Arise Conquer review by War of Ages

• Released: Jul 22, 2008
War of Ages: Arise  Conquer

This is by far the best War Of Ages album. You can really tell how the band as a whole are getting better. This album is full of intense guitar riffs, insanely fast double bass beats, and Leroy's signature scream. The only thing it lacks is some in your face bass lines. I can sit through this whole album without changing a song, it's that good. In fact, choosing a favorite song is like choosing a favorite child, you like them all equally. If you are a WOA fan, big or small, this album is a must-have.

The lyrics really flow with the music. I am a huge fan of Leroy's screaming and he uses it well. He does do a little bit of singing (not screaming) and he still keeps his composure making the album all the better. Still keeping the same theme of being a Christian band, he makes the lyrics not to over-powering to non-believers.

01. All Consuming Fire: perfect song to start off the album. It starts with Leroy screaming "All consuming fire buuuuuurn!" and then works its way into some killer riffs, a crazy solo, and a hardcore breakdown. The drums in this song are beyond belief, constant double bass through-out the whole song, but not over-doing it. 02. When Faith Turns To Ashes: short and sweet. This song, in my opinion, is just a filler for the album. It's not the best, in fact it may be the worst song on the album, but don't be mistaken because the worst song on a perfect album is still an excellent song. 03. Through The Flames: if you like WOA or not, you like this song. This is a technical guitar filled song. It has a catchy chorus of Leroy singing, keeping the lyrics strong through-out the song. Probably one of my favorites on the album. 04. Salvation: starting off with an insane intro solo, Salvation is one of the best songs on this album. An obvious Christian song, Leroy talks about standing up and fighting for what you know is best and what is right. This is another completely filled with double bass, showing off Alex's amazing talents. 05. Sleep Of Prisoners: one more good-ass song. This song demonstrates Brandon and Steve's guitar skills. It's just another song with a, probably the best, solo on Arise & Conquer. 06. Wages Of Sin: this has to be one more of my favorites. This song has an As I Lay Dying feel to it, considering Tim Lambesis produced the album. Once again, showing off the guitarist's abilities, this song just draws you in, with powerful lyrics such as, "We've reached our destination yet we've failed you. Dragged through our consequences in our wake we fall." and, "Why have we used our pain as an excuse to fight so boldly? Here I am, use me in every moment I have left." He uses some soft vocals in it too proving he doesn't need to scream everything. 07. Yet Another Fallen Eve: from the start, this song catches your attention, beginning with a sweet guitar riff. The double bass is perfect with the song and really makes you want to play the drums or just go try to play. Then the end, which has a beautiful outro solo which displays, once again, how far their guitarists have come since the self-titled album War Of Ages. 08. Generational Curse: another short song, but it's a good one. He talks about seeking God and preparing him for "war". Although it is short, it is still filled with musical talents from the whole band. 09. The Awakening: this is a new and better remake of The Awakening off Fire From The Tomb. It's obvious too that this version is better making it sound less like they recorded it in their garage like off WOA. Another drum song, and I have to say, this one takes the cake. Probably my favorite song on the album (if I HAD to choose). 10. The Deception Of Strongholds: showing that they not only play heavily distorted songs, The Deception Of Strongholds starts off with a soft, clean intro slowly fading into a masterpiece of an intro solo. Ending the album with this song is a good choice on their part because it leaves you with a taste of what they're capable of and makes you crave more. Overall, this is my favorite album of all time.

theoldwizard
    This album is awesome. One of my favorites.
    Tried this band but they sound like a lot of bands out there
    Most metalcore bands sounds the same, but these guys are much better than most metalcore bands. The guitar is great on this and their other albums.
    realdeal321
    This is an awesome band. no doubt that this is their best album. Sure it's not Oh Sleeper, are August Burns Red, but in my opinion, it's better than half the stuff from AILD. And for those of who who aren't into christian stuff, you are stereotyping. AILD is christian, August Burns Red is christian, and I bet you listen to them. War of Ages is no different, just because they proclaim their faith, doesn't mean they're a bad band. Its just the same as normal metalcore. In any case, this is the best album, by one of my top two favorite christian bands (Still Remains being the other), and yes, they are christian.
    fallnangel33
    BlaqkLabeL
    LOL@FALLNANGEL33!
    You correct someone elses spelling but can't seem to fix your own.
    Nirvanarien
    fallnangel33
    "LOL@FALLNANGEL33! definately one of my favorite hardcore/metalcore bands. They are from my home town and i do know those guys very well. Personally, i think they have there own sound than other hardcore band. The solo are amazing. But in all truth, quick fact, take away the distortion and its actually all classical on guitar with a heavy distortion (just something i think is cool). Also, if you like these guys, check out Jesus Wept. P.S. its Branon not Brandon You correct someone elses spelling but can't seem to fix your own." I was correcting a name of one of my friends. Most people dont spell his name right. Not trying to dis on him or anything. Also, I type fast and dont always spell things correct, blow me.
    The Tak
    Tried this band but they sound like a lot of bands out there
    Indeed.
    iAmMarkus
    fallnangel33 wrote: definately one of my favorite hardcore/metalcore bands. They are from my home town and i do know those guys very well. Personally, i think they have there own sound than other hardcore band. The solo are amazing. But in all truth, quick fact, take away the distortion and its actually all classical on guitar with a heavy distortion (just something i think is cool). Also, if you like these guys, check out Jesus Wept. P.S. its Branon not Brandon
    Yeah I caught that after I submitted it, sorry.
    dcjeanes
    Just discovered these guys recently. I'm more of a classic metal fan (early Bride, Saint, Vengeance Rising, Deliverance, Megadeth, Metallica, Testament, etc.), but these guys and Demon Hunter have enough of a variety in their intensity to grab my attention. I'm really digging what I'm hearing!
    bassboy92
    this is a very good cd i agree the bass lacks a bit in sound but its still good
    MotörHeadFan22
    The Tak wrote: Tried this band but they sound like a lot of bands out there Indeed.
    Yeah it's pretty sad how many bands sound like other bands these days :/
    ratracekid111
    crazysam23_Atax wrote: Christian Metal is NOT a genre. Is this Death Metal, what?
    naw, its like metalcore stuff
    Pretty_Much
    EpiExplorer wrote: Pretty_Much wrote: One of the best metalcore albums ever. Nu. Summon in Thunder
    Oh yea, Summon in Thunder is on that list too.
    EpiExplorer
    Nirvanarien wrote: War Of Ages:Arise Conquer, sounds like a bad computergame... Anyway i don't care for Christian Metal so this isn't really my thing.