Make Believe review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Weezer: Make Believe

Content notwithstanding, this album sounds good enough. The instrumentation has taken a turn in a different direction for the Weezer fellas. "This Is Such A Pity" is very much an homage to new wave rock, it sounds like an uptempo Richard Marx tune. I'm all for that. I enjoy that song probably more than any on the album because you can seperate it from the others. Weezer just doesn't do any trailblazing with this album. It's too boring. It doesn't make you care or feel anything as the Blue Album and Pinkerton did. Very ordinary.

The lyrics, at times, seem silly. Rivers has traded symbolism and imagery for a very literal approach, and in most cases it is very distracting. Saying "Hold Me" over and over and over is a great way to drill those words into a person's head, but not a great way to make a person feel something. As with the rest of the album, the lyrics are very mediocre. "We Are All On Drugs" is pretty lame. That is honestly the best way to put it. How many woah-woahs does it take to get into a world record book? Just give the title to Rivers and we can be done with it.

There is something ingrained in the music that immediately gives you the feeling of, "uh-oh, am I going to like this?" That's exactly what went through my head literally five seconds into the album. I've given the album its due listen. It just doesn't feel right. "Beverly Hills" is without a doubt the worst Weezer song I have heard. The whole album just seems very contrived and calculated. In ways, more so than the Green Album. At least then, as listeners, we knew what to expect from each song, it is a nice listening experience. Make Believe takes you one way, builds you up, then drops you by the end of each song. For an album as highly anticipated as this one, it simply does not deliver. This album is a generic C student, mediocre and average in every way. And it really hurts to say this. I love Weezer, but this one just doesn't work. I've enjoyed every other album a lot. I thought Maladroit was a fun, interesting album. The Green Album worked for me too. I'm very sorry to say that Make Believe doesn't.