Tear The World Down review by We Are the Fallen

• Released: May 11, 2010
We Are the Fallen: Tear The World Down

Of course We Are the Fallen sounds like Evanescence. That's because primary songwriter and guitarist Ben Moody is one of WATF's principals. But We Are the Fallen isn't the ex-members of Evanescence and there are three, if you've got a scorecard- trying to recreate their past success without Amy Lee. Tear the World Down is edgier and less neo-goth and nowhere near as ethereal (translation: chilly) as Evanescence. We Are the Fallen rock way harder than Evanescence ever did. So enough with the big "E" references. "Bury Me Alive" will sink its hook into the fleshiest underbelly of your mind and it's epic outro has a horror movie ominousness that will have you looking over your shoulder. "Without You" is swept away by keys and tension and release. "Sleep Well My Angel" is one of the prettiest things we've heard, thanks to its tenderness, which never overarches or misses its mark.

Smithson is the centerpiece of Tear the World Down, and girl can sing. Sure, she boasts a dark mane and ice blue eyes and could be a younger sister of Amy Lee, but got a set of pipes that she can proudly call her own. It makes you wonder if Simon Cowell is kicking himself for letting this one get away without the Idol crown. It's painfully clear that Smithson is most comfortable belting out rock songs. Female-fronted rock music is always a hard sell, but Smith's capabilities, coupled with Moody's, well, moody riffery, are a winning combination. Smithson soars to new heights, vocally speaking, without ever resorting to melodrama. She's Everywoman with her lyrics, yet never alienates a male demographic or audience. Her lyrical approaches are perfectly and deftly hermaphroditic; she appeals to men and women equally and that's certainly no small task and quite the tall order. Her voice is not exactly warm, but it does invite you take a closer look.

We Are the Fallen are not your average radio rock band. They write hooky songs, with catchy choruses but they make sure to think outside of the box with interesting arrangements and Smithson is the showpiece but she has substance. The songs are so tightly constructed that Smithson never seems like a hired gun or the final piece of the puzzle inserted after all the legwork was done. Even if it wasn't the case, Tear the World Down presents itself as a collaborative effort and Smithson and Moody have impenetrable chemistry. This was a scenario that could have gone either way and it traveled north. There's no ceiling for what We Are the Fallen can, and most likely will, do.

JesusLives
    I think the person who mixes them forgot to mix in the bass guitar. It sounds so weak.
    Metallicam
    wmatica wrote: CalebJThompson wrote: These guys are terrible live. Every song sounded the exact same and they had their shit turned up so loud that everything washed everything else out. I don't know dude, I thought they were quite good when I saw them a few days ago.
    Agreed. They sounded great when I saw them a few weeks ago. And it was in a trashy Calgary club and it still sounded good. Did a great cover of Like A Prayer.
    Musician4Life~~
    Okay, yeah, they're good... About all the comments that say "Amy sucks at writing songs" She has said that she doesnt want two of her albums to sound the same.. Moody did this on purpose and I really dont think it was necessary . Evanescence IS back and I'm definitely buying their third album. Whether it's the same members in the band or not, they are back. And they still rock.
    thepete007
    FYI Amy Lee was involved in writing alot of the songs on Fallen, so get your facts straight. Fallen was good becuase of the Ben and Amy. We are the Fallen has nothing on EV's first album, because you can't replace Amy. Amy is a good song writer, see the Open Door. Yes its different from Fallen, but just as good in my book. Sweet Sacrifice, Weight of the World, Lithium ,Call me when your Sober are amazing songs. Plus her vocals are unique. She aint some american idol pop diva. Its cringeworthy listening to Carly sing Bring Me to Life and Bury Me Alive has nothing on Bring me to life either. Bring on Evanescene's 3rd album.
    MrFlibble
    wmatica wrote: I think the answer to pretty much all your questions it this: We Are The Fallen is Bed Moody's band, just like Evanescence used to be. It was his band, he wrote like all of Fallen and then he left because apparently Amy Lee is hard to work with. If you notice, after Moody left, the second Evanescence album wasn't NEARLY as good as the first, why? Moody didn't write it. I think he formed this band and named it We Are The Fallen for a reason, sort of a lamentation for the fact that Evanescence is no longer his own. At least he has most of the original members to hang out with now though. But still, how I look at it, wherever Moody goes, so does pretty much the same band, just under a deferent name.
    Almost correct: Fallen came from Ben and David Hodges, not just Ben. But as it so happens, David is in the credits for this album too, so there you go. I don't get how anyone can get in a huff about Tear The World Down sounding like Ev did before they sucked. Just look at it: Fallen and the earlier releases were great, Ben and David bugger off, Open Door sucks. Go figure where the talent was. Ben's also worked on hugely successful songs with a bunch of other people too; the guy knows what he's doing. It shouldn't be much surprise that even some of the most hardcore, long-time Ev fans are pronouncing Evanescence dead and are very happily jumping ship to the WATF boat. Hell, I was listening to Ev before they were famous and right as I'm writing this I'm wearing a WATF t-shirt; I threw all my Ev shirts out years ago. I'll add this in too: very few people complained when Tarja was kicked out of Nightwish and released a Nightwish-sound-a-like album. Very few people have complained about Within Temptation milking the female/male vocal mix on singles that was popularised by Evanescence. Nobody cares about Lacuna Coil losing nearly all of the gothic influence that made them popular to begin with. Tristnia are an entirely different band now to when they started and nobody thinks twice about it. So why bitch about the WATF sounding a bit like Evanscence and "oh no, a guy who is known for making dark-toned rock with female singers has made a dark-toned album with a female singer!" And yeah, facepalming at the review here. I gave up at "[f]emale-fronted rock music is always a hard sell" because anyone who spends five minutes around this kind of music knows that female-lead bands absolutely dominate the style and have done for a solid couple of decades.
    DarkBlueIce
    Fallen>Tear The World Down>The Open door I enjoyed the cd...not as great as fallen...but its still worth the listen.
    jtalep
    And I'm sorry to double post but...the vocalist is extremely similar to Amy (not quite got that edge Amy has though), you would of thought they wanted to get away from that sound, or they're always going to have the name of Evanescence above them
    EpiExplorer
    Yeah, more teenie goth pop. Oh wait, thats not a good thing.. Oh well, its okay as it is, but still numbingly simple. And I'm pretty sure that its going to shoot to the top at some point.
    jtalep
    At the end of the day Ben Moody and Amy Lee need to get back together making musical babies, because they're better together than they are apart. The sooner they realise this the better.
    HoneyofRuin
    Yeah... I just listened to this and every damn song sounds exactly the same. What the ****? Where's the originality? The creativity? This band's song writing fails miserably. This review cannot be trusted because this band simply doesn't deliver.
    SuperSlonik
    I saw them live about a month ago. They were alright, but their sound guy was an idiot, he just cranked all the levels up so it was almost impossible to listen too.
    wmatica
    wmatica
    Kalyth wrote: Hmm... the "Big E" references are so many that you can't miss the confrontation between the 2 bands. All right, Bury me Alive is the most Evanescence-like song of the whole album and I think that having this one as the first single was not a coincidence. The We are the Fallen bandname is a bit pretentious and point directly to Evanescence, as their debut album was called "Fallen", so this seems to say "We are the guys who recorded the first Evanescence disc but with a new singer". Smithson looks like Amy Lee younger sister, and she sometimes uses her voice in the same way. So definitely you cannot NOT COMPARE them to Evanescence. Of course Ben Moody's presence is clear, and this sonds better than The Open Door, but not as powerfurl or tormented as Fallen, even if there are a bunch of cool songs.
    MutilationOfMan
    me and my girlfriend was talking about this the other day. i couldnt hardly tell the difference in amy lee or this girl. (maybe becuz i dont listen often) but what i did hear sounds the same like they are trying to recreate what they had. its ok i guess not very orginal though
    CalebJThompson
    Kalyth
    HollyTFN
    Where are all these "The Open Door sucked!" comments coming from? Did you even listen to the album thoroughly? The Open Door songs, I found were more creative. And why? Because Amy Lee wrote it. Not Ben - he was the less creative one, he said so himself. Please, enlighten me - how does it suck? The lyrics? The guitar? It was heavier and more intricate than Fallen. Or are you commenters just one-track on mainstream and don't appreciate other music?