Der Tag An Dem Die Welt Unterging review by We Butter The Bread With Butter

• Released: May 14, 2010
We Butter The Bread With Butter: Der Tag An Dem Die Welt Unterging

Anyone who has heard about this bands first album will have certain expectations of Der Tag an dem die Welt unterging. However be rest assure that most of your assumptions are wrong. This Album is not, as the first, a collection of silly Deathcore nursery rhymes mixed with a strong dose of Electronica and Satire. While there are silly moments they take a back seat to the driving force that is the music. The album opens with a subdued clean guitar overlaying some subdued synth sequences and soft pad washes, slowly building the guitar is replaced by another synth, a filter sweep brings in some distorted guitar and the whole thing explodes with a ferocity akin to the Bands Deathcore heritage. The sound is reminiscent of the bands debut, a strange mix of Dimmu like alternate picking and constant double bass, mixed with the pedal note sensibilities of Metalcore music. However here the riffs are full sounding and at times give the feel that you're standing on top of a mounting raining hell on those bellow you; the production on this album has defiantly been stepped up. I guess it's time I talk about the synths. Surprisingly, even on a second, and a third and so on, they don't become gimmicky. WBTBWB don't fall into the same trap that others do. Where it becomes obvious that a track was written and then synth was added over the top, but here the synth feels as if it was taken into account from the beginning of the writing process. Fitting in perfectly to the sound without being over used. Overall the sound is unique in some ways but not in others. The addition of synthesizers breaths fresh air into a dying and unpopular genre, but it doesn't completely revolutionise it. As well as this, at 15 tracks some songs start to sound similar and run into each other, this isn't so much of a problem if you enjoy the style of music however, but does dissuade constant listening after a while.

The lyrics are mostly in German, apart from a verse in Der kleine Vampir (The Small Vampire) which is in English. However knowing the band, they are still rather silly at times (especially Der kleine Vampir). Though the zazz is not as over the top as it was in Das Monster Auf Dem Schrank, for example, the chorus of the title track: Der Tag An Dem Die Welt Unterging und Alles Leben Am Seidenen Faden Hing. Translates roughly to: The day the Earth went down. And all life that hung by a thread. This is talking about the apocalypse, so, not to silly there, but then there is Der kleine Vampir: Hey Boys, Hey Girls! We wanna see you dance. Move your Body, shake your Body, Come on! Ich kann nicht tanzen, mann was will sie von mir? Ich geh nach Haus und trinke Blut, Ich bin der kleine Vampir! This is basically about a Party going Vampire... The balance in themes are refreshing. It's nice to hear a band having fun instead of being dark and gloomy all the time. At the same time however unless you're a native speaker you won't be paying much attention to the lyrics anyway. So I'm going to go with an Average score. The lyrics are nothing special, but they're not terrible either.

It's a definite improvement over the first album, which was mostly enjoyable because of it's sillyness, here however the music stands on it's own. The title track is perhaps the most consistent, but when listening to the album some parts really stick out and make you want to fight with invisible ninjas. This album is not for every one, it can get a little representative and the whole concept of Synths and Deathcore might make some elitist vomit in complete repulsion. However if you like fun music which isn't always meant to be taken seriously, then I'm sure you'll love this.

TheAbsentOne
    I've heard this band a lot because of my friend Cameron.. I just don't see the appeal to it. Personally, not my style. Their name gives me a giggle though. *hehe*
    InMidSight
    Maybe you should try looking at it from a positive perspective? I like just about all music, I don't go for country. I think their ability to blend techno and hardcore is amazing, they make if flow well. They are extremely heavy but still good. This new album portrays the guitarists skills way more. Why argue about the name, that's so lame! I don't know how anyone could compare them to Brokencyde EpiExplorer, you must be high or really stupid. They have some sick skill, if you don't apprechiate music then I guess you can't understand that.
    Azbangaz
    the bands initial intention is not to be taken seriously, so why the **** try to. and stop bagging the name I like It because they aren't some generic faggots. At least they are trying to do something new with a worn out genre and personally they are doing welPr
    a_n00berthon
    EpiExplorer wrote: Along with Slice the Cake (christ..) this has to be the worst excuse for a band name ever. And the music is more annoying than brokencyde, how can anyone like this..
    You must have a shit taste of music then if you're gonna judge STC as bad band just because of their name. If you haven't heard, they named the band to make fun of bands with 'verb' The 'noun' names. And quite frankly, I think its more appealing than 'Dying Fetus' and 'Rape The Pig-Slaughter The Mother'.
    axelboy666
    this band is lame, all of the songs start with some gay ass synth, breakdown, riff, breakdown, synth, sweep, breakdown, end. what the **** is breekachu?
    Nirvanarien
    travislausch wrote: Hating a band for its name makes you people SO cool.
    I checked out some songs and i still hated them. You do realise that it is possible to hate a band with a stupid name for their music aswell?
    liqwidsnake
    vinnie-watt5 wrote: Dont hate the band. I gotta admit its not something thats easy to take serious. But they still make good music. They are awesome when your stoned too. maybe its because all you people are sobers.
    haha straight man, i heard abt this band abt 2 years ago but never bothered to really listen to it. then abt 4 months ago i was in the mood for some random music so i whipped this out with a fat spliff and listened to the whole album, made my friends listen to. we all fell in love
    liqwidsnake
    www.myspace.com/csitmp i like we butter the bread with butter. i enjoyed the first album more thow but this one is refreshing, its preduction is great but i miss the way they did the breakdowns in the first album. other then that its still a great album and it finds a place right in my car next to the old one. the above link is a song i wrote that was inspired by the creativness of these german mofo's. if u like this band or just wana hear something new take a listen and post a comment if you dont mind
    TheAbsentOne
    travislausch wrote: Hating a band for its name makes you people SO cool.
    Read past the cover, man.. I put these guys aside many times just because the name is so ridiculous. But, I still went and sat down, and listened to their entire first album. I disliked, yeah I'll admit. But I also went and listened to this entire album. Much better. Don't just a book by it's cover. Incredibly stupid statement that just happens to yield loads of truth.
    Disturbdkornkid
    EpiExplorer wrote: Along with Slice the Cake (christ..) this has to be the worst excuse for a band name ever. And the music is more annoying than brokencyde , how can anyone like this..
    Is that even physically possible?
    TheAbsentOne
    I just went and gave nearly every song a listen.. Drastic improvment to the other album I've heard. Vocals are MUCH better. I really think they could have crazy potential if their vocalist didn't sound like a puking cat when he screams. Or screechs. Whatever you wanna call it. Music is pretty tight mostly. Random keyboard/synth breakdowns though.. *shrug* whatever
    EpiExplorer
    Yeah, cuz we have jobs.
    vinnie-watt5
    HxG
    "Der kleine Vampir" is a tribute to a german tv show with the same name
    strat07
    I love that band. It's really refreshing. They sound dark and heavy but still containing the melodic edge. Maaaan, i love the breakdown in the last song - Das Ende
    Nirvanarien
    [quote]the whole concept of Synths and Deathcore might make some elitist vomit in complete repulsion./quote] When seperated they already make me vomit... And i'm not even an elitist.
    duncang
    This band is obscenely good fun. Was looking forward to seeing them in the summer but that ain't happening
    EpiExplorer