Make Believe review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 2005
Weezer: Make Believe

My first thought when I was hearing this sound was that Rivers had definitely been trying to bring together a sound that all of his fans could agree on. On the last two albums some fans (myself not included) were deeply dissapointed because they were not the autobiographical lyrics that die hard weezer fans saw in Pinkerton. But now that it has been almost 10 years since the release of Pinkerton Rivers has attempted to move on from his days at Harvard. This album has adapted a sound that is very hard to describe. Bands that come to mind when I hear this album are The Police, The Cars, David Bowie (during his '80s dance phase) and even Led Zeppelin on the excellent Rock Song "My Best Friend." It's very keyboard driven with very heavy hitting guitars, fans of The Blue ALbum and Pinkerton eat your heart out.

There seems to be much more to the vocals then was previously seen in The Green Album and Maladroit. Rivers really can sing, and he shows it by hitting some incredibly high notes in "Perfect Situation." The lyrics are darker, the emotions there, and all the songs are coming straight from the heart. Rivers is truly a genius.

I highly reccomend that you listen to this album with an open mind because it doesn't have the exact sound of Pinkerton but it sure does have something special. So strap those headphones and allow Weezer to take you to places that you didn't were possible, Make Believe.