Make Believe review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Weezer: Make Believe

I only recently started listening to Weezer when it was practical to have all their albums on my iPod for easy access, but after listening to a few of their songs I thought it would be worth my time to buy their albums, so I did. I was impressed. While I wasnt waiting the length of time some have been for this new album, I went out and bought it, no questions asked. I had heard "Beverly Hills" and wasn't overly impressed, but not disappointed either, and since 90% of singles are the worst music on an album I figured what the hell? I guess all I can say is "meh". Save for 3 songs, the album really didnt stick with me. It just didn't sound like Weezer.

The thing about Weezer is lyrics can go in either direction. While most songs werent overly complicated or emotional, neither were a lot of previous "hits" on other albums (El Scorcho comes to mind, if I recall correctly, Rivers detests that song). But for certain, its mediocre work. I suppose I shouldnt be complaining too much, because I know I couldn't write a lyrically decent song if I tried, but neither can half of the pop rock bands out there. I guess thats why I expected more from this album. As others have pointed out, it seems like they tried to be mainstream here. While songs like "My Name Is Jonas" or "Slob" may not make the most sense, and songs like "Pink Triangle" at least made you think (I actually looked into what exactly a pink triangle symbolized and why), the songs on "Make Believe" aren't overly complicated at all.

As someone else said, 2 songs into Make Believe I was getting that "Uh oh am I going to like this?" feeling that I've gotten many times before. It seems that people who appreciate old school Weezer the most don't jive with this album. I wasn't a fan of the Green Album either, but I'd say this is worse. The 3 songs I enjoy the most (Being Pity, Drugs, and Perfect Situation) sound good to me, but I still rate this as being their worst album to date. Take that as what it's worth, I still think Blue was their best work, and is definately one of my most played albums. I'm glad I got Make Believe discounted, and I really dont know if I'm listening to the same album that all you people rating it 5's are. Maybe Weezer was trying to mature their sound, and maybe this is a transitional album. If they are successful at maturing as Blink was with their last album then its worth the wait and I'll definately buy their next album. Hopefully they don't break up before that happens.