Add It Up (1981-1993) review by Violent Femmes

• Released: Sep 14, 1993
Violent Femmes: Add It Up (1981-1993)

Let me just say that The Violent Femmes are a great band. Now as I say this, some may disagree. With that, I must insist that anyone who disagrees with me listen more closely to them. Their sound is not one that can be easily compared. All I can say is that it's definately different. There's not really a lot of electronics involved instrument-wise. Basically acoustic bass, snare drums, and (of course) the infamous tranceaphone. All of that combined with the occasional sax and Gordon Gano's whiny voice. Overall a great sound. This has been said before, but Gordon Gano is the voice of teen angst. The sound is amazing to a true music lover, but it can get slightly drawn out. For example: the break in "Black Girls." The game calls and sax solos. crazy stuff, but somehow, it works.

The lyrics are pretty simple. Nothing really outstanding about them. But somehow, they hold deep meaning. I have no clue how to explain it. But the lyrics just fit perfectly. Maybe my opinion is biased, or maybe thats just how it is. Of course, "Country Death Song" and "Gimme The Car" are probably the best lyric-wise. overall, the songs are all great. But (and I emphasize "but") I must warn anyone that plans to buy this. There are a couple of filler tracks. They're short and just sort of there. Otherwise, the lyrics are great.

They aren't really easy to compare to. I really like "Country Death Song" the most. "Add It Up" is a great song, but its kinda drawn out on this album. I really love almost everything about this album. Even the filler tracks. If it were stolen, I would steal it back and shoot the thief in the leg. If it was lost I would find it again.