Heavy Weather Review

Weather Report: Heavy Weather
Release Date: 1977
Label: Columbia/Legacy
Genres: Fusion
Released just as the jazz-rock movement began to run out of steam, this landmark album proved that there was plenty of creative life left in the idiom.
 9.2
 8.7
 9.6
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Heavy Weather Reviewed by: bass1991guitar, on april 24, 2008

Sound: For a late 70's album, this release by fusion band 'Weather Report' is easily one of if not the best of it's time. If you want to hear the best bass tones, listen here, if you want great guitar tones, listen here. Listening to this is like a 30 minute masterclass. True musicianship on every part. The overall sound of the band however on tracks such as 'Teen Town' do fall into the cliche '70s sound but this is fusion dude, you expect that sort of thing. The quality of the playing is remarkable as can be heard on the opening track 'Birdland'. // 10

Lyrics: There is very little vocal work on here with the exception of 'Rumba Mama'. Apparently the song 'A Remark You Made' was based on a poem. Just by that you can see the band's thinking. They are obviously trying to make music as powerful as words, no easy task but I've never heard it done so well by anyone later than them. This is a good exercise if you are in a creative mood! // 9

Overall Impression: So, what to mark it down on? Well, my initial issue with it is that it is far too short. Just under forty minutes, I have to play it over again. It's the sort of thing you can listen to anywhere at anytime but totalling something like 37 minutes isn't what I think of an album as! Also, I feel that the group have used a little too many electronic instruments like keyboards and can I hear the odd bit of sequencing? Overall, any bassist wanting to get into 'Jaco' will fall in love with his talent after hearing this. The bass work is exceptional. Here is an overview of the eight tracks: 01. Birdland - easily the best on the album. Wonderful instrument tones as well as nice flowing melodies following the chords. 02. A Remark You Made - again, absolutely genius. Great Sax work the sounds a lot like Michael Brecker. 03. Teen Town - the second shortest on the album. The bass work is out of this world. The 'rock-iest' on the album also. 04. Harlequin - more lovely bass work. Slides and sparse phrasing add to the atmosphere of the piece. The use of dynamics is mind blowing! 05. Rumba Mama - this appears to be a live performance, sporting fantastic drum work and Southern American vocals. 06. Palladium - like 'Teen Town', there is a lot of keyboard work happening with a rocky edge. They seem to pull it off however. 07. The Juggler - an interesting piece. Providing you look at it from a musicians point of view, this is a goldmine of information for all players. 08. Havona - what a closer! Gotta be the drummers favourite! A little 'space-agey' but again I can't fault the bass work from Mr. Pastorius. // 7

Comments