Arise Conquer Review

9.3
 7.1
review (1) 18 comments vote for this album:
Arise Conquer Reviewed by: iAmMarkus, on december 21, 2009

Sound: This is by far the best War Of Ages album. You can really tell how the band as a whole are getting better. This album is full of intense guitar riffs, insanely fast double bass beats, and Leroy's signature scream. The only thing it lacks is some in your face bass lines. I can sit through this whole album without changing a song, it's that good. In fact, choosing a favorite song is like choosing a favorite child, you like them all equally. If you are a WOA fan, big or small, this album is a must-have. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics really flow with the music. I am a huge fan of Leroy's screaming and he uses it well. He does do a little bit of singing (not screaming) and he still keeps his composure making the album all the better. Still keeping the same theme of being a Christian band, he makes the lyrics not to over-powering to non-believers. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. All Consuming Fire: perfect song to start off the album. It starts with Leroy screaming "All consuming fire buuuuuurn!" and then works its way into some killer riffs, a crazy solo, and a hardcore breakdown. The drums in this song are beyond belief, constant double bass through-out the whole song, but not over-doing it. 02. When Faith Turns To Ashes: short and sweet. This song, in my opinion, is just a filler for the album. It's not the best, in fact it may be the worst song on the album, but don't be mistaken because the worst song on a perfect album is still an excellent song. 03. Through The Flames: if you like WOA or not, you like this song. This is a technical guitar filled song. It has a catchy chorus of Leroy singing, keeping the lyrics strong through-out the song. Probably one of my favorites on the album. 04. Salvation: starting off with an insane intro solo, Salvation is one of the best songs on this album. An obvious Christian song, Leroy talks about standing up and fighting for what you know is best and what is right. This is another completely filled with double bass, showing off Alex's amazing talents. 05. Sleep Of Prisoners: one more good-ass song. This song demonstrates Brandon and Steve's guitar skills. It's just another song with a, probably the best, solo on Arise & Conquer. 06. Wages Of Sin: this has to be one more of my favorites. This song has an As I Lay Dying feel to it, considering Tim Lambesis produced the album. Once again, showing off the guitarist's abilities, this song just draws you in, with powerful lyrics such as, "We've reached our destination yet we've failed you. Dragged through our consequences in our wake we fall." and, "Why have we used our pain as an excuse to fight so boldly? Here I am, use me in every moment I have left." He uses some soft vocals in it too proving he doesn't need to scream everything. 07. Yet Another Fallen Eve: from the start, this song catches your attention, beginning with a sweet guitar riff. The double bass is perfect with the song and really makes you want to play the drums or just go try to play. Then the end, which has a beautiful outro solo which displays, once again, how far their guitarists have come since the self-titled album War Of Ages. 08. Generational Curse: another short song, but it's a good one. He talks about seeking God and preparing him for "war". Although it is short, it is still filled with musical talents from the whole band. 09. The Awakening: this is a new and better remake of The Awakening off Fire From The Tomb. It's obvious too that this version is better making it sound less like they recorded it in their garage like off WOA. Another drum song, and I have to say, this one takes the cake. Probably my favorite song on the album (if I HAD to choose). 10. The Deception Of Strongholds: showing that they not only play heavily distorted songs, The Deception Of Strongholds starts off with a soft, clean intro slowly fading into a masterpiece of an intro solo. Ending the album with this song is a good choice on their part because it leaves you with a taste of what they're capable of and makes you crave more. Overall, this is my favorite album of all time. // 10

Comments