Maladroit review by Weezer

• Released: May 14, 2002
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Weezer: Maladroit

Stronger riffs, faster songs, good solos? This Weezer isn't different, but they are definitely a tad more mainstream. The music, as always is good, heavy pop-rock with more hooks than you are likely to see at a pirate convention, however the heart seems to be missing. Written while touring, Maladroit was a rush release that was designed to travel off the succuss of the Green Album. Rushed is a good word when trying to describe this album. It's not that Maladroit is a bad album, however weighed up against the likes of the Blue Album, Pinkerton and to a lesser extent the Green Album, Maladroit just seems to have a lot less thought.

The music is of the same Weezer standard, and Rivers still keeps his geeky charm, but the lyrics really seem to let this album down. "Cheese smells so good, On a burnt piece of lamb, Fact of the year Who could beat up your man?" One of the many lyrics on this album that had me absolutely stumped as to what the hell Rivers was on about. Possibly a personal experience or joke, but that doesn't help a confused audience of fans. No heart, no brain, no thought what-so-ever. To many that's just a good rock album and fair enough. To me that's no good.

Pinkerton was an open confessional and was said to be the best Weezer album ever released. Maladroit is a closed, superficial, made-for-mainstream album. Many are hesitant to call it the worst album Weezer have released, but it is nowhere near the first two and quite a distance from the third. It's not an album I'd use as a coaster for local beers, that's a job for Sugar Ray or Simple Plan, but I wouldn't hesitate resting my Heineken on Maladroit.