Make Believe review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Weezer: Make Believe

Rick Rubin got the best work out of Rivers I've heard in a while. His vocals sound great, the distorted guitars are balanced perfectly with their new usage of keyboards. Nothing innovative, but 12 typical Weez pop gems. Rivers is still writing with power chords and somehow he keeps coming up with solid hooks.

He seemed to have gone from a clever, witty, and metaphorical style to a very literal style of writing. Some songs I will admit are just bad, in "My Best Friend" the lyrics are, "You're my best friend, and I love you." In "Hold Me" the lyrics are, "I am cold, hold me" (times 10). Some offer more insight into his insane mind then the last two albums (Pardon Me, Haunt You), and the album hits a high with Perfect Situation. All the songs are about Rivers' minimal luck with women, which we have gotten used to over the years. However, he has laid it on thick in this album, and there's no Slob, My Name Is Jonas, or Good Life to break up the repitition.

The best songs is the 80'ish "This Is Such A Pity," Green Album but better "Perfect Situation," and raw emotion of "Haunt You Everyday." We Are All On Drugs is amazingly rocking, esp. Live, but I'm indifferent to Rivers' singing/rapping talents. The weakest songs that just lack musical range and lyrical ability are My Best Friend, The Other Way, Freak Me Out, and their first single, Beverly Hills. I have grown into this album and I am starting to enjoy the sound. It seems Rivers has finally realized he's almost 35 and not going to write a song like buddy holly ever again (i.e. keep fishin). I won't even compare it to Blue or Pinkerton like everyone does, I will just take it for what it is, which is good Weezer music and much better than most of the pop punk or Nickelback type crap rock out there. The true test is in a few months, if the album will be on the shelves or still in my CD player.