Torture Tactics review by Vio-lence

• Released: Jul 12, 1991
Vio-lence: Torture Tactics

Vio-lence was the origional band of Rob Flynn, from Machine Head. While Machine Head sucks, Rob was an absolutly genius on this EP. The lyrics he wrote were amazing, and were only matched by his guitar riffs. Listening to torture tactics makes me think old school slayer and metallica with a hint of D.R.I. Though only an EP, I would find it hard for anyone to call this anything but a masterpiece. The guitar riffs are perfectly harmonized, and the guitar solos are skilled, but not overly done. Every song is a thrash gem and crafted to perfection. The drums are nothing special, which is kind of a plus, being that every drummer today tries too hard to be technical or fast. The overall sound is great, because it's just a band playing good thrash, not playing for money, fame, or instrumental praise. Torture Tactics is thrash for the sake thrash, not overly done, not poorly skilled, the right balence of skill without showing off.

Torture Tacitics is most often critisied for the lyrics to "Gutterslut." Aside from that, I find the lyrics and vocals pretty good. Shawn Killian found a good range for thrash, not screeching and not growling. It was pretty fast paced throughout the EP, but Killian kept in unision with the music.The lyrics could have been better, but I wouldn't say they were bad.

Torture Tactics is an overall masterpiece of the genre. From it's thrashy guitars, to the pounding vocals. I don't think anyone could honestly claim to be a fan of Vio-lence and not own this EP. The song "Gutterslut," just further proves the how awesome this Ep truly is. The sound achived on Torture Tactics has yet to be recreated by anyother band. I could type all day about how great this Ep is but it's something you'd have to hear for yourself. Any fan of thrash metal would love this EP.