Praises To The War Machine review by Warrel Dane

Warrel Dane: Praises To The War Machine

Warrel Dane of Nevermore fame has finally released his first solo studio album, titled Praises To The War Machine. Most people including myslef expected something similiar to Nevermore, and though there are times where the connection is visible this is very much Warrels own style. There are some fantastic songs such as the Paul Simon cover of Patterns and the like of Messenger (on which Nevermore lead guitarist Jeff Loomis plays guitar as a guest). He ends with the uber heaviness of Equilibrium which is packed with tasty riffs and strong vocals. There are obviously traces of Nevermore in this album but there is quite a variety of styles on this record such as classic thrash and even tinges of classical music. If you are a Nevermore fan, you will be extremely pleased with this record as I am. I am hoping he follows up on this record because I am thoroughly impressed with his ability as a solo artist.

His lyrical skills shine quite well in this album, more so on the song Brother. In which he speaks of his brother and how he never communicated with him. 'Brother you were never there for me, when my father died I thought you would take my hand you said I was just too young'. As for his vocal prowess, he has an absolutely fantastic voice with lots of depth and range and it is a pleasure to hear him sing.

I wouldn't call this a new Nevermore album. This is a different entity but an album that I am proud to add to my collection. Absolutely everything on this record appealed to me, the nice fast and clean guitar work, the well timed drummin which obviously is a must and Warrel's fantastic vocal work. I adore this album and don't have a bad word to say about it.

Pr0teZT
    The songwriting is incredible. You shouldn't buy this album for the immense jeff loomis like guitar solo's, but for the huge songwriting and the realy catchy, well-played riffs. Especially the riffs from 'The Day The Rats Went To War' and 'This Old Man' are genuis. Warrel's voice is good like always, although he doesn't go all that extreme on this record as with Nevermore, but most likely because the genre is totally different. Anyway, I really enjoyed this album!