First Hit For Free review by Voodoo Six

• Released: Apr 15, 2008
Voodoo Six: First Hit For Free

The sound of this band, unlike other metal-styled bands, seems to have more of a feel to it. I find that some metal and heavy bands sound like some people hitting guitars in an attempt to produce some sort of music (the band 'Six Feet Under' are a prime example). 'Voodoo Six' seem to have taken a lot of time with the instrumentation on this album, and with the structure. The opening track (Faith) defines the band's style and, ultimately, the style of the album clearly. The power-chord, distortion stereotypes of the whole 'metal' genre is evident and is nothing new to the world. The elements mentioned are a running thing throughout the album, and so should satisfy most metal fans. I don't like to compare bands, but if you haven't heard of a band, then it's the only thing to do. Some tracks are similar to something that 'Metallica' would release (the intro to 'No Friend of Mine') and some sound like Papa Roach (various parts of 'Walking on Nails'). I could go on about bands who bare a likeness to 'Voodoo Six', but that would make for one lengthy review. I feel that, all in all, this band is a lot more listenable that most others out there right now. People might not agree with me, but that's my honest opinion. Their sound is nothing new (not by a long shot), but it is certainly honed and established well.

The lyrics are well written, and the vocals can actually be made it, which I find is a rarity in some metal music. The singer's vocals sound great with the music being played. Much better than someone grabbing a microphone and roaring random vowels in a low voice, but anyway The screaming vocals at points do annoy me, but that comes with the sound, I suppose. There's not much else to say in this section; just damn good vocals.

As I have said, there is nothing new about the band's actual sound, but it's still good. They're worth a listen for anyone who likes a bit O' metal, but people who like the lighter music (pop, average rock etc.) might not see the same way. I'm gonna get a grilling for saying this but I find them more listenable than 'Metallica' or 'Static X' or whoever. You can decide for yourself about whether you want to give it a try or not; I'm only here to suggest. I like this album, personally.

nikh158
    If you already own the their first (2006) album, Feed My Soul, then don`t bother with this, as it`s the same album with one extra track, Faith, added. I thought they may have re-recorded the older album, but playing them side-by-side shows they haven`t even bothered to do that. So it`s not a new album then and if you already own Feed My Soul then all you have to do is download Faith, which is a great track. If, however you`re new to the band and don`t own Feed My Soul then this is well worth a listen. Musically, V6 combine a classic rock sound with a more modern metal touch. The guitar sound is generally excellent, with some superb riffwork and soloing, but there`s a downside. I feel the singer (vocalist?) is the weak link here. He has a generic Classic Rock screaming style (think Ian Gillan) but simply doesn`t have the range to carry it off. This shows up particularly in Walking On Nails, where his voice sounds flat and rather wobbly. Incidentally,the initial verse in Walking On Nails sounds so much like Patti Smith`s Because The Night that I`m sure if she heard it she`d be straight on to her lawyers. Best tracks are the first four, particularly Faith, possibly the best on the CD. Worth a listen, but they`re not going to set the world alight.
    rosalie
    I already have Feed My Soul too but I bought First Hit For Free as it was advertised on the V6 website & myspace etc that Feed My Soul had been remixed & remastered with the new single 'Faith' added so I knew what I was getting. This band ROCKS & the album sounds and looks better too so I wouldn't say it was a waste of money at all. If you're lucky enough to catch them live on their tour with Blaze Bayley, you might well agree with me!