King Of The Beach review by Wavves

• Released: Aug 3, 2010
Wavves: King Of The Beach

Nathan Williams is like that hip stoner everyone loved in class but couldn't hang out with outside of school because their lifestyle and methods were beyond extreme. Not that they were a menace to society but because their future was cloudy with a sense of creativity corporate leaders frown upon. Wavves' third studio album King Of The Beach is a book of various doodles that character seemed to have lost several years ago and happened to stumble across while tripping out in their bedroom.

The reason for such a description is because the release doesn't carelessly flirt with only one genre. King Of The Beach embraces its California heritage and instead of bathing in Sunny Delight-surfer stereotypes, it represents music that constructed the state. "When Will You Come" and "Baseball Cards" tie lo-fi doo-wop with Beach Boy undertones while "King Of The Beach" and "Super Soaker" drench you in punked-out verses skaters will devour all summer. The mix of fuzz and honesty swished around by producer Dennis Herring exemplifies frontman Williams obvious talent but also shines the streetlight on the late Jay Reatard's backing band that exemplify how much fun indie skate punk can be.

"My toes are marble stones sinking in the sand / I'm stuck in the sky / I'm never coming down" effortlessly croons Williams on the laid-back basement-thumper "Linus Spacehead". Such dazed poetry seems like it came from the pen of one Jeff Spicoli, but that's what separates Williams from your lead indie songwriters. Instead of touching complex stories that puzzle your brain for days, the musician pens tunes that appear to simply describe his daily travels ("Convertable Balloon", "Green Eyes"), making it easy to digest and relate to while tapping a foot or whistling. The carefree wail may fuel critics to bash the group and their troubled past, but the vocals work as they came out that way, taking a page right out of a certain 90s' group that unearthed in Seattle.

Upon first listen, King Of The Beach comes across as an amateur record that was plastered with rough demos. Upon a second listen (and maybe a few more), its clear: its one of the most original albums to come out in years. Instead of being constricted by what's popular and flowing through the output of radio stations, Wavves new combination of tracks does its own thing and doesn't really care if you like it or not. Call it bold, even "douche-y", but such tactics have helped the group give birth to a record that gives you what your ears need: something infectious.

vans1170
    and here's where the metalheads and pitchfork kids go their seperate ways
    na10tbolt
    I like this album. It isn't ground breaking, but it is refreshing and original.
    Savage Animal
    thought it was aight, but Real Estate, Ganglians, Best Coast, and Ducktails really nail the beach rock genre.. Wavves falls a little bit below them
    Mudrock
    illuminatiano wrote: a 9 ? really ? I'd give it a 7.5, it's meh for the most part.[/quote] My sentiments exactly.
    GREENWARRI0R
    Fun summertime album. That's pretty much it. Nothing spectacular but great for when you wanna have a good time. 7/10 for me.
    Husker90
    why is this just now getting reviewed? i've had this album, legally might I add, for a month and a half. on subject its an okay album. Theres a lot more catchy surfpop hooks in this one than their last two albums. of course, that might be because they didnt record King of The Beach through the microphone on a macbook. hit of the summer for me is probably The Suburbs though
    sashki
    It's catchy and fun, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. It didn't exactly blow my mind. Just sayin'.
    Led Lennon
    A 7.5 is awfully high for a "meh" album.. I enjoyed it, I'd give it a 7. Super Soaker is great.
    afterthewar
    RockGuitar92 wrote: I listened to it and I can honestly say it raped my ears and in a bad way.
    You have to listen to it a couple of times before it sounds good. I know I hated Wavves last album the first time I heard it, but eventually it all starts to make sense. Good review, I'll have to listen to it.
    monroeyoder
    Eh. I'd roll out a 5 for this one, just because I recently found something similar to it, but waaaaay better: www.myspace.com/peachengine