Sunshine State Of Mind review by We the Kings

• Released: Jul 5, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
We the Kings: Sunshine State Of Mind

First off, I want to say that skill of every one in the band is amazing. I don't understand why some of the songs they make are lackluster and boring. They always have some really cool bridges though. They have done some Interesting things in the studio with new instruments like the strings used on "Friday Is Forever" and on "You And Only You". The overall mood of the album is upbeat and happy... However there are a couple slower songs however such as "The View From Here" and "You And Only You". "Kiss Me Last" was quite a pleasant surprise to hear. It's by far the heaviest song on the album and a bit of a throwback to their first album.

Ok, so the lyrics on this album are not deep at all, but some songs like "Sleep With Me" are pretty corny and hard to listen to. Also, like a typical pop punk band, every single song on the album is more or less about a girl or love etc. And not much depth past that. Travis is a great singer so this may not hinder you at all.

It's pretty clear the album is geared toward the 10 to 17 year old girls that support them. As the name of the album suggests, this would be a great summer album to listen to. Still Not their most impressive work but there are some good songs on this album. Listen to it on Spotify at least if you are a fan of the band so you can at least get updated with their newest music. Highlights of the Album 1. "Friday Is Forever" 2. "Say You Like Me" 3. "The Secret To New York" 4. "Kiss Me Last" - Listen to this song especially if you are a fan of their first album Now for my extra two cents. Go see them live, they are great, full of energy and really love the crowd. They don't mind getting out there and meeting the fans.