Make Believe review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Weezer: Make Believe

Musically, this album is 'run o' the mill' and standard fare rock. Intentional? Probably, knowing River's love of literal sarcasm. Sure, they are good guitar players and musicians as a whole, but that's what makes this album so frustrating to me. I know they are capable of better. I don't think it quite hits that 'we meant it to sound like this' level either, or it might be understandable. Quite honestly, it sounds a bit complacent and lazy. With a gross amount of filler and cliche' riffs, it's hard not to hold this one up against the more itelligently flavored Pinkerton. Yes, I know they are not the same band they were in 1994 or 1996 for that matter. But that's all the more reason to expect something greater. It's a matter of potential. We've heard it, we've seen it. We as fans want to be blown away, not just pacified. As a musician myself, I do feel a certain amount of responsibilty in that arena. To say the sound/instrumentation is bad would be a lie. It's not bad, but it's definately average. I don't think they could do bad, they're too talented for that. But it does sound like they have produced a record for the sake of producing a record, something not right about that.

Oh this one is just sad. Lyrics are terrible. Please, they have shown us some amazing lyrics. We all know this. These lyrics are literal and simple. It sounds like a 12 year old with a crush on his babysitter wrote the lyrics for them. I don't think much more needs to be said here. Maybe these lyrics would fly if it were a Bad English album or Air Supply, but this is Weezer, we expect some more intelligence, it's that simple.

I don't buy Weezer albums to hear how they've improved as musicians. I want to hear witty, humurous, intelligent rock. That's what Weezer is to me. This album is far from any of those things. Overall it's insulting.