Return To Life review by War of Ages

• Released: Apr 24, 2012
War of Ages: Return To Life

War Of Ages has one of the most unique sounds in the metalcore scene today. Infuse just about any classic hardcore band, such as Agnostic Front and add in Mudvayne, and you pretty much get War Of Ages, but minus the whole Christianity thing. Vocals are pounding and inspirational. The emotion in them are not shy at all. Clean vocals are great too. Guitar leads are stomping in the mix, while the the speed of the drums get you pumped up to start moshing. At the end of the day, it's a great feeling to know that you're also listening to a band with such positivity all around.

War Of Ages has some of the best, most thoughtful, and well described lyrics in the metalcore scene today. These lyrics are showcased well in songs, such as "Silent Night": "As your world starts to crumble becoming your battleground Will you stay silent, where is your faith now? Over every wound, every scar that you earned Will you stand up and back away or face the flames?" Songs, such as "Fallen Idol," showcase their beliefs: "Bow down to the face over me Who is your god? I'm going to live free Taking flight right into my fantasy."

Overall impression a 10? You got that right. The effort this band brings to the table surpasses just about every average to exceptional band in its genre. The hardcore influence is clearly there, and the vocalist isn't afraid to say that. At the same time, they want you to know how strong they are with their religion and beliefs. Christianity topics in hardcore/metal still rock, and it's nice to see that a band such as War Of Ages is keeping it alive. No one should be turned off by it. Rock on, guys.

cemerson2012
    Sounds like a mash-up of Killswitch Engage and old Atreyu with better guitar playing. I liked the album, wouldnt give it that high a score but it was better than I expected.
    Skyvalve2012
    I felt like the review was a bit weak, but I loved that you showed this band. Heard a couple of their songs, and they're pretty much better than 99% of most new bands in today's scene.
    vppark2
    Not gonna lie, I kinda rushed this one. I just found out about them recently, so could be the reason why, since idk too much about them yet.
    ynnednnud
    Steve Brown is an absolutely fantastic metal guitarist. this album is downright amazing, probably my favorite disk of all time. been listening to it for a year now and still aint been able to wear it out.