Hurley review by Weezer

• Released: Sep 13, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Weezer: Hurley

Hurley has a pop sound that should be familiar to Weezer fans, but is more syth-heavy than their past albums. If listened to from beginning to end, the songs all kind of just blend together, and not in a good way. Except for the lead single, "Memories," it's all pretty forgettable, especially compared to some of Weezer's older work. It almost sounds like their label said, "Put out an album before September 15th. GO!" It isn't a terrible album, but it feels like the maturity and comfort that Weezer demonstrated so well with The Red Album is completely gone and now they're pandering to the radio listeners.

Weezer's most recent self-titled album (the Red Album) was said to be Rivers Cuomo coming to terms with reaching middle age and having a child. Raditude, their other most recent release, was said to be his reflection on his younger days. Both of them felt like natural evolutions for the band. Hurley feels somewhat out in left field, however. There really isn't a lot of the catchy melodies that Weezer is known for here.

Hurley might not absolutely ruin your opinion of Weezer, especially if you enjoyed the way they experimented with synthesizers on Raditude, but feels bland and forgettable. Cuomo might be losing his touch with his amazing songwriting skills, because there's just not a lot here to satisfy Weezer fans. Expect to hear a lot of Hurley on the radio, but don't expect to be wowed by it. Download "Memories," but the rest of the album isn't worth it.

Lion_Slicer
    The Two wrote: If Colors by BTBAM couldn't get a 10/10 then nothing ever released by any band ever should be able to get a 10/10. Don't get me wrong I like Weezer but not that much.
    Jeez, why is everyone name-dropping Colors in a Weezer article? XD though I guess it's my go-to "10/10" album as well. Maybe 5 albums I've ever heard deserve a rating that I consider "perfect" and I sincerely doubt that Hurley rates a perfect score THE DAY IT CAME OUT. Seriously, even if you got an advance copy, not enough time to really judge fairly. If first impressions were everything, then I would rate Colors closer to 7/10.