The Bomb Shelter Sessions Review

Vintage Trouble: The Bomb Shelter Sessions
Released: Jul 23, 2010
Genre: Soul, Rock
Label: Vintage Trouble, TuneCore
The sound is pure rhythm & blues mixed with the awesome soulful voice of Ty Taylor.
 8.6
 8.3
 8.8
 1,091
The Bomb Shelter Sessions Reviewed by: nimrod_hahahaha, on april 14, 2011

Sound: As this is Vintage Trouble's first album, there is no real previous work to compare it to, but in this case the band's first offering is made all the more impressive by the fact it's come without the attached expectations from previous albums. The sound is pure rhythm & blues mixed with the awesome soulful voice of Ty Taylor (previously of Dakota Moon). His gospel roots are clearly on show, as are the obvious influences from legends such as otis redding. I'm no expert on mastering and recording etc, but the tone of the guitars to me is pretty much spot on for the style of music VT play. The overall sound and feel of the album for me is the best part about it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are what you would expect from a bluesy/rock album, a good example being from the first track 'blues hand me down' 'I come from vintage trouble look out if I'm the one you found, I'll pop your bubble with my live wire straight shooting dirty mouth' However there are a few more serious songs, notably 'not alright by me' and 'nobody told me', both well placed to compliment the overall feel of the album. As far as lyrical content goes, there isn't really much standout, explosive stuff as you would expect from an album like this. Essentially the lyrics suit the music really well. As far as Ty's skills as a singer, you only have to go on youtube or listen to a few of these tracks to realise he's got what the band needs. From soulful to balls out blues, I can't fault the singing on the album. // 7

Overall Impression: Every now and then you stumble across a band that just catches you out and makes you come back for more, whether it be the technicality of the music, the emotion or simply an awesomely catchy tune. Vintage Trouble are one such band. The approach comes across as old school, both at live shows and on the CD, bringing to mind the glory days of vinyl and the party atmosphere of smaller venues before health and safety became a religion. Overall, the 12 songs on the album were recorded just 2 months into the project of Vintage Trouble, which makes it all the more incredible as a debut piece of work. I would say my favourites from the album are 'Still And Always Will' and 'Run Out Of You', but in all honesty I could happily pick any of them to listen to any time. If Vintage Trouble can keep up this level of catchiness/soul on the next album I will be a very happy man indeed. // 7

The Bomb Shelter Sessions Reviewed by: patriotpizzaman, on september 01, 2015

Sound: From the opening beat on the drums of "Blues Hand Me Down" to the improvised interplay that rounds out the ending of "Run Outta You," Vintage Trouble has produced a complete revelation in terms of energy and emotion. The playing is tight and expressive with necessary restraint where needed but, rollicking and raucous throughout. The rhythm section of drummer Richard Danielson and bassist Rick Barrio Dill pulses with a masculine desire that cannot be denied and guitarist Nalle Colt's playing fits the song at all times. He channels his inner Hendrix in a few spots but, never encroaches on the listener by overindulging with his prowess. Singer Ty Taylor is front and center and totally comfortable in his own skin to say the least. He channels images of Wilson Picket and James Brown effortlessly without sounding like an impersonator. The raw honesty in his delivery is refreshing and exhilarating. The vintage stax record sound that they've stylized themselves after is treated to a muscular upgrade while maintaining it's vintage designs. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically diverse and touching. "The Bomb Shelter Sessions" vacillates between the steamy dance floors of the juke joints of yesterday to social issues that that hit home in these trying times we face here in America. Never resting in one spot for too long. Ty and the guys hit home on "Not Alright by Me" with lines like "Something hit me deep, On my sunset walk through the streets, I could see and hear, But I couldn't feel or breathe. From tuning out this static world I've lost the sense of peace. And that's not alright by me." Another highlight from the disc, "Run Outta You" puts you in the shoes of a person who's ex always had the power to come back into his life and take over but, this time he's strong enough to say no to the girl he can't say no to. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall they've cobbled together a fine collection of songs for anyone looking for a good rocking CD that transports you back to the heights of rock 'n' roll's power and glory. There are multiple editions of the CD with bonus tracks that continue to please the listener and comply with the original track listing deftly in continuity and quality. The bonus tracks are essential to the story of the little band that coulds' rise to worldwide recognition as they bridge the four year gap between "The Bomb Shelter Sessions" and the follow up disc "1 Hopeful Rd." Nourishing the bands loyal following during the time between discs and live shows supporting The Who, The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, Lenny Kravitz, Brian May and recently on AC/DC's world tour. The whirlwind of success they've enjoyed was hard earned but, well appreciated by the ever grateful and humble guys in Vintage Trouble. // 10

Comments