Maladroit review by Weezer

• Released: May 14, 2002
Weezer: Maladroit

Well, probably my favorite modern rock band making music, Weezer, has released a new album a year (give or take some) after there last album (the green album). This fact was just a little weird because of the like 7 year album drought after Pinkerton, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that they didn't just rush to get a new album outwhile they were hot, but it was well done and great. There is another bassist on the team, (the 3rd) Scott Shriner. The last one Mickey committed himself to a mental hospital or something, and Scott was a temp. fill in. But here's here to stay I guess. The only thing is I think he uses a pick, and a pick on bass is pussy. But he is still good. One thing old Weezer fans will notice in this album is it is a lot harder rock then any of there other albums. They must of gotten different guitars and such, but the songs keep a sort of catchyness despite the harder hitting rock. They've broken there three album sort of rule of having exactly 10 songs by having 13 in this one, which is pleasant because the songs are kinda sort, each 2 to 3 minutes long. Which is still good because no one likes a song that is unnecessarily long. The songs are good, but it seems to me there was a little to much rock in the album. Its nice to see though Rivers keeps solos in his songs altough the maybe sort. The songs that stick out the most are Death and Destruction (#5) and Burndt Jam (#7). Death and Destruction is despite its name a slow balled and has a lot of fealing and emotion in it. Burndt Jam is a sort of tropical funk song like Island in the sun, but better. One last neat thing too is that the CD comes with some clips of live performances and such that are nice. The more I listened to Maladriot, the more I started to like it. I would strongly recomend for Weezer fans to pick it up and plain rock fans should think about it too, its worth it.