With Love And Squalor Review

We Are Scientists: With Love And Squalor
Release Date: Jan 10, 2006
Label: Virgin
Genres: Indie Rock
We Are Scientists come off well in being both snide and playful. Finding that balance is what makes With Love And Squalor a solid debut. With Love and Squalor places We Are Scientists in line for this year's Nobel Prize for punk-pop novelty.
 8.9
 8.8
With Love And Squalor Reviewed by: theindiekid, on january 12, 2006

Sound: Well I've let my friends listen to some of their songs and they describe the lead singer's voice as somewhat similar to the Killers. Some songs may sound like that but the lead singer, Keith Murray is very talented. The guitar riffs are good and suit every song perfectly. The bass lines are cool, and Chris Cain(bassist) does a great job of holding down the fort while the singer does some solo. But what really hooked me into this was the drums. The drummer's awesome he has some great beats. My favorite songs are: Great Escape, Nobody Move Nobody gets hurt, inaction, this scene is dead and its a hit. But they're a really great indie rock band with a bit of dance rock mixed in altough they have no synths or pianos just a drummer a bassist and a lead singer/guitarist. I saw them live when I bought the cd and they have a lot of energy. Their really addicting to listen to, atleast in my opinon they are. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty straight forward. The lyrics really match the music, they have great timing. The singer has a nice vocal range. But the singer may sound the same on some songs so I think i'll give him a 9 // 9

Overall Impression: Well their older stuff was great, but this is better. I wanna see them live again. As I said before my favorite songs are My favorite songs are: Great Escape, Nobody Move Nobody gets hurt, inaction, this scene is dead and its a hit, but all of the songs are awesome. Only thing I dont like about the album is that it's a bit short. Most albums nowadays are around 45+ marks. But listening to this band with a great addicting sound leaves you wanting more. If someone stole it, I'd congratulate them on having good taste, but I'd beat them to near dead, because my album is signed by all the band members the day it was released so it's of some sentimental value. I highly recommend this album if you want some indie, or listen to some of their EPs. // 10

With Love And Squalor Reviewed by: ooberuno, on december 27, 2006

Sound: We Are Scientists provides some talented music with their three band members. As an independant rock group, they have not fallen into the pitfalls of compromising their music talents for sales or popularity as of yet. Their primary style is rock with some fast-paced playing and plugged-in instruments. They have some pretty nice riffs in some of their songs and great solo parts. One of my particular favorites is Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt. This song is exciting from the start until the finish, perfect for staying awake in class or just enjoying the music by oneself. I recommend this band for all people who like a moderate blend of great guitar playing without going overboard on solos. As the band has been quoted, they make "rock music of the thoughtful, sometimes epic, often loud, vaguely danceable, implicitly humanist variety." // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very reminiscent of the band's attitude and personality. They have a very non-chalant attitude that many will find humorous if anyone has seen either the commercials or live concerts. The lead vocals of the band, Keith Murray, harmonize with the instruments very well. His voice is able to blend due to his having a moderate pitch range, giving the song certain moods depending on the guitar riffs and drum playing goes. For example, in the song Can't Lose, Keith is able to make a vigilant listener feel as if he is in a party that has begun to lose it's life. Many of the songs in this CD remind me of college life. Songs such as This Scene Is Dead and Can't Lose share some familiarity with going to parties on the weekend and trying to meet someone of the opposite gender. I think that this album is targeted towards the age range after the teens into the thirties. For that reason, many of the songs would seem popular for those just entering or still at college. // 7

Overall Impression: I find this album is definitely innovative and has a character different from many other bands. Personally, I like this type of music and the band produces a song I haven't heard in too many other popular bands. The best songs in this album would have to be Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt, Cash Cow, and Worth The Wait. These songs are all examples of how well the band can blend their playing to lead vocal Keith Murray's voice. Though this is the only major album they've produced as of now, I would definitely get their next one when it comes out. The only negatives I have for this CD is that some of the songs are not particularly wowing, though the playing is phenomenal, I feel that the lyrics could be better. // 9

Comments