We Are The Ocean Review

8.3
 7.6
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
We Are The Ocean Reviewed by: SmAs, on january 11, 2011

Sound: I first came across We Are The Ocean with a friend telling me to check out their self-titled debut EP, with catchy (albeit heavier songs) such as "Nothing Good Has Happened Yet" and "Save Me! Said The Saviour" having their place on the tracklist, I was hooked instantaneously. A combination not too distant from bands such as A Day To Remember, fusing clean melodic vocals with traditional typical hardcore screams, whilst again combining chugging heavily palm-muted riffs with melodic lead guitar, We Are The Ocean have derived their sound - Granted, not entirely unique or innovative, but they do it damn well. The lead vocals come from the rhythm guitarist, Liam Cromby, who upon multiple times have I heard his vocals (and We Are The Ocean's) sound compared to Alexisonfire (I can't comment on this however as I haven't really listened to them). Screams/Distorted vocals come from a second singer, Dan Brown, the two pair off well often over lapping both clean and scream to generate heavy, melodic hardcore passages that are easily We Are The Oceans strongest attribute. In no short supply however, are continuous bombaring drum beats and relatively complex lead guitar riffs throughout the duration of most tracks on the EP. Overall, giving WATO an amazingly catchy sound, especially to say this is their first EP. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, the verses put together are similar to most bands of the post-hardcore genre, erring on the side of standard "emo" influenced melodic passages with screams to back them. In no way however do WATO come across as manic depressives, quite the opposite with the track "(I Have Never Felt This) God Damn Good" with lyrics such as, "When I'm with you, I feel so alive, when I'm with my love I can't hide, I have never felt this God damn good..", each song combines screams and melodic vocals to a Tee, guaranteed that the most who listen to the EP, will be walking away with We Are The Oceans songs stuck firmly in their heads for days to come. Skill wise? Liam Cromby has a fantastic voice, to say the least. Pairing up with Dan Brown however, adds a whole new dimension to the bands sound, and in my opinion, is what makes We Are The Ocean more unique, granted many may not agree with my opinion, but from a UK based band, this is by far one of the most impressive musical attempts to be put forward into the well-deserved spotlight for a long time. // 8

Overall Impression: Hailing from the UK, greatest relatively new bands generated from the post-hardcore music scene. The combination of Clean and Screaming infused vocals from two distinct, well practiced musicians, compiled with the solid playing ability of the rest of the band, We Are The Ocean are set to make a presidence in the years to come and with it, are definatly a band not to be ignored and missed. My only downside to this EP? 7 Tracks just isnt enough for me ;D [Tracks to Check Out] Nothing Good Has Happened Yet Save Me! Said The Saviour Don't Be Careless Welcome To My Broken Home [Full Length Album] Cutting Our Teeth (2010) (Hassle) // 9

Comments