Angel Rat review by Voivod

Voivod: Angel Rat

Voivod's sixth studio album, 1992's Angel Rat, apparently turned out to be a huge disappointment. Not only does it follow one of their classic works, 1990's Nothingface, but the bad news about this album was that their original bassist Blacky immediately after the recording. So, this made Angel Rat less successful than it's predecessor, although it's still an OK album in my opinion. Well, there is still some old metallic Voivod in here, the opening riff sounding much more Motrhead than Radiohead. However, the majority of this does indeed contain some alternative riffs and leanings. Not to say that it's a bad album, just that it isn't the skull-throttling insanity of War and Pain and Killing Technology. Piggy's guitar riffs are a bit weak, but if you're expecting something cookie cutter thrash metal, you will be disappointed. I do think they fit the sound that Voivod was aiming for here. The bass lines are great as well. The Prow in particular sticks out as an example of some of the fine bass lines of the album. The same goes for the drumming (althogh to be honest with you, analyzing drumming is my weak point). The bass lines are great as well. "The Prow" in particular sticks out as an example of some of the fine bass lines of the album. The same goes for the drumming (althogh to be honest with you, analyzing drumming is my weak point).

Some of the songs on this record have complicated lyrics. I mean, when I listen to Angel Rat, Denis Belanger's singing on some of the songs sounds a little different than his singing on the Nothingface album. This makes it too hard for me to understand what he was saying.

I would probably compare Angel Rat to either Annihilator's Alice in Hell/Never, Neverland or anything by Helloween in terms of guitar playing. I don't really like the production of this album, because of because of Denis' hard-to-understand vocals, but it still had solid songs in it. And what are the great songs on this record? "Panorama" is a good opening track and "Clouds in My House" is quite a nice, laid-back dirge with it's dreamlike riff in the chorus. Then "The Prow", which is the catchiest and certainly the most enjoyable. There aren't really any bad tracks or any sections that really grate at me, it's just that it doesn't pull any "Tribal Convictions" or "Psychic Vacuum" out to crush my skull and force me to surrender to the gods of thrash. Angel Rat is quite a nice ballad, with some enjoyable leadwork too. I also like how the last track is titled "None of the Above", even if the song itself is fairly average.