "Welcome To Hell" (1981) and Venom's next album "Black Metal" (1982) we possibly wouldn't have any thrash metal, death metal or black metal (the black metal thing is debatable though, but in my opinion it wouldn't exist without them). Venom were just a truly amazing band. I know they are still a band but I say "were" because they aren't Venom anymore to me. They are just Cronos and a few other guys in the band. The Venom on this album is the real Venom. Mantas, Abaddon and Cronos. Everybody's who's ever seen a live Venom video knows they weren't the most "polished" band around but they made up for that with complete raw energy. I found Venom out because I was just going around YouTube one day and saw "welcome To Hell", the name seemed cool so I pressed it. That was the beginning of my Venom days. It was amazing for me to listen to Venom and then other things and find out how much other bands were influenced. In my opinion Slayer is basically Venom's child. They were just a truly amazing and influential band. 1980-1986 were the best years and those years were filled with metal magic.

Well Venom's lyrics are pretty plain really. Hell, Satan, Satanism and death. On this album the lyrics that aren't about hell really are the songs "Schizo" and "Snots Shit". But it does amaze me how many ways they can talk about Hell and Satan so I do applaud them for that. The lyrics fit perfectly with the music without a doubt. Cronos' singing on this album was great. That singing might've started death metal. It's like raspy screaming and I love it.

"Welcome To Hell" and "Black Metal" are easily the best Venom albums to me at least. "At War With Satan" is also a close competitor. My favorite songs on the album are probably "Witching Hour" and "Schizo". "Witching Hour" is one of my all time favorite songs by anybody. I love everything about this album, the only thing I dislike is that this classic Venom line-up couldn't last any longer because they were truly amazing. If this was lost or stolen I would buy it again in 2 seconds.

krvolok
    Venom - The Slayer before Slayer.The thing abut Venom is that they are not really the most talented band in the world but they are always a blast to hear and I am glad that that is mentioned in the review.
    Grawgos
    Good review and I am glad to see them given the credit they deserve. I can still remember walking into the record store back '81/'82 and seeing that golden goat in the pentagram on the cover. I had never seen anything like it, because, well there wasn't anything like it. I picked it up, flipped it over and read the back and song titles and I was just like, my god I have to buy this. Marched over to the counter cash in hand and bought it. When I got home and cranked it up, I was blown away. I have been a fan ever since. It's one of the best and certainly one of the most important metal albums to ever be released.
    base851
    This album pretty much proves that you don't need talent or even a decent tone to make groundbreaking music. You need good songs, and this album has that in spades.