Hurley review by Weezer

• Released: Sep 13, 2010
Weezer: Hurley

For many who reveled in the pop-rock perfection that was the Weezer's debut ("The Blue Album"), the last few years could give one pause. The quartet's previous release "Raditude" seemed to be an awkward stage for a band whose members were approaching their 40's. Granted, that record was met with some positive feedback, but tracks like "I'm Your Daddy" bounced too frequently between lovable quirkiness and forced, uninspired coolness. It seems that in 2010 that vocalist/guitarist Rivers Cuomo and the gang have finally come full circle. The nerdy innocence and infectious pop melodies have returned with a beautiful vengeance on the latest record "Hurley," making Weezer a completely viable band for more than a few generations.

In many ways "Hurley" (an album that lovingly features the visage of "LOST" actor Jorge Garcia) strips everything down. You get a garage rock type of vibe happening throughout most of the record, with only added instrumentation during appropriate moments. While a past song like "Beverly Hills" certainly felt as modern as you can get, the 10 tracks on Hurley concentrate on little more than the power of the standard band setup. "Memories," "Smart Girls," and "Ruling Me" are straightforward pop songs, but insanely likable particularly "Memories," which could be deemed "Buddy Holly 2.0."

That's not to say that "Hurley" is devoid of musical creativity. The band utilizes a churchlike setup in the intro for "Trainwrecks," which transitions from a solemn choral background into your basic rock tune fairly quickly. "Where's My Sex," an instantly memorable track for the title alone, actually changes up the primary melody in one of the center sections. It's enough to make you sit up and listen a little more intently. The most satisfying and unexpected offering arrives with "Unspoken" an acoustic ballad that builds and builds into a crescendo and actually features Cuomo sounding like about three or four different guys in one.

Thankfully the "I'm Your Daddy" days are gone and Weezer has returned to a more innocent, geek-fueled approach to their lyrical content. Whether it's a sweet love song in "Ruling Me," an ode to cerebral-driven females of the world in "Smart Girls," or the inspirational "Brave New World," Weezer doesn't waste opportunities to be insightful or clever. The standout has to be "Where's My Sex," of course, which reflects on a universal conundrum for the ages.

If you've felt that Weezer has been in a bit of a slump post-"Pinkerton," you're in for a pleasant surprise with "Hurley." There's a purity to the recording process that allows for the bare basics (i.e., guitar, bass, drums, and vocals) to come through without feeling like this is a band that could afford the best producer and audio tricks in the world. Sure, you have guests like Michael Cera show up to sing backup vocals and play the hurdy gurdy on "Hang On," but the spotlight is still on the usual quartet. Some may argue whether it lives up to the impression originally made by Weezer ("The Blue Album"), but this is one reviewer who believes that Hurley lives up to that hype and more.

Dakkstar
    spyder52 wrote: 10/10 what.... only albums like Back in Black should get this!
    mcshane90
    Dynamo11 wrote: hmmmmm
    DirkLance
    dinley wrote: Is it guitar driven though like Maladroit? Are there lots of sweet solos?
    No, and to my knowledge, there only seemed to be one solo on the album in the song "Smart Girls," and imo it was not that sweet. This review is appalling and I'm wondering why I look at the date on my computer and see the date is 9/14 when it should be April 1st for something this biased and campy to be released as an offical review. I'm just waiting for UG to be like, "Just kidding!" I love the Blue Album and Pinkerton, and would love to feel that Weezer was making that kind of music again, but let's get it straight: THEY AREN'T. This is not a return to form that all the fan boys want, and overall, this is not even a good album. They should not be compared. And I know I sound like a fanboy, but I like albums that many Weezer fans deplore, mostly speaking of Make Believe. And the songs that I actually like from Hurley remind me of Make Belive, but NOTHING on this album reminds me of Blue, nor Pinkerton. These lyrics are still primitive and forced, and remind me of Raditude. How can anyone trash Raditude and then have the nerve to say that Hurley is a return to form!? Songs like "Ruling Me" and "Trainwrecks" are MUSICALLY good; they are ruined by the horrible lyrics. Even the vocal melody might be great. It's the content that sucks. And I even liked "I'm Your Daddy"...I don't understand how someone can trash that song and then build an altar to these songs. The best songs on this album have Rivers singing more seriously (a la Maladroit or Make Believe) instead of sounding like a 7th grader writing poetry. And I absolutely love Weezer's quirky songs like "Buddy Holly" and "El Scorcho"...I just don't think the songs on Hurley have that same essence. They aren't that great. "Unspoken," "Hold On," and "Run Away" are the star tracks here, imo. Everything else seems to be lacking in some area. Definitely not deserving of a 10/10 on a reputable site where we expect content to be honest, or at least unbiased. So now that the clothing company Hurley sponsored the Weezer album, how much are they paying UG to tell people this album is great? Because that's the only excuse I can find for this review; it's corporate, sell out mish-mash.
    EpiExplorer
    Msu_Man04 wrote: ticklemeemo wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: ticklemeemo wrote: WHAT THE FUCK? BtBAM's Colors album didn't even get a 10? Thats cuz its TERRIBLE. Mastadon meets Dream Theater = Not good.. That would be your opinion. The truth is, even if you don't like the music, there is no filler and the production is perfect. It is a totally original work and masterfully executed. All of that constitutes a perfect album. Honestly I don't get why you're arguing with me at all, I only meant that this album is definitely not a 10. You say that, but that too is an opinion. So... You're just a hyprocrite. guy 1: "BTBAM SUCKS!" you: "THAT'S YOUR OPINION! THE FACT IS, IT'S AWESOME! BUT THIS ALBUM SUCKS!" Wow.
    Your point being? Hypocrisy made you. Dont hate human nature. BE FREEE AND SEXY.
    Msu_Man04
    Killzark
    This is probably their worst album. They need to go back to the good old days of the Blue Album.
    Captain Cool
    Run Away and Hold On are two of the best songs Weezer have released in a long long long time.
    Nyhm
    ReasonableRam wrote: Hurley (Jorge Garcia) funded this weezer album. The actor is friends with the band and dished out a bunch of money for them and they named it after his Lost character as something of a thanks.
    You are not very reasonable, ReasonableRam
    jannick
    mcshane90 wrote: Dynamo11 wrote: hmmmmm Seref wrote: Dakkstar wrote: spyder52 wrote: 10/10 what.... only albums like Back in Black should get this!AC/DC? Nah, nothing they released is 10/10 worthy, perhaps 6.5/10 at best. Sorry just my opinion. You can't refute someone elses opinion saying that AC/DC is only ever 6.5/10 and then say that it's only your opinion. That's hypocritical. really??? AC/DC? have you even listened to Blue Album and Pinkerton? Those albums are better than anything ac/dc ever released. compared to those albums back in black blows harder than a catholic priest in a boys locker room
    dude... talk about ignorance
    AdenZerda
    Ultimate Guitar: Where a 7 is terrible, an 8 is so-so, 9 is decent, and 10 is anything else.
    The Two
    darkais776
    ...10/10.... thats when you can tell that a ****in fanboy did the review for a WEEZER album
    Seref
    thejester
    hey ya'll just wanted to let you know if you dont physically need the album amazon is doing a discount on it today only. just downloaded mine, still not a fan but it was only 4.99. just type in 'PICKDEAL' anyways enjoy. nice review but def not a 10/10 for me, about 5/10. love the weez cant wait for the tour!!
    ReasonableRam
    Vacuity
    EpiExplorer wrote: Dakkstar wrote: spyder52 wrote: 10/10 what.... only albums like Back in Black should get this! AC/DC? Nah, nothing they released is 10/10 worthy, perhaps 6.5/10 at best. Sorry just my opinion. You've missed the entire point: 'influence', 'inspiration', 'all modern rock music as we know it' and 'damn good tunes'. We would not have these things if it weren't for AC/DC.
    i lol'd
    darkais776
    SkodaATOM
    ++++1
    thompson197
    spyder52 wrote: 10/10 what.... only albums like Back in Black should get this!
    Lol. AC/DC.
    DontPushMongo
    Msu_Man04 wrote: The Two wrote: If Colors by BTBAM couldn't get a 10/10 then nothing ever released by any band ever should be able to get a 10/10. Don't get me wrong I like Weezer but not that much. Too many closed-minded idiots who are butthurt that their favorite band's album, apparently BTBAM is a common choice, didn't get a 10/10. Jesus Christ, lighten up.
    I see what you're saying here, but I would agree with the first guy that Colors is a very good album. My opinion would be that its better than this, if anyone cares (which I doubt). OT, I would agree that this album is a step up from the last, but is it perfect? From from it. Kudos to whoever pointed out our rating system.
    Msu_Man04
    J C
    Hurley sounds stripped down? Seriously? This is the most overproduced Weezer album I've heard, and I've heard them all. Every time there's a spot for an extra guitar or a mirror-sheen polished synth there is, imho its draining to listen to.
    ticklemeemo
    flame843
    ac/dc really didn't pioneer anything at all. they make fun music, but they never did anything to push the envelope. on topic, this is a nice breath of fresh air from weezer. theri best since maladroit imo.
    EpiExplorer
    SilverSpurs616
    C'mon UG..all 10s? I expect this from hysterical teenage fanboys, but not from you This makes me a saaaaad panda
    iceman45
    Bamitchell wrote: False_God wrote: Have listened to a few songs now and its pretty good. Can someone tell me why they called it Hurley and why he's on the cover? Are they big lost fans? haha I think they are big Jorge Gracia fans, but I'm not quite sure the reason. I'm assuming for the lols.
    I heard that one of the band members was in love with the guy's blissful smile
    giveitaname87
    I've listened through this album about twice now, and nothing stands out to me. I just can't get into it, which isn't to say it's bad, but I guess it might not be for me. I'll give it a few more tries, though, since many people seem to be digging it.
    Bamitchell
    JimmyC8277
    i thought the album was good...i don't think as good as blue though. theres about five tracks i absolutely love and i'm sure the rest will grow on me as well
    False_God