Made In Chernobyl Review

8.7
 9.9
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Made In Chernobyl Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2011

Sound: The release of Viza's album 'Made in Chernobyl' has gone unnoticed by the big public. For those who don't know them yet, they are a American band of 9 with eastern influences. Made in Chernobyl is, as you would expect, Soviet based. The mix of rock and eastern music gives a weird but great effect. // 9

Lyrics: Their lyrics are, again, strange, but very good. In a particular song: fork in the road, they sing almost the whole time 'keep your kids by the fireplace, there is a fork in the road'. This however makes the song one of the better songs of the album. Their "hit" Trans-Siberian standoff is on of the best songs I ever heard, with an amazing guitar riff by the lead guitarist, Orbel Babayan. The singing is very good, and you can see that K'noup has looked to Serj Tankian on how to sing: his voice varies from low to high with ease. Though their lyrics seem to be just nonsense the first time you listen, are they quite deep when you listen closely. The Album is put well together. The lyrics aren't meant very serious, and have often a sarcastic, humorous undertone. The first sentence of'Napoleon Complex' are for example: 'he was five feet tall, weight 100 pounds' But also the songs 'Dynamite' Uzbek Brothel' and many others can be seen the same way. They have a soft song as well: 'Sans Red'is a good love song, if you can call it that. // 9

Overall Impression: This is their second full album, after a few EP's, and I have to say that is is their best album so far, the consistency of 'made in Chernobyl' is better than their earlier work. There is nothing I consider bad, expect for the fact that it has just 11 songs: I would like to have more songs of them. I love every aspect of them, and I recommend it to everybody who likes a differed kind of rock. // 8

Comments