Make Believe review by Weezer

• Released: May 10, 2005
Weezer: Make Believe

Weezer's fifth album, Make Believe, has definitely followed the pop/punk trend of the time. The album is almost pro-tooled to death. By this I mean that Weezer had a big label, a lot of money, and tons of time to record the album. It was mixed to perfection in the studio, has a very modern sound, and there are no mistakes. Compare this to the blue album or pinkerton, where amps were buzzing and guitars were squealing all over the place (not a bad sound though). Those albums almost had a grungy, nirvana feel. Well, that sort of sound is long gone, and this is the perfected, high quality studio version. Anyway, the sound is catchy and the solos are great. Most of the songs have a sort of melancholy sound to them. Weezer really doesn't break any musical ground on the album, and they pretty much stick to the bread and butter sound of the green album. Nonetheless, the sound is good. The sound is pop/punk. The songs are very catchy, especially Beverly Hills and We are All on Drugs. This album kept the distinctive Weezer feel. It had the sometimes quirky feel to it. But overall, the sound was melancholy. Good overall sound.

The lyrics of the album were definitely not the most original thing. They basically dealt with being lonely or rejected. But they did it in an "oh well" sort of way. They didn't do it in a sort of Linkin Park, whiny, angsty way. Think of melancholy lyrics like the Beatles would sometimes use. Anyway, Rivers Cuomo really used his voice well on the album (like all of weezer's stuff) and the lyrics really complied with the overall musical sound of the record. Rivers even does some falsetto on the album, and it sounds pretty good. Overall, the lyrics were nothing special, but they did their part faithfully in completing the overall albums sound.

Overall, this is a good, solid album. Go right ahead and buy it. However, if you are expecting an early Weezer sound (the blue album, pinkerton), you might want to listen to some of it to make sure about your purchase. If you liked the Green album and Maladroit, then yes, this album is for you. To me, "We Are All On Drugs" really stands out as one of the best on the album. It's got some cool riffs and is very catchy. Almost every song on the album will get stuck in your head, as they are all very catchy. There is no filler on the album, and that's one of the things I like. Also, all the songs fit into the album's overall theme, which makes it an album, and not just a random compilation of songs. If it were stolen or lost, I probably would not buy it again. This is not because it's not a really good album, but because I've already supported the band, I would just downlaod it. But the album is definitely worth the fifteen bucks I paid for it.