The Bomb Shelter Sessions review by Vintage Trouble

Vintage Trouble: The Bomb Shelter Sessions

From the opening beat on the drums of "Blues Hand Me Down" to the improvised interplay that rounds out the ending of "Run Outta You," Vintage Trouble has produced a complete revelation in terms of energy and emotion. The playing is tight and expressive with necessary restraint where needed but, rollicking and raucous throughout. The rhythm section of drummer Richard Danielson and bassist Rick Barrio Dill pulses with a masculine desire that cannot be denied and guitarist Nalle Colt's playing fits the song at all times. He channels his inner Hendrix in a few spots but, never encroaches on the listener by overindulging with his prowess. Singer Ty Taylor is front and center and totally comfortable in his own skin to say the least. He channels images of Wilson Picket and James Brown effortlessly without sounding like an impersonator. The raw honesty in his delivery is refreshing and exhilarating. The vintage stax record sound that they've stylized themselves after is treated to a muscular upgrade while maintaining it's vintage designs.

Lyrically diverse and touching. "The Bomb Shelter Sessions" vacillates between the steamy dance floors of the juke joints of yesterday to social issues that that hit home in these trying times we face here in America. Never resting in one spot for too long. Ty and the guys hit home on "Not Alright by Me" with lines like "Something hit me deep, On my sunset walk through the streets, I could see and hear, But I couldn't feel or breathe. From tuning out this static world I've lost the sense of peace. And that's not alright by me." Another highlight from the disc, "Run Outta You" puts you in the shoes of a person who's ex always had the power to come back into his life and take over but, this time he's strong enough to say no to the girl he can't say no to.

Overall they've cobbled together a fine collection of songs for anyone looking for a good rocking CD that transports you back to the heights of rock 'n' roll's power and glory. There are multiple editions of the CD with bonus tracks that continue to please the listener and comply with the original track listing deftly in continuity and quality. The bonus tracks are essential to the story of the little band that coulds' rise to worldwide recognition as they bridge the four year gap between "The Bomb Shelter Sessions" and the follow up disc "1 Hopeful Rd." Nourishing the bands loyal following during the time between discs and live shows supporting The Who, The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, Lenny Kravitz, Brian May and recently on AC/DC's world tour. The whirlwind of success they've enjoyed was hard earned but, well appreciated by the ever grateful and humble guys in Vintage Trouble.