Violent Femmes Review

Released: 1983
Label: Slash/Rhino
Genre: Rock
Styles: College Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, New Wave
For the remainder of their career, the group would only approach this level in isolated moments.
 9.1
 9.3
 8.9
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Violent Femmes Reviewed by: patduganz, on july 06, 2005

Sound: The Femmes don't sound like other bands. They rely on loopy flowing basslines of Brain Ritchie and Gordan Gano's whiny shriek, all accompanied by minimalist guitar work, and a drummer who doesn't even use a bass drum. This record has flkish type music, reggae, and some Ramones style punk. // 10

Lyrics: I know all of the words from the beginning of this record to the end. Gano has a talent for writing lyrics that are instantly identifiable with. He is the voice of teen angst. "Well you know that I want your loving/but mr. logic tells me it ain't never gonna happen/then my defenses say "well I didn't want it anyway/but you know sometimes I'm a liar." - From 'Promise'. // 8

Overall Impression: This is in my Top 5 Albums list. It includes such classics as "Blister in the Sun" and "Kiss Off." Throw this album on and you automatically want to sing along and learn each riff. I own the normal CD version, as well as the Deluxe version, which comes with a disc of demos and live recordings as well as an interview with the band before they became the legends they are today. If you don't own this album, you need to buy it. // 10

Comments