Make Believe review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Weezer: Make Believe

The first song off this album I heard was Beverly Hills off the radio. I thought it was pretty simple sounding but at the same time kinda catchy. A few monthes later I bought the album and like any other album I buy I listened to it all the way through. After Beverly Hills the sound of the album changed drasticly. It was more dark I guess you could say. I could also tell that the guitar for the rest of the album was going to be pretty mediocre, there weren't even any semi-complex riffs, just power chords. I did like the song Peace, but it was really the only one I knew I liked from the start. A lot of the other songs I didn't find immidiatly catchy. They did add in some keyboard which I'm not really for or against. I think that the time it took them to release this album should have allowed them to be more creative.

I've been a Weezer fan since the first album but these lyrics are by far the worst off any previous Weezer album. They wern't inspired at all, and they were pretty repetative too. When I look back on songs from previous albums the inspiration in the lyrics doesn't even compare to songs like In The Garage, (one of my favorites), or El Scorcho for example.

I don't know, maybe this album will grow on me as I listen to it more and more but right off the bat this album doesn't have anything you can categorize as really special. Like I said the song Peace is really the only song I liked immediatly. I'd say if they release another album take more time on it, add some real emotion, and try to capture some of the happy-go-lucky kind of music they had in the Blue Album. I've been a fan since Blue, but this album just didnt do it for me. Sorry Weezer I love you guys I'm a big fan but this album was a let down for me.