Smile Kid review by We the Kings

• Released: Dec 8, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
We the Kings: Smile Kid

I was really looking forward to them having a new album out. They have been one of my favorite bands since I heard their self-titled debut. I went and bought this album as soon as it came out hoping that it would be as good if not better then their last album. This album isn't anywhere near as good as their last album. The guitars aren't as catchy and just sound like your typical pop band that use the same 4 power chords in every song. There are a couple that sound good like Heaven Can Wait, but it just isn't very good. I still the the sound of Travis Clark's voice, but that is about the only really good thing.

The lyrics on this album are not very deep or go together very well. Most of them don't really have that big of a meaning behind them. The vocals go along really well with the sound of the guitars, but they need some good lyrics to go along with that. Heavven Can Wait and Summer Love are pretty much the only songs that have a decent meaning behind them. If they could get some good lyrics to go along with Travis' amazing voice, then this album would come close to being as good as thier debut.

Honsetly. This is not a great album. I was hoping for another great album from 2009 to come out. When The Red Jumpsuit came out with their follow up to Don't You Fake It this February, I thought maybe We The Kings could do the same. I was wrong. Hopefully they can do something better with their next album. If this album was lost or stolen, I wouldn't really try that hard to get it back. It wouldn't really be worth the trouble.

illdef101
    It doesn't sound like he's hating on them. He's just saying this new album sucks compared to there last one. I personally can't stand them, but I see where he is coming from.
    McTWITCHIN
    MotörHeadFan22
    MikeShawMe
    I agree, lol. You may not like Dave Mustaine, but he can play some hella hard stuff on the guitar while singing... It's like having two brains... A lot harder than playing the power chords and simple rhythms that red haired guy is playing. Sorry but it's fah troo.
    multipleofone
    MotrHeadFan22 wrote: McTWITCHIN wrote: i'm not too sure what you expect. the lead bloke has red hair!! look at bloodnut dave mustaine. he can't sing or play guitar either lol Dave Mustaine not being able to play guitar? really...? You comparing them to Dave Mustaine? .__. your just a sad and pitiful person aren't you?
    skip to 5:20
    RJA_7
    louisclassic wrote: hate much ??
    No, it's not hate... notice how i said they are one of my favorite bands, it's just this isn't good compared to their last album.
    McTWITCHIN
    settle petal, just the metallica fan coming out in me. i know he can play better then i ever will. EVER. just don't like him or this "power pop" crapness. just lettin any Megadeth fans know, i don't hate you i respect you. metal is the only music cheers
    untimelyendings
    uhm theres a thing called growth and maturity and expanding their musical horizons? happened in the second album much? zing.
    machinehead666
    untimelyendings wrote: uhm theres a thing called growth and maturity and expanding their musical horizons? happened in the second album much? No that didn't happen in their new album at all. Their lyrics are childish so no they didn't mature. ZING! zing.
    Spiffy412
    this was definetly not as good as there last album. i think there style changed alot and i dont like it much, i like the punk we the kings more than the alternative we the kings